How does '07 BD Compare?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all the BD championship shows I'd have to say I liked 03 the least! I would also say that I like this last one pretty close to the top. They had just as much energy as back in 76! this years corps had fire like only the 76 corps had!

96 and 97 had a lot of fire also.

not well

Agreed. I think ultimately, this will be a pretty forgettable championship show...in as much as any championship show can be quantified as forgettable. In terms of comparisons to previous Blue Devils championship shows, I think it also ranks pretty middle of the pack to low. The hornline, despite winning the caption (I had them no higher than 4th in brass...my biggest disagreement as far as individual caption numbers go), just didn't do it for me as a vintage classic BD hornline. They finally got the Dynasty drum monkey off their back, but aside from that nifty little audio/visual feature they had in the first part of the show (very nice indeed), I don't remember much about their percussion. And their color guard was the weakest BD color guard I've seen in years, maybe even more than a decade. First part of the show was IMO significantly better than the last part of the show...during which it seemed like it went on far too long for my tastes. Like a good movie that could have been truly great if they trimmed about 20 minutes off the running time.

Anyway, I may be in the minority on this one, but that's ok. Didn't care much for this show. Still, congrats BD for winning it all. Well done!

It's too difficult to rank them according to ALL DCI champions for me (too many shows to think about, and all loved for their own reasons), so I'll try to rank this show against the other Blue Devils 1st place shows.

1. Blue Devils 1997

2. Blue Devils 1986

3. Blue Devils 2007

4. Blue Devils 1994

5. Blue Devils 1976

6. Blue Devils 1999

7. Blue Devils 1982

8. Blue Devils 2003

9. Blue Devils 1996

10. Blue Devils 1977

11. Blue Devils 1980

12. Blue Devils 1979

Dang, that was A LOT harder than I expected it to be, because just because I placed a show in 9th or 12th does not mean I disliked the show at all....I just tried to think of this based on what order I would listen to them on a CD, or at least which ones I would listen to MOST often...

not well

Agreed. :doh:

Not only does it not match up to most of the other championship shows; it doesn't match up to some of their non-championship shows (see 2000).

For me, the show was difficult to "get into", from the concept right on down to the execution. Reading the program, it sounds like one of those intentionally ambiguous, overly worded marching band show descriptions. It could have just as easily (and perhaps, more effectively :P ) said "stuff about wings and flying and birds and stuff". If the music and drill were amazing, one could easily disregard the lackluster concept, but they weren't. Maintaining interest in the show was almost as difficult as following the concept.

Obviously, this is all my opinion. You are allowed to like this show, and we are allowed to disagree. :)

Edited by Penguin

honestly, towards the bottom of both choices. love the corps, no disrespect to the people, but i think they played it safe this year and caught a huge break. performance levels werent what im used to from the corps, and with some exceptions, i didnt think the design was very engaging or thrilling either. i thought '06 was a championship show, not '07.

I'm with you on this

I'm really glad someone brought this topic up.

Last night I watched my 90's championship series and reminised on all the great hornlines and shows from the 90's from every corps.

I have to say that nothing since the milinium as far as BD goes even comes close to what they sounded like in the mid 90's. I watched 96,97 watched 98 cadets followed by 99 BD. It is amazing how much better their honrline sounded than my beloved Cadets then. 99 BD in my opinion was one of the most talented hornlines I've ever heard nad probably had the best quality of sound too. 97 is right there with it. That 99 corps had almost all age outs who had marched in 96 and 97.

I don't think 2003 or 2007 are even close to those shows. In fact I think there is other years where BD was better muscially and design but di dnot win because they could not march well before Todd Ryan came along like 1993 BD or 1992. WOW check out those hornlines!!!

My order is this.

honarable mention to 1992.

If the music and drill were amazing, one could easily disregard the lackluster concept, but they weren't. Maintaining interest in the show was almost as difficult as following the concept.

I'd have to agree. BD has always been one of my favorites, and I commend the members for bringing such intensity to their performance. But I've said the same thing in another thread - I think the music in particular this year was the most uniteresting I've ever heard them play.