Interview with George Hopkins

Hmmm....might be a hard transition to make, but in the long run I think this could lead to seeing much more fan-friendly shows. Less emphasis on intricate detail and design, but more on entertainment.

Just imagine the uproar here when only one particular corps at a show doesn't get the encore. I like the idea as long as there would be a moratorium on anybody getting their feelings hurt when people don't want to hear/see more from them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine the uproar here when only one particular corps at a show doesn't get the encore. I like the idea as long as there would be a moratorium on anybody getting their feelings hurt when people don't want to hear/see more from them.

Yeah, that would be a major downside.

Also, how would the timing work. Okay Crown you go on 7:35. Unless any (or all) of the corps before you have an encore, then you might go on as late as 8:15. Of course, we won't know that until it happens, so you better just be here at 7:30 and hang around the gate to be safe.

--Or--

Attention audience, there will now be an extra 10 minute break between each corps because we scheduled enough time to allow for encores, but you haven't demanded enough. But the concession stands are out of hot dogs. Enjoy!!!

:P

"I would open up the rules to allow for electronics and other instruments. I just believe that we need to try all tools to come up with the best possible product."

I oppose this idea, but I'm sure things are going in this direction.

I am not a creative person really by any means. I have however head enough people from the creative realm say the just the opposite is true, that they are most creative when they have the least to work with. The old and pretty much accepted adage "necessity is the mother of invention" is probably true, and related to artistic creation. So, I do not accept his philosophy here as fact, and believe the opposite might well be true.

As for the instant encore thing, I don't imagine many corps would not be asked to continue if put in. The schedule would simply be written with the encore time on the books. Someone actually gets sent away, you have a bit of an intermission. The longer time slots mean that show might be able to be put one with a couple few corps allowing for there to be more shows, or reducing some of the travel demands.

This could be a really terrible idea. As ill-prepared as corps shows are for the first few weeks of the season, this feels kind of sketchy. An argument could be made that the extra time before tour would give them more time to prepare. But, conversley, corps are likely to use that time to pad the show and still bring a 3/4 program to the first competition. And with a shorter season, that would mean less quality shows for the fans.

Funny thing is, his corps got beat early season by an ill-prepared Cavies team. Let's not shorten the season. Remember, once it used to be 12 weeks long... you can never make the season longer, so let's please hold on to 8 weeks. But let's start penalizing short shows from Day 1. I think it's highly unfair to subject show minimum rules later in the year.

Poor planning on the corps' part doesn't equate to less $ paid for tickets.

As for the instant encore thing, I don't imagine many corps would not be asked to continue if put in. The schedule would simply be written with the encore time on the books. Someone actually gets sent away, you have a bit of an intermission. The longer time slots mean that show might be able to be put one with a couple few corps allowing for there to be more shows, or reducing some of the travel demands.

Yes -- my earlier post was written in jest. Obviously, it could all be worked out and agreed to ahead of time. But what you posted here, I think, highlights the potential ultimate end-game here -- intended or not: Fewer corps, more members, longer shows.

I am not a creative person really by any means. I have however head enough people from the creative realm say the just the opposite is true, that they are most creative when they have the least to work with. The old and pretty much accepted adage "necessity is the mother of invention" is probably true, and related to artistic creation. So, I do not accept his philosophy here as fact, and believe the opposite might well be true.

This is easy -- let's just get the total show time down to 15 minutes instead of 17.

IMO there is no "one way" to be creative. Total openness to constrictive rules...they can all foster creativity.

I can do him one better.

Bring back the starters pistol. After it sounds, the crowd can clap, allowing the corps to stay on the field or "boo" compelling the drum major to cut off, salute, and march off the field. The timing and penalty judge will have a gong that he will strike if the boo's have it.

I'd also like to propose on-field commercial advertisement ($$$), jet-packs (drill on any axis), and individual member mics (makes dynamics easy!).

And people call Hopkins progressive...

Funny thing is, his corps got beat early season by an ill-prepared Cavies team. Let's not shorten the season. Remember, once it used to be 12 weeks long... you can never make the season longer, so let's please hold on to 8 weeks. But let's start penalizing short shows from Day 1. I think it's highly unfair to subject show minimum rules later in the year.

Poor planning on the corps' part doesn't equate to less $ paid for tickets.

"Ill-prepared" shows are penalized... Nobody's scoring in the 90's in June :P. (Were the Cadets more prepared than they? Though I can't help but wonder if being defending champion plays out slight bias early season... Though SCV beat BD twice, when they only had 8 minutes of their show on the field, and BD had a "complete" show... so, huh?)

Many programs are planned very well... just differently. For some, the end date is the prize the staff has their eye on, especially when scores and placements don't matter as much. For others, they try to get as good/clean as possible right out of the gate. That said, I think many corps staffs (staves? *shrug*) would adjust to a shorter, or longer, season easily. 2004 was a week shorter (not counting ToC), and everyone was still stellar (BD, Cavies, and SCV especially) at Finals...

Nonetheless, I agree it should still be held to 8 weeks :).