Retreat Songs

But nobody beats hearing all the corps play "O'Canada/America the Beautiful".

Oh wait. EVERYTHING beats that.

Edited by apoch003

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Phantom played "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral"

We did during my time with the corps, but I think they played Fire of Eternal Glory as the corps song in the '90s. Hey Regiment alums from the '90s, is that right?

I thought I saw a video of you guys playing "Clowns" before your '75 finals performance.

(Great show, by the way).

"Clowns" was our closer (or exit) in '74 ... so yes, you probably did ... and thanks!

BAC, of course, had Conquest. I remember Troopers playing "Happy Trails."

In my years of BD, we usually played "Free"

I forget what we played :P

Heck, everybody left the stadium before you played, anyway. ^0^

I keed!

I loved playing "Just a Gigolo" with Glassmen at retreat.

We did during my time with the corps, but I think they played Fire of Eternal Glory as the corps song in the '90s. Hey Regiment alums from the '90s, is that right?

Amazing Grace in 92 and 93. (Not sure if they played Fire also for retreat in 93.) In 94, we played Fire for a little while, then switched over to Claire de Lune. No idea after that... (We'd also play a parade march every once in a while too.)

Amazing Grace in 92 and 93. (Not sure if they played Fire also for retreat in 93.) In 94, we played Fire for a little while, then switched over to Claire de Lune. No idea after that... (We'd also play a parade march every once in a while too.)

After that America/O Canada took over.

I remember Phantom would sometimes play the Washington Post March off the retreat field. I did not appreciate marches until I heard them played by a drum corps.

Hope this isn't too OT, but I don't want to start another thread.

What the heck happened to 'retreat'? We used to do it practically every show. It was kind of fun too. A chance to subtly goof off and take the field with all of the other corps you were traveling with/competing against. The traditions of smacking your horns into your chest buckles, making funky sounds after the ready front call, swapping horn sargeants periodically to listen to some other buffoons call to attention, developing little traditions to carry from one year to the next.

Most of all, the ability to execute an entrance and exit in a reasonable manner. The kids at Finals this year didn't look like they had the slightest clue about what they were supposed to do. That was one of their only chances to arc up and congratualte the victor in a show of sportsmanship. <I really wish we had played La Fiesta to Garfield in '84 and left them with their ears ringing.> Instead, the announcer just said something like: "BD the field is yours. Will the other corps please clear the field?" A few of the DM's called their corps to attention, turned around and marched out not even in front of the winning corps to issue a salute.... :sleeping: . Several other corps just began to have a party on the field and didn't exit until they were strongarmed off. Again...no respect.

Parading in front of the winning corps was tradition in my day and showed respect and sportsmanship. If you didn't agree with the outcome, you might not stop and play, but you would still salute out of respect. Where did this tradition go? I realize that there is no retreat every night like in the past, but can't DCI or corps management educate the Finals corps a little better?