Drum Corps Family

'73 Vanguard...... great corps. Talk about starting your drum corps career at the top!!!!!

Fran

It's like they always say, "Location, location, location!" B)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1970's and 1980's, marched with my brother Dennis and sister Gloria in the St. Andrew's and Bayonne Kidets and Bridgemen ....

2003 - 2006, marched in the Bushwackers with my brother Dennis on brass staff and with the blessed opportunity to march alongside my nieces Taylor and Sarah in the color guard .... two very talented young women .... :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I'm definitely the black drum corps sheep of my family. My mom, even though she supports me fully, still calls it ...(gulp)..."band". The others don't know why the heck I still do it.

Oh well - it's a better addiction than crack! ;D

Edited by radiosteele

My Dad marched in the Skokie Vanguard

My older sister marched in Guardsmen

My younger sister marched in the Troopers

I marched in the Cavaliers

Sadly none of our kids have shown any interest. As a matter of fact I am the only family member that stills pays any attention to the activity.

My Dad marched in the Skokie Vanguard

My older sister marched in Guardsmen

My younger sister marched in the Troopers

I marched in the Cavaliers

Sadly none of our kids have shown any interest. As a matter of fact I am the only family member that stills pays any attention to the activity.

HOLY Cr*p!!!!

Dad marched with Skokie

Sis marched with Casper

YOU marched with Cavvies

and

no one pays attention?

Its just wrong dude!!!............;-)

God Bless ya...

1970's and 1980's, marched with my brother Dennis and sister Gloria in the St. Andrew's and Bayonne Kidets and Bridgemen ....

2003 - 2006, marched in the Bushwackers with my brother Dennis on brass staff and with the blessed opportunity to march alongside my nieces Taylor and Sarah in the color guard .... two very talented young women .... :laugh:

OKOK..Ive had enough! LOL

Isnt MOM2Zj the quintesstential

drum corps "lady" we all wanted to meet???\

Luvly to look at...with a drum corps pedigree(jus sayin;-)

(pls take it as a compliment as I have had 2 cocktails...hiccup!)

(all said in DC fun;-)

My Father-In-Law marched with the Grand Street Boys in the 1930's. He was the drum major in the late '30's.

My Dad marched with our local Kings Park, NY Fire Department corps in the 1950's and the Sunrisers in 1967 and 1968. He was the founder and Executive Director of the Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1980. He was a volunteer with Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and Garfield/Cadets 1987-2005.

My Mom was the head of volunteers (called Quartermasters back in the day) of Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1980, and was a volunteer with Avant Garde in 1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and Garfield/Cadets 1987-2005. She won the DCI Volunteer of the Year Award in 2005.

My brother marched with the Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1977. He was on the Board of Directors of the Long Island Kingsmen in 1979 and 1980.

My first cousin marched with the Long Island Kingsmen from 1971-1974.

I marched with the Long Island Kingsmen from 1965-1980. I was involved with several contest staffs during the '80's and '90's, including Contest Director of Drums Across Kansas from 1997-2001. I traveled with The Cadets as a food truck volunteer from 1996 through 2004, was Co-Tour Volunteer Coordinator with Revolution in 2005, and on the cook staff and driving crew with Blue Stars in 2006 & 2007. I just joined Prairie Sound for the 2008 season.

My wife marched Long Island Kingsmen Squires from 1973-1974, and Long Island Kingsmen from 1975-1980. She was also of a food truck volunteer from 1996 through 2004 with The Cadets, was Co-Tour Volunteer Coordinator with Revolution in 2005, and on the cook staff with Blue Stars in 2006 & 2007.

My sister marched Long Island Kingsmen from 1977-1980, Avant Garde in 1981, and 27th Lancers from 1982-1986.

My son marched soprano with Revolution in 2005 and mellophone with Blue Stars 2006-2007. He is still only 15, so he won't age out of junior corps until 2013. He is also playing mello with me at Prairie Sound rehearsals.

My Dad marched with our local Kings Park, NY Fire Department corps in the 1950's and the Sunrisers in 1967 and 1968. He was the founder and Executive Director of the Long Island Kingsmen from 1964-1980. He was a volunteer with Avant Garde 1981-1982, 27th Lancers 1983-1986, and Garfield/Cadets 1987-2005.

That would be Mr. Noel Borden, a New York/Long Island 'legend' in drum corps and high school bands. After the demise of the L.I. Kingsmen, I believe he also briefly formed a Long Island corps named Eastern Excelsior, but unfortunately it did not last. (A standstill/parade corps I teach in Queens, St. Joseph's Brigade, bought the beautiful Premier drums used by the Kingsmen and Excelsior in 1986. Some of them are still being used.)

Quite an involved and renowned drum corps family Dave! I recall having a nice conversation with your mom as she worked the Cadets' souvenir trailer at one of the CMBC or USSBA shows at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands about 15 or so years ago.

My grandpa was a french horn (or its drum corps equivalent) for the Crusaders when they won their American Legion championship, and actually met my grandma through drum corps. Last spring, a drum corps played an exhibition at a high school marching band pageant, and, not knowing the story, joined the Rochester Crusaders then and there. I just finished my rookie season, and I'm ready for more! Pretty cool how these things work out...

Edited by justinbarleben

I am the lone DC kid amongst myself and my brothers. But my tuba-playing wife and I intend to raise all of our kids right. If you have trouble recruiting a corps, breed one.

:D

I think you may have discovered the origin of drum corps. What do ya know? were all related! :huh::huh: