QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

Could it be professional differences of opinion which might actually be less?

Nope...its got to be yelling, kicking, and screaming. This philosophy supports the idea of tension and thus dissent much better in the cadet camp than the more likely (and of course, ludicrous) idea of differing proffesional opinions.

I wonder how many staffers at pioneer want to play something other than irish music every year...I doubt they have to have a duel to the death to decide who's 'vision' wins out.... :P

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly Mike, if thats all you can contribute to the discussion every time you post, that everyone who doesnt like Hopkins vision is a hater/stupid/closed minded, then we got the point. Must be great though to be the open minded one in this sea of cretins.

Are you trying to deny that your opinion on this whole matter might be a bit clouded because of other issues? Come on. You're better than that.

. . .and it's not about being open minded. It's about paying attention to the facts and not blowing things out of proportion for the sake of who is involved in the circumstance.

funny how things settle into place and we begin to accept it as it is evolving over time

Have you ever seen a rule change reversed? What choice do we have? Drum corps wasn't broken, but they had to fix it anyway. Troopers were unable to compete on G bugles, and Pioneer is the only Div I left on them. See where they finished?

Now, I'm not saying either one of the above named corps were of finalist caliber, but the DCI/judging community pretty much was on the Bb/F bandwagon within 3 years of the rule change.

Regarding some of these "evolving" rule changes, the Bb and amplification rules were submitted, and re-submitted, and re-re-submitted for over 10 years. What are the chances that a lot of directors thought, "OK, OK. Pass it and we won't have to hear it anymore."?

That's why I think a moratorium should be placed on rule changes for about 5 years. Let everyone settle in to what we have now. Also, if a rule proposal fails for three consecutive years, it's tabled for three more before re-submission.

Just some thoughts...

Garry in Vegas

PS It's all Momeesa's fault!

I heard he worships the devil and dances naked under the first full moon after the spring equinox.

b**bs

LISA! You promised you'd never speak of that again!

(I just don't get why you're giving the credit to GH!)

:grouphug:

Garry in Vegas

I thought The Cadets program could have stood on its own without narration. This being said, the narration was simply a programming choice. Is it really any different than picking color guard unis that don't sit well with the audience?

Sure, many said the narration was too much or intrusive or childish or corny...but with it, The Cadets were still less than a point from taking the title, and their second place finish was probably more from fourth place finishes in color guard and percussion---not from the narration.

So while I would have chosen to press the mute button, enough of the post-season "blame game." To be honest, you can't stop ANYONE (The Cadets, Hopkins, Cavies, BD...) from doing what they want to do with their program. Remember: "I believe in choice..."

Have you ever seen a rule change reversed? What choice do we have? Drum corps wasn't broken, but they had to fix it anyway.

Drum corps wasn't broke when they permitted a piston on a bugle...or permitted timpani...or mallets....or let corps start someplace other than the endzone....and finish on the field...it just changes.

Regarding some of these "evolving" rule changes, the Bb and amplification rules were submitted, and re-submitted, and re-re-submitted for over 10 years. What are the chances that a lot of directors thought, "OK, OK. Pass it and we won't have to hear it anymore."?

Uh, how about 'none'.

I've been trying to find a counter to the "they're just actors reciting their lines" argument. It does seem ironic that they are reciting scripted lines that have a theme of choice but hey they are actors. There are times when actors reciting lines doesn't work. Like if Robert Downey jr. was playing the role of a straight laced cop with a serious anti-drug message you would probably go "huh?" but for various reasons that doesn't apply here. Actors giving speeches is new to dc and some people are having a hard time with the concept. My only problem with it is that it seems so Disney stage show cheesy as opposed to maybe a cool Laurie Anderson performance art type thing that it could be if done right. I'm sure someone will get it right if they have the courage to keep trying.

Nope...its got to be yelling, kicking, and screaming. This philosophy supports the idea of tension and thus dissent much better in the cadet camp than the more likely (and of course, ludicrous) idea of differing proffesional opinions.

I wonder how many staffers at pioneer want to play something other than irish music every year...I doubt they have to have a duel to the death to decide who's 'vision' wins out.... :P

Then again, look at how many recent "ex-Pioneer staff" there are. I don't think that example advances your point.

Have you ever seen a rule change reversed? What choice do we have? Drum corps wasn't broken, but they had to fix it anyway. Troopers were unable to compete on G bugles, and Pioneer is the only Div I left on them. See where they finished?

Now, I'm not saying either one of the above named corps were of finalist caliber, but the DCI/judging community pretty much was on the Bb/F bandwagon within 3 years of the rule change.

Correction - within one year.