Where exactly ARE the 20th century DCA recordings?

Honest to God guys..... I am pretty sure that the Sunrisers recording on that Sunriser Gold CD is from the 1968 DCA Championships.

I'll have to confirm this with a well-placed source. :grouphug:

Fran

Ain't it fun how these threads branch out from the OP.... :P

To add to the mystery I got the following out of History of Drum Corps

1968: "Ken Kobold retired from his other DC obligations and... recording American Legion Nationals the next four years". My note: Fleetwood had handled AL before but did not for 1968.

And get this one still 1968:

"SupeRecords lasted only one year but... covered only the New York/Ontario area"

My note: Fleetwood numbered their records in sequence. 1967-1969 has no missing numbers but missing 1968 DCA.

Wondering if Fran is right and Fleetwood recorded but ran into legal issues with selling.

Owe Ken Mason a cold one for this info. :mmm:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone told me that Fleetwood showed up to record the 1968 Championship but there was no electrical outlet at the stadium for their recording equipment.

Speaking of drum corps recordings.

DCI Finals for this year will have a buzzing in the background from the lights in the stadium.

I thought it was the feedback from the amplification but it was the lights.

It was horrible.

I truly hope it doesn't come thru on the recordings, but I doubt it.

You know, I've been hearing this about the HMI lighting in the stadium since Quarterfinals. It BS.

Audio Post technology is such these days that they can filter 99.999% of that sound out ... I've worked on films with HMI lighting, and the buzz, and it's come out fine. Now, if the folks DCI is using has a suite with DAWs that have all the needed software, that's another story. Ain't nothing broke here that money can't fix.

I just looked at Fleetwood's site, and it doesn't show any 1968 DCA Championships. They have all the others from 1965 through 1972, their last year, except '68. The 1968 March of Champions is there, and the one corps I neglected to mention was the merged Reilly-Raider Musketeers. In 1973, CRS recorded the DCA.

If any recordings exist of the '68 DCA Finals, they might have been made by another company, or some independent. Once again, I wonder what happened to cause this? Was Fleetwood having some sort of contractual squabble with DCA in 1968?

nobody and i mean nobody made a recoring of dca in 68. i remember there were no mikes out front and bruni told us there would be no recording. so that show went for the ages. it was a wild finish that year. up and down from prelims to finals.

68 DCA was one of my best... with Brigadiers... I have no idea on the recordings... Super Records was John Laskowski... and Maurice Stith... I believe that - unless she gave them to Charlie - John's daughter has them in Florida...

This will never happen again... All DCA recording contracts now require the relinquishing of the masters (back to DCA) after a "specified" period of time...

Speaking of drum corps recordings.

DCI Finals for this year will have a buzzing in the background from the lights in the stadium.

I thought it was the feedback from the amplification but it was the lights.

It was horrible.

I truly hope it doesn't come thru on the recordings, but I doubt it.

I've bought the DCI Quarterfinals APDs. While you can hear the buzz during silent or very quiet moments, it's not obtrusive.

I'm listening to the Semis APD of Crown right now and am not hearing the buzz as of yet.

The Finals recordings will be mastered at a higher quality than the APDs so it is possible that DCI could minimize or remove the buzz from the recordings.