QUESTION about Hopkins, Blame

You're being serious, aren't you? I mean... I didn't see a [/sarcasm] anywhere in your post, so I have to assume you're being serious.

Can you let me know of a situation where a kid in a corps went to the director and said "You know, I don't like this part in the opener. I don't want to play it. Can you re-write it?"... and then the corps director says "SURE little Jimmy.... what you would like to play?"

:mmm:

Can I have some of what you're drinking?

You sure you want a swig? It's pretty bitter.

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't choose which notes to play either....or dots to march...they are given to them by the designers.

That's correct. I don't blame them for the design they are given, but congratulate them on how well they did it. That doesn't mean I like the design.

Wow. What a horrible dictator. We should change George Hopkins name to Kim Jung Il. Wonder how it is he forces the kids to stay in the corps. Chains? Electric Shock Therapy? How about the hundreds that show up for auditions year in and year out. I'll bet George busses those kids in to make it look like there's lots of kids auditioning and really those kids just live with their families in the work camp he owns.

Who said he was horrible? Talk about extremism. I am very much against his vision. He doesn't have to listen to his members, staff or audiences. He has shown that. Kids come either because they like it, or in spite of it. There is no doubt that The Cadets have an excellent unit with a top notch staff. So, you can cut out the theatrics and read my posts for what they are.

It's amazing the lengths some of you will/have gone to trash Hopkins. This crusade some of you are on needs to stop.

How about the crusade of those who want to see his vision implemented?

Who said he was horrible? Talk about extremism. I am very much against his vision. He doesn't have to listen to his members, staff or audiences. He has shown that. Kids come either because they like it, or in spite of it. There is no doubt that The Cadets have an excellent unit with a top notch staff. So, you can cut out the theatrics and read my posts for what they are.

You're the one that was talking about how horrible it is that he "doesn't care what the kids think, the staff thinks or anyone else thinks. All he cares about is his Vision".

I do read your posts for what they are.

ampssuck

You're the one that was talking about how horrible it is that he "doesn't care what the kids think, the staff thinks or anyone else thinks. All he cares about is his Vision".

I do read your posts for what they are.

ampssuck

Did I say "horrible?" No.

Did I say he was a "bad director?" No.

What I said that was he doesn't care what a poll says, he will follow his vision.

Most directors do consult with their design team. Apparently, that holds little weight with George as well. Not as much as his vision.

George must be a good director. The evidence is in the organization he developed and maintains. He cares about his members (but not their opinions) and wants to teach them to be productive and happy. However, I also believe him to be an egotist who believes his vision is, by far, the best and he doesn't want to hear any others. He is extremely pushy about it and won't stop, even after decades of people saying "no." Once he gets a certain 10 to agree with him, his vision becomes what DCI must do.

Extremism is taking an issue that every corps faces like having the design team make choices for the corps and having the kids perform it and acting like it is something unique to The Cadets only to make your weak point that Hopkins is evil and does not care.

That is extreme.

Well, you are equating "listening" to "agreeing with", it seems. You apparently think that because a staffer (and we have no idea who, or how many, or what they really thought/said) doesn't care for something the design should be changed to satisfy that person, or people. That's pretty extreme to me.

The corps has been successful for a long time...and a lot of the staff has been with them quite some time as well.

Did I say "horrible?" No.

Did I say he was a "bad director?" No.

What I said that was he doesn't care what a poll says, he will follow his vision.

Most directors do consult with their design team. Apparently, that holds little weight with George as well. Not as much as his vision.

George must be a good director. The evidence is in the organization he developed and maintains. He cares about his members (but not their opinions) and wants to teach them to be productive and happy. However, I also believe him to be an egotist who believes his vision is, by far, the best and he doesn't want to hear any others. He is extremely pushy about it and won't stop, even after decades of people saying "no." Once he gets a certain 10 to agree with him, his vision becomes what DCI must do.

hahahaha

I don't remember being asked for my show design input when I marched.

It didn't ever happen to me either.

The other thing I find peculiar...

When are the rules voted on? Late Dec? Early Jan?

Most corps don't even have their membership set in stone at that time of year. If some directors are really polling their 'members', what they're really polling are people who are auditioning to be in the corps.