Interview with George Hopkins

Easy. It preserves the instruments longer. Rather than going out and buying new mallet percussion instruments every few years, they can be kept around longer because the keys/frames/resonators will stay in better shape for longer.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played bari sax in my HS concert and jazz bands, and I found the reeds to be quite tasty!

I know what you mean, though. I was a master reed-destroyer back in the day. I'd go to put the ligature on a brand new one, and seemingly 1/2 the time I'd slice through the reed.

In our case, the kid just manages to somehow make their reed VANISH into thin air.

Its a very neat...but expensive...trick.

I might actually agree with shortening the season.

A couple of weeks less touring will save a few thousand dollars. I also know there are instances that prevent high school kids and college kids from being able to march because they don't even get out of school until some point in June and corps move in on Memorial Day or even earlier in some circumstances.

If he...or anyone...has a strong opinion and a rule change would help bring about the implementation of that vision, of course that person should create a proposal for the winter meetings. If it gets voted down, so be it.

You don't really believe that, though.

If you did, you'd have no problem with "someone" ( :doh: ) proposing the repeal of amplification on a perennial basis. ^0^

I might actually agree with shortening the season.

A couple of weeks less touring will save a few thousand dollars. I also know there are instances that prevent high school kids and college kids from being able to march because they don't even get out of school until some point in June and corps move in on Memorial Day or even earlier in some circumstances.

Save a few thousand... is that before or after all the ticket sales, appearance fees, etc?

By that logic, let's not have a season, and make lots of money!

Edited by drumcat

Just had to say this....

Read this thread last night around 1:30 and then went to bed.....

Dreamed that DC had been combined with arena football :P

I'll let ur imagination figure the rest out.

Just had to say this....

Read this thread last night around 1:30 and then went to bed.....

Dreamed that DC had been combined with arena football :P

I'll let ur imagination figure the rest out.

Anything to make DCI more marketable!

You don't really believe that, though.

If you did, you'd have no problem with "someone" ( :doh: ) proposing the repeal of amplification on a perennial basis. ^0^

You don't know what I believe...or don't believe. That's a rather arrogant statement to make.

I don't have a problem with someone doing that. Why do you think I do? My own opinion is that it is silly, but who knows, maybe they would get it passed.

huh? how does amplification lower costs??

Less wear and tear on very expensive mallet instruments due to better technique and mallet selection...this extends their life, thereby reducing costs of replacement instruments.