SHOULD DCI ALLOW SALE OF ALCOHOL AT SHOWS?

It baffles me that the point made for not allowing alcohol sales at a DCI show is that it is an all age or family oriented event. Sporting events such as ball games are all-age wouldn't you say? I was aware that the temperance movement ended already.

Last time I checked the age limit of legal consumption in the US was still 21. If underage persons cannot purchase or consume an alcoholic beverage anyway then why is it unnecessary or inappropriate for someone that is of legal age to do so? Alcohol consumption by someone of legal age in the presence of someone who isn't hasn't been censored at sporting events, concerts, theme parks, or restaurants. It is a privilege as an adult over 21 to consume an alcoholic beverage. It should not be taboo to do so in the presence of those who cannot.

There is no inherent right to drink booze at an event.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no inherent right to drink booze at an event.

Nor is there an inherent prohibition.

There is no inherent right to drink booze at an event
Nor is there an inherent prohibition.

I need a beer... :doh:

By banning or restricting alcohol in so many situations, it causes people to go nuts when it is allowed, as it seems such a novelty to them.

If it wasn't restricted, people would be more moderate in their consumption, as it wouldn't be anything unusual.

As for restricting alcohol because an event would be considered a family event, that is precisely where youth should learn to responsibly consume alcohol... with their family.

Your argument would make sense if we were talking about the government taking away the rights of society at large, but we aren't. We all have the right in general to drink beer, just as we all have a right to have a video camera, etc., but it is DCI's call whether to allow either of those things at their events. DCI has a tremendous responsibility on its hands and it has the right to decide what it wants to allow and prevent in order to accomplish the objectives it wishes to accomplish, which will be ultimately in the best interests of the fans in its estimation.

My argument makes sense. If you choose to attempt to discredit my point by negating technical details such as misinterpreting the analogies then I won't argue with you. Should DCI allow the sale of alcohol at shows? DCI should not prohibit the legal sale of alcohol when available. Since DCI doesn't have the right to provide alcohol they aren't in a position to allow or disallow the sale or consumption of it in a stadium possessing the right to do so.

I need a beer... :lol:

I'll drink to that! :doh:

the crowd around me was rude and pretty unenthusiastic - I guess boozing it up made a few even more loud and rude

was not impressed AT ALL

to the topic - I believe alcohol is out of place at a DCI event but get the fact that sometimes in order to use a particular venue we are stuck with it

the crowd around me was rude and pretty unenthusiastic - I guess boozing it up made a few even more loud and rude

was not impressed AT ALL

What were you not impressed with?

to the topic - I believe alcohol is out of place at a DCI event but get the fact that sometimes in order to use a particular venue we are stuck with it

Is a contest sponsor "stuck" with it? Or do they have a right to say whether or not it should be sold?

Some have pointed out that, at $7 each, most fans who enjoy a drink aren't going to have 6, 8 or ten drinks. At least not inside the stadium anyway. Perhaps enjoy a few before entering. Is the length of the show a factor in the decision to allow serving? i.e. a 23 corps quarterfinals v. a 6 or 7 corps show?

I apologize for not knowing that using larger print size is considered shouting. I thought that ALL CAPS was shouting. I only did it for easier reading for folks (like me) who need reading glasses. BTW is there also an unwritten ban/prohibition against using color?

I don't know what events some of you have gone to, but with the exception of, say, students sneaking in alcohol to a Crimson Tide game... most fans at Atlanta Braves and Atlanta Falcons games I've been to have never been drunk or rowdy... not because they didn't DRINK, but because you would need at least a FEW beers to be so and with the prices of one beer... what is it, like $1200?... it's not even feasible. :P

My argument makes sense. If you choose to attempt to discredit my point by negating technical details such as misinterpreting the analogies then I won't argue with you. Should DCI allow the sale of alcohol at shows? DCI should not prohibit the legal sale of alcohol when available. Since DCI doesn't have the right to provide alcohol they aren't in a position to allow or disallow the sale or consumption of it in a stadium possessing the right to do so.

I wasn't attempting to discredit your point. I was, in fact, bending over backwards to try to understand it. I give up on this thread. I'm going to go get a beer.