What is the biggest story from 2007?

What is the biggest story from the 2007 season?  

375 members have voted

1. 1. The time has come to reflect and vote!

• Capital Regiment going inactive for the year
    • Return of the Troopers
    • Madison's very low start (and continual rise for the rest of the season)
    • Crossmen moving to Texas
    • Academy's debut (and strong performance) in Division One
    • Phantom Regiment guard being fully coed
    • .8 separation between Bluecoats/Crown/SCV/Phantom Regiment
    • Cadets use of narration (and getting booed at Semifinals)
    • Bluedevils capturing first place
    • Colts strong performance
    • The number of new uniforms
    • Other (please share!)

Then why was it by far the biggest story on drum corps planet...i mean, if its no big deal and all???
If we could just take away all of the people who will defend Hopkins and The Cadets no matter what, and then all of the guys who will condemn same said regardless and exclude then, we could have some idea how "big" the whole thing really was.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we could just take away all of the people who will defend Hopkins and The Cadets no matter what, and then all of the guys who will condemn same ....

Then there would be 3 people here?? :P

Oh, and honestly, there was plenty of good discussion about the cadets this summer, probably as much or more than the amount of poor discussion. Either way, there was more discussion.

Then why was it by far the biggest story on drum corps planet...i mean, if its no big deal and all???

Will it be as big of a deal in years to come....nope, but this summer, there is no doubt. I was on DCP almost every day...a lot (too much), from the first show to the last, and nothing comes close. I'd go as far to say that the cadets narration controversy got more press then the next 3 or 4 debates put together.

Well, my answer is kind of the same as "VKMello"'s answer: it was a big deal because there are a large number of Cadet fans on dcp, and you challenged darn near each and every posting from a person who didn't like the narration. And, since there were a lot of posters who weighed in saying they didn't like the narration, that plus the rebuttals took up lots and lots of space on dcp. That made it a fun debate, but I think something like the return of the Troopers is much more significant. My opinion.

Well, my answer is kind of the same as "VKMello"'s answer: it was a big deal because there are a large number of Cadet fans on dcp, and you challenged darn near each and every posting from a person who didn't like the narration. And, since there were a lot of posters who weighed in saying they didn't like the narration, that plus the rebuttals took up lots and lots of space on dcp. That made it a fun debate, but I think something like the return of the Troopers is much more significant. My opinion.

The return of a drum corps is of course worth more in the long run. Perhaps there were 3 or 4 threads congratulating them, most of which didnt get past 5 or 10 pages. Cadets on the other hand, have probably racked up over a thousand pages of discussion in the past 4 months. I may have been one of the most active people on here, but there were dozens of people, pro and anti cadet, that posted over the summer. You may say that skewed the date....I say it is the data.

And btw, if you want to accuse me of challenging every (almost) poster who didnt like the narration, I guess I challenged myself as well, because i have stated multiple things i didnt like about the show. I'd like to think you'll forgive me for arguing with people that claimed that there was a pro-abortion message in the show, or who blatantly misrepresented facts throughout the season about the narration or its intent, but there are sometimes things that I just couldnt ignore, based on the info I had.

I just thought of something - this is kind of like debating which was the bigger news story over the summer- paris hilton's jail time, or a massive humanitarian relief effort to (insert country or place name here). The relief effort is obviously more important, but american culture is what it is, and like it or not, we are just a subset of that (albeit hopefully a more classy one :P )

Blue Devils condensing their name to Bluedevils a la Bluecoats.

Well, if you equate DCP to "Star" "Weekly world news" "Globe" and "The Enquierer, then of course the Cadets and Quarterfinals is the most attention getting news, or hot topic as of right now with many "Defender til death" types keeping it alive , fueling the fire, and condemning the masses, letting a free forum keep the tragedy alive, and relevant......in reality, Blue Devils winning #12, against a strong field is real news, relevant news and will stand the test of time. Many remember who won last years suerbowl, who recalls how the crowd acted ???

~G~

ps: Not everyone that is pro-Cadet is "defender til death" type, some are really cool.

Well, if you equate DCP to "Star" "Weekly world news" "Globe" and "The Enquierer, then of course the Cadets and Quarterfinals is the most attention getting news, or hot topic as of right now with many "Defender til death" types keeping it alive , fueling the fire, and condemning the masses, letting a free forum keep the tragedy alive, and relevant......in reality, Blue Devils winning #12, against a strong field is real news, relevant news and will stand the test of time. Many remember who won last years suerbowl, who recalls how the crowd acted ???

~G~

ps: Not everyone that is pro-Cadet is "defender til death" type, some are really cool.

Lol...and you knew I would be here :P Sure, winning a world title is a big deal any year, but i feel like its a bit - simple...to say the story of the year is the champion. Seems a bit tame having the same 3 (or 5) corps be the story of the year for the past decade or two...dont ya think. As far as the uber-competetiveness of this year, lets not fool ourselves...the last time any of the 3 superpowers lost to an underdog was what....june. Not just that, but other than a hiccup to the cadets, the last time bd lost to anyone was around the same time.

Let me ask an honest question - which is the bigger story / what is discussed more - the cadets winning in 1993, or the reaction of the audience to star in 1993? And NO....i am not trying to compare cadets 07 to star 93, that horse has already been soundly eviscerated, but for a minute, ignore everything else we know and just think about it....