Rule Change

Rule Change - Amplification of the voice  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Prohibit the Amplification of the spoken or sung voice

• Yes
    • No
    • Leave it like it is

Should we ban amplification, simply because it is not in line with some people's taste?

Ok. It should not be banned simply because some do not like it. If that is a valid reason to not discuss restrictions or removal, then liking/tolerating it is not a valid reason to continue it.

If it could be clearly demonstrated how it is judged, I wouldn't have as big of a problem with it. Up to this point (as far as I know), despite having people around DCP that have been on staff with corps since this 'innovation' hit the field, nobody has clearly explained how this is judged, revealing how it has been discussed on sheets, how it has been talked about in critique, and how it has affected scores.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll tell you how to get rid of amplified voice once and for all - do MORE, not less, of it. In other words, do a VK/Bridgemen type show that that RIDICULES it. I would LOVE to see someone do a show where the entire corps has microphones - and they each take turns spouting nonsensical phrases like "Bla. Bla-bla bla-bla. Yakkity yak bla. Bla-de bla-de bla bla bla!" Both individually, and as mock conversations. Once the audience gets the point, they could even come up into the stands and let audience members join in the fun!

I guarantee you that at least 50% (if not more) of the crowd would STAND AND CHEER (if not stomping and screaming as they cry with laughter) - at EVERY SHOW - if someone did this. And Hopkins - as well as DCI - would FINALLY get the point - the MAJORITY of audiences HATES this crap - so much so that we're LAUGHING AT THEM about it.

Watch how fast the microphones disappear from everywhere but the pit the following season (where, if anywhere, they belong) . . .

I'll tell you how to get rid of amplified voice once and for all - do MORE, not less, of it. In other words, do a VK/Bridgemen type show that that RIDICULES it. I would LOVE to see someone do a show where the entire corps has microphones - and they each take turns spouting nonsensical phrases like "Bla. Bla-bla bla-bla. Yakkity yak bla. Bla-de bla-de bla bla bla!" Both individually, and as mock conversations. Once the audience gets the point, they could even come up into the stands and let audience members join in the fun!

I guarantee you that at least 50% (if not more) of the crowd would STAND AND CHEER (if not stomping and screaming as they cry with laughter) - at EVERY SHOW - if someone did this. And Hopkins - as well as DCI - would FINALLY get the point - the MAJORITY of audiences HATES this crap - so much so that we're LAUGHING AT THEM about it.

Watch how fast the microphones disappear from everywhere but the pit the following season (where, if anywhere, they belong) . . .

That's actually a pretty #### good idea. Where's VK when you need them?

I'd say leave as is, but could someone tell me if amped voices get judged in any sort of way?

I think if it's going to be used, it needs to be judged.

Here's the crux of the argument from my perspective.

If you're performing something (amplified or not), then it NEEDS to be judged. If it sux, it needs to be scored as such. If it has a negative impact on the crowd, that needs to be reflected in effect.

I'm pretty much ambivalent, but if it's gonna happen on the field, it needs to be judged.

I think this horse is more like pulp now.. .think "Sin City"

(as if anyone really cares.... i voted no.) I don't like spoken voice, but i love the little exclimations and quips that SCV, Bloo, and to a lesser extent, Crown had. In my OPINION, Crown went overboard during finals week. otherwise, voice should stay.... Oh and wouldn't Madison's choral part have been better if they had three or five of them miked?

SCV? :laugh:

I think we should amend this topic...:

"Prohibit the discussion on DCP of Amplification of the spoken or sung voice"

{_} Yes

{_} No

{_} Leave it like it is

You didn't go far enough. I'd prefer to revise it to "Prohibit the discussion on DCP of amplification of spoken or sung voice for how many years?"

{_} Indefinitely

{_} 50 years

{_} 40 years

{_} 30 years, but subject to extention via another vote one day shy of the 30-year expiration date.

This topic is soooooo stale. People, amplification isn't going away, so suck it up and adapt to the best of your ability. Most important, stop whining!

I'd love to see that!