What do the Scouts need to do to become more competetive?

Yeah, then we could see a show about a pony that talks, and uses clarinets and synthesizers to execute all the music, except of course that really really really loud chord at the end of the show with everyone on Bb's, because that makes everything louder.

^OO^

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any number of cool, specific things like "The Running Of The Bulls",

Or a "Day in the Life of a Bull-fighter" theme...you could even fit a bit of "Malaguena" in there....

....around the Narration (spoken in Spanish, of course). ^0^

My priorities would be:

1. Retention - if they can keep a nucleus of the 2007 corps intact, they will be much better next year from an overall execution standpoint.

2. Color guard recruiting - Color guard carries over into the music as well as visual captions these days. You need at least 30 guard members to be top-12. Cross-train horn players so they can spin a flag when they are not playing like we did in 80/81.

3. Drill design - Get a good writer and make him deliver by January. Then make him do re-writes until it screams "Madison" Have the finished product done by March.

Very good!

Not only retention of members but to retain most of the staff (fixing a thing or two) for consistancy.

I definately agree about the gaurd. They must have 30+ if they want to move back into top 12. With the total corps limit moving up to 150 this will become an even bigger issue in the next couple of years. I thought Madison's guard had better work than Academy or Blue Stars and was fairly clean also (comparted to Crossmen, Academy, Blue Stars). But with only 20 or so in the guard, they didn't have the visual impact and punch they needed to support the musical impacts.

One word.

GUARD.

I don't it's necessarily true that you have to have 30+ in guard as a pre-req. to making the coveted "top 12."

If they have 25 and are clean, i'd like that much more than watching many of the "larger" guards as dirty as they are.

I mean, do we really want quantity over quality.

Which is not to say that if Madison has 30+ it won't be clean, but I have seen far too many dirty guards that are just huge to really believe that if you have the numbers your going to get more credit.

I fixed it for you....the bold is mine :P

no they need to play it

See also drill writer. I forget his name, but i'd rather not say it i guess.

ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Right now, if you are into magazines and what not, Go to madison's website, and at the bottom, they have a magazine subscribing fundraiser thing-a-ma-bob that gives us(madison) a good percentage. About $7.50 per subscription if i remember correctly. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

I subscribed to two magazines. YOU SHOULD TOO!

Done.

I don't it's necessarily true that you have to have 30+ in guard as a pre-req. to making the coveted "top 12."

If they have 25 and are clean, i'd like that much more than watching many of the "larger" guards as dirty as they are.

I mean, do we really want quantity over quality.

Which is not to say that if Madison has 30+ it won't be clean, but I have seen far too many dirty guards that are just huge to really believe that if you have the numbers your going to get more credit.

Todd you are correct....by the way almost 30 IS young. On a train toward 50 here. Anyway...a guard can be clean or dirty regardless of size. Adding more members doesn't necessarily more dirt, but it can mean more chances for dirt.

A small guard can be dirty as well. But the bigger issue can be the work they are given to do and how well their work is incorporated into the whole show theme and does it translate to the audience.

Guard used to be so different in the 60s and 70s. Not better or worse...just different.

does someone need ... a Kiltlifter?

Are you buying? Because I'll be there.

People pitching the Queen shows, in another thread I had this lineup ...

Queen: A Night at the Opera

1. Death on Two Legs

2. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon

3. Seaside Rendezvous

4. The Prophet's Song

5. Love of My Life

6. Bohemian Rhapsody

Would love to see Madison take something like this to the field. Harmonies would kill.

See also drill writer. I forget his name, but i'd rather not say it i guess.

ALSO, IF YOU WANT TO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Right now, if you are into magazines and what not, Go to madison's website, and at the bottom, they have a magazine subscribing fundraiser thing-a-ma-bob that gives us(madison) a good percentage. About $7.50 per subscription if i remember correctly. DO IT. DO IT NOW.

I subscribed to two magazines. YOU SHOULD TOO!

First drill writer or second drill writer?