What is the difference between BOA & DCI?

A lot of people seem to think that BOA is like DCI in that all it exists for is marching, but that's not true. Bands of America hosts a number of events such as concert festivals, percussion festivals, honor band, honor orchestra, jazz band and a summer symposium of workshops. Marching band is just one of the things that they do. After looking on their website, it appears that BOA is now considered just a division of the non-profit organization Music for All.

Another difference is that anyone who meets the criteria set by DCI can march a DCI corps. However, a kid can only march in a BOA show if he/she is fortunate enough to go to a good high school with a marching band that participates in BOAs events. The vast majority of high school players cannot participate because of this.

All good points, excellent post jeffro.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bands of America is a non-profit organization.

Keep in mind that Drum Corps International is the governing body for junior drum corps. Bands of America is not. BOA is just another marching band circuit. They don't sanction the entire marching band activity. They just happen to be the premiere circuit.

And it's really not a true 'circuit' in the sense of circuits like USSBA and TOB out here in the East. It's really just a small series of isolated regionals and a Grand Nats.

Great bands? Yes...some amazing ones. Numerically speaking? A drop in the bucket of the bands that compete across the country.

Not True, the top two from last year didn't have any props. They also marched and played very well an amazing rep of music. You should be ashamed of yourself for downplaying the amazing things these kids are doing. You really need to check out Broken Arrow's website and see their show from last year. Also ld bell's show is available.........

Matt,

Good to see you posting on here. It's been a while. I agree with ya. Broken Arrow & L.D. Bell both had incredible shows last year. BA's climax from 'Time to Say Goodbye" was chilling. And, L.D. Bell's ending just did it for me. The emotional content of Bell's show was surreal. Just in case anyone is wondering about repertoires from the shows:

Broken Arrow HS, OK - "Aqua"

Harrison's Dream (Peter Graham)

Time to Say Goodbye (Andrea Bocelli)

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Benjamin Britten)

Music Compositions & Arrangements: Aaron Guidry

L.D. Bell HS, TX - "The Remaining"

Hound of Heaven (James Syler)

Ballet Dracula (Phillip Feeney)

Beautiful from the 'King Kong' soundtrack (James Newton Howard)

Music from the 'A Beautiful Mind' soundtrack (James Horner)

Music Arrangements: Don Hill & Aaron Guidry

Drill Designers: Myron Rosander & Brian Youngblood

If you're a fan of Myron Rosander, I highly recommend checking out his design for L.D. Bell 2005 & 2006. One of his best designs.

And it's really not a true 'circuit' in the sense of circuits like USSBA and TOB out here in the East. It's really just a small series of isolated regionals and a Grand Nats.

Great bands? Yes...some amazing ones. Numerically speaking? A drop in the bucket of the bands that compete across the country.

I agree, Mike.

I'm really impressed at what the USSBA has been doing by branching out to other parts of the country . They've been expanding like crazy since the start of the millennium. I'll be working for the USSBA at their Texas State Championships later this year so I'm really looking forward to it.

Edited by mbui

I agree, Mike.

I'm really impressed at what the USSBA has been doing by branching out to other parts of the country . They've been expanding like crazy since the start of the millennium. I'll be working for the USSBA at their Texas State Championships later this year so I'm really looking forward to it.

Good luck!

I am the wind/percussion arranger for a NJ band that competes in Class II Open. We have had an overall good experience in USSBA...been there for a long time at various levels.

I am judging a show myself in October, actually.

Matt,

Good to see you posting on here. It's been a while. I agree with ya. Broken Arrow & L.D. Bell both had incredible shows last year. BA's climax from 'Time to Say Goodbye" was chilling. And, L.D. Bell's ending just did it for me. The emotional content of Bell's show was surreal. Just in case anyone is wondering about repertoires from the shows:

Broken Arrow HS, OK - "Aqua"

Harrison's Dream (Peter Graham)

Time to Say Goodbye (Andrea Bocelli)

Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra (Benjamin Britten)

Music Compositions & Arrangements: Aaron Guidry

I have a video of two of BA's shows from a few years back...their Candide show ("Day in the Life of a Clown" or something) and the next year (the one with the huge rose mat)...a Latin-style show. A band parent I used to correspond with sent it to me. A GREAT band.

What are you trying to say about band people? :doh:

Not much.

To win BOA you dont have to be the best band, just the band with the most crap on the field to distract the fact that they really dont play or march that well.

I know this is a drum corps board and all, but I so disagree with that statement. <**>