What do the Scouts need to do to become more competetive?

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you like to back up this statement with some credibility? That's ridiculous and uncalled for.

Opinions vary ... That's just mine. :)

My answer is very simple... why do they have to be better? Were they not good enough? Couldn't you ask this question of every single corps? I think it's ######## that so many people have gotten on here and bashed the BoD, the Director, the staff, etc. etc., all in the assumption that there is something "wrong" with the Madison Scouts. They're a drum corps just like all the rest of them, and for you people to stand up here and say that there is a problem with the board and so forth is slinging mud in its finest form.

I have no interest and know no one in the Madison Scouts, and have not for years. I have no reason to not enjoy the hell out of their shows. They've been very entertaining, and this year was NOT an exception.

For anyone on here to say that this year was an organizational problem is pathetic. Staff turnover happens people, and for everyone who cheered on Crown to make the top 6, someone had to leave.

I really wish you people who think they know what's best for these corps would take stock in the simple FACT that for every corps that goes up a spot, one goes down. Going down in the standings doesn't indicate ANY FAILURE WHATSOEVER. That's why we like this activity, isn't it? I mean, for ####'s sakes, why don't we just fold everyone who doesn't make finals. Isn't that what everyone *doesn't* want? So the Scouts end up out of Finals again. SO ####### WHAT! They had a very solid year, and those kids did a fabulous job with a show that started out rough. Their staff came a long way, and cut their teeth on center stage.

Drum corps compete, but unless you want to go to "festival" ratings and give everyone "superior" and "excellent", you better get over the fact that your favorite corps may go down in the standings, and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT CORPS. ####.

wow...and I got a 3 day suspension for less circumvention of the dirty word filter than you used in one post.

Is everything ok?

wow...and I got a 3 day suspension for less circumvention of the dirty word filter than you used in one post.

Is everything ok?

Ya -- just frustrated about how people say they want parity and organizational health, right up until their corps is the one on the rebound.

FWIW, I didn't circumvent the filters. I just write it in, and let the filters do the work. That's what I was told to do, instead of f4k1n9 out the filter. ;)

Ya -- just frustrated about how people say they want parity and organizational health, right up until their corps is the one on the rebound.

FWIW, I didn't circumvent the filters. I just write it in, and let the filters do the work. That's what I was told to do, instead of f4k1n9 out the filter. ;)

I didn't know I could just do that. I thought I'd get a penalty either way.

I think the chief goal for the Scouts from some pretty reliable sources...is to gain financial solvency. They may have already made great strides this year, but it's a realistic concern for many drum corps. I think we can all agree that we want the Madison Scouts to be here for the long term.

After talking to my reliable source (think former snare drummer...has a pretty good (but difficult) position with the corps this year and he LOVES scotcheroos...he is expecting a HUGE retention from this year's group. They've been through thick and thin together. I believe this corps was asked to believe that things could change and the whole product could get better but hard work was going to be demanded. Look what happened. Their show was LIGHT YEARS better than it was early on.

So my source who I spoke with at Tempe behind the souvie booth, who has a Spanish sounding last name, said he expects strong retention next year. This is great news.

So...if they are gaining a hold on financials, and they have good retention going into next year and a successful production from the 2007 season...isn't that enough to ask?

Does anyone here (besides myself...I always think I have the key idea to help) think the Scouts staff don't know the key areas to improve? They were counting on some people that didn't work out for whatever reason (read Mark Dutton) and they moved on. They will be in place for the entire off season and I believe this will be a year for continued improvement on all fronts.

Now...what is anyone on DCP doing to help out? I'm sure someone smarter than me can name a huge number of ways each of us could help them out. Would that be a better thread? What can I do to help the Madison Scouts this year?

I wonder? <seeing a swirling mist appear in front of my face and the sound of Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar going "Deeet a dettle eet. Deet a deetle eet." over and over again>

Any number of cool, specific things like "The Running Of The Bulls", "The Music Of Queen" etc could make for a memorable Scouts 2008.

Going with the Music of Queen theme:

Opening brass statement from "Fat Bottomed Girls"!!! Horn line on or very close to the front sideline!

"Killer Queen" would work - lots of cool arranging opportunities with this one.

"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" would work nicely, also.

"Bicycle Race" for featuring the percussion.

wow...so young...so bitter.

does someone need a hug? a hotpocket? a Kiltlifter?

can i have a cookie?

why?

how could they do it any better than they did in Dos? What else do they need to prove with that song?

they need to prove that they still love their fans and will play some music that is BA and loud with sweet solos. And because everyone was saying how they have to "find" their old roots. i believe thats their roots is latin music.I loved this years show and hope next years is even better.

Does anyone here (besides myself...I always think I have the key idea to help) think the Scouts staff don't know the key areas to improve? They were counting on some people that didn't work out for whatever reason (read Mark Dutton) and they moved on. They will be in place for the entire off season and I believe this will be a year for continued improvement on all fronts.

Now...what is anyone on DCP doing to help out? I'm sure someone smarter than me can name a huge number of ways each of us could help them out. Would that be a better thread? What can I do to help the Madison Scouts this year?

I wonder? <seeing a swirling mist appear in front of my face and the sound of Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar going "Deeet a dettle eet. Deet a deetle eet." over and over again>

See also drill writer. I forget his name, but i'd rather not say it i guess.

ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Right now, if you are into magazines and what not, Go to madison's website, and at the bottom, they have a magazine subscribing fundraiser thing-a-ma-bob that gives us(madison) a good percentage. About $7.50 per subscription if i remember correctly. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

I subscribed to two magazines. YOU SHOULD TOO!