Where exactly ARE the 20th century DCA recordings?

Let's say someone - or maybe ALOT of people - wanted to buy DCA recordings from before 1998? Does anyone know how this can be done?

Do the masters exist?

I'm sure they can be found and put to better use than just sitting in someone's basement.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tape doesn't burn well, so I'd say basement sitting is probably as good a use as any.

www.digitalcds.com has them....

Have bought from there while back and happy with what I got...

Edit: http://www.digitalcds.com/dca.html is the DCA Champs page

PS - For some reason 1968 is a missing year....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

A recording of the Sunrisers from DCA's in 1968 is on the "Sunriser Gold" CD. From what I understand, it's something like a second-or-third generation recording.... remastered as best as possible, I believe by Frank Dorritie and Charlie Schiavone.

IMO, it's very cool recording.... almost has a "ghost corps" quality to it. Sun's hornline sounded really "on" at that show. I've never heard that triple-tongueing trio in the Sunriser classic "The Joker" played better.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

For whatever reason, I don't recall, but I seem to remember that there wasn't any recording made of DCA finals in 1968. Because of that, I bought Fleetwood's two-record set of the Yankee Rebels' 'March of Champions' contest which I think was the only major DCA show recorded that season. Maybe others here can verify that and supply some background as to the reason this happened.

I believe the Buccaneers won the show and Sunrisers were perhaps second. I believe all the top corps were there and recorded: Hawthorne, Hurricanes, Skyliners, plus the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and the Rebels. Perhaps the Sunriser recording Fran refers to is from that show. The old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was huge, and the recording has tremendous echo/backlash at times, especailly from the starting line and the end zone/finish line -- remember those?

I'd have to dig out the old records from the collection to tell you more. Maybe tomorrow!

For whatever reason, I don't recall, but I seem to remember that there wasn't any recording made of DCA finals in 1968. Because of that, I bought Fleetwood's two-record set of the Yankee Rebels' 'March of Champions' contest which I think was the only major DCA show recorded that season. Maybe others here can verify that and supply some background as to the reason this happened.

I believe the Buccaneers won the show and Sunrisers were perhaps second. I believe all the top corps were there and recorded: Hawthorne, Hurricanes, Skyliners, plus the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and the Rebels. Perhaps the Sunriser recording Fran refers to is from that show. The old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore was huge, and the recording has tremendous echo/backlash at times, especailly from the starting line and the end zone/finish line -- remember those?

I'd have to dig out the old records from the collection to tell you more. Maybe tomorrow!

I have the Bucs legacy audio disks with 68 on it and I could have sworn that its from DCA Finals. We did win the show and The Long Island Conservatory Of Music did come in 2nd that year.

Bought 1968 Steel City Spectacle of Music CD from DCW few years ago.

Buccaneers, Skyliners, Brigadiers, Crusaders, Sunriser and Westshoremen Bonnie Scots

Another possible for '68 Sun.....

Speaking of drum corps recordings.

DCI Finals for this year will have a buzzing in the background from the lights in the stadium.

I thought it was the feedback from the amplification but it was the lights.

It was horrible.

I truly hope it doesn't come thru on the recordings, but I doubt it.

I just looked at Fleetwood's site, and it doesn't show any 1968 DCA Championships. They have all the others from 1965 through 1972, their last year, except '68. The 1968 March of Champions is there, and the one corps I neglected to mention was the merged Reilly-Raider Musketeers. In 1973, CRS recorded the DCA.

If any recordings exist of the '68 DCA Finals, they might have been made by another company, or some independent. Once again, I wonder what happened to cause this? Was Fleetwood having some sort of contractual squabble with DCA in 1968?

Honest to God guys..... I am pretty sure that the Sunrisers recording on that Sunriser Gold CD is from the 1968 DCA Championships.

I'll have to confirm this with a well-placed source. :grouphug:

Fran