Interview with George Hopkins

And for those of you who say "fewer miles by any means", fewer miles and shorter seasons offer fewer opportunities to sell tickets and souvies. Let's not suggest that a shorter season is beneficial just because it's less travel. In reality, it might be the same travel in shorter time, and that's not beneficial to anyone.

If more drum corps shows were entertaining, then more people would come see them.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the one thing that's kinda' frustrating about him. In the face of widespread disapproval for things such as woodwinds, he continues to bring it up. I guess you have to admire him for not giving a flip about what people think about his ideas.

Why should anyone change their own opinion just because some others do not agree with them?

Why should anyone change their own opinion just because some others do not agree with them?

I don't see anyone suggesting he "change his opinion". I have seen people suggest that he recognize when his opinion is so overwhelmingly opposed that a rule change proposal is a waste of everyone's time - but he's entitled to hold his opinion.

I don't see anyone suggesting he "change his opinion". I have seen people suggest that he recognize when his opinion is so overwhelmingly opposed that a rule change proposal is a waste of everyone's time - but he's entitled to hold his opinion.

If he...or anyone...has a strong opinion and a rule change would help bring about the implementation of that vision, of course that person should create a proposal for the winter meetings. If it gets voted down, so be it.

Its interesting to me that he's worried about how expensive it is to tour, but he wants to add woodwinds to corps.

So, a full line of woodwinds eh? (With, I assume, more members to match). All those flutes, clarinets and saxophones. Nope...no major cost there. None.

Not too mention the boxes upon boxes of reeds you'll need...unless you're making the members buy those.

I need the secret to that, because my high schoolers can go through reeds like NOBODY'S business!

I need the secret to that, because my high schoolers can go through reeds like NOBODY'S business!

I played bari sax in my HS concert and jazz bands, and I found the reeds to be quite tasty! :P

I know what you mean, though. I was a master reed-destroyer back in the day. I'd go to put the ligature on a brand new one, and seemingly 1/2 the time I'd slice through the reed. :doh:

come on people, these are design choices...and as was stated earlier, amplification actually is not that expensive and lowers costs in the long run...

huh? how does amplification lower costs??