Calling all "legacy fans" who are disappointed in DCI...

2004 SCV - best drumline I've ever seen.

How old are you? Just curious.

I'm not the O/P, and I'm fairly young (25), but I would have to agree with that statement as it's written. The post said, "I've ever seen," and I don't think you can really attack that. I've been watching corps closely since about 2000, and (though I admit that I'm not a percussionist) I agree with that statement. I don't know if you had the opportunity to see that line, but I swear it was as if they had an aura about them when they were on the field. [2003 was incredible too]

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not the O/P, and I'm fairly young (25), but I would have to agree with that statement as it's written.

I'm not the OP - and I'm fairly old. I was in the lot in Denver watching SCV - I agree completely. Amazing line!

Cadets 2000 and Cavaliers 2000.

I was entertained by the music and the drill at a great level. It was the last time I got really excited about new drum corps stuff. "Machine" was really good, and Phantom/SCV this year was really good, but something has been lost. Nevermind that I've not been as excited about anything in the activity as I was from 1988-1994.

Edited by Tekneek

Why would the visual performance judge not evaluate the things you mention...and in the case of a catch the guard person? Those are some of the things they look at.

Have you ever seen a visual judge in the corner of the stadium?

I did mention that it is conceivable that catches were evaluated in GE. But, if there was a .10 penalty for each drop or step-out, more attention would be paid to making sure catches were made in the correct spots.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

I hate narration, and I hate it worse when it's done badly (RE: I believe).

That being said, my favorite 2000+ show is Cadets 2000 (does that still mean I'm a Cadet hater?).

Unfortunately, I have not seen "Machine" which everyone seems to rave about.

I can understand your lack of interest in narration...to each their own. But, I find it difficult to understand why you think the Cadets narration this year was "done badly." When you think about certain members of the corps marching upwards of 205 BPM for extended periods of time to then speak CLEARLY, SLWOLY, DISTINCTLY, and ARTICULATELY, without losing breath...I find that quite amazing!

And HOW they delivered their lines was also impressive. These are not trained actors or stage professionals. These are young adults who happen to have very good speaking voices.

Hate narration...fine. But please don't hate the PERFORMERS who did a magnificent job.

These are not trained actors or stage professionals. These are young adults who happen to have very good speaking voices.

How many of the other members are "trained" or "professionals" at what they are doing on the field? If a corps decided to use people who weren't trained drummers, preferring instead to field a snare line selected from the guard members that could hit a drum with a stick, should they get a pass on their execution of that part of the show? In all my time as a corps fan, I've never heard or read people say, "Man, that was a very good solo, considering he is not a professional." They either say it was a very good solo or they don't. They don't say, "That was a very good drum line, for being amateurs." It was either very good or it wasn't. Likewise, I don't think we should give speaking parts a pass simply because they aren't professionals at it. It was either very good, or it wasn't. It is assumed in drum corps that you are not professionals. It is also assumed that drum corps will put members on the parts that they should have the greatest success at. Not parts they won't do well at with the hope that the "they aren't professionals" excuse will bail them out.

I have nothing against any members of any corps. I have issues with the use of those members by the staff and those who might attempt to excuse mistakes by hiding behind the 'amateur' level of the activity. Maybe everybody should just get a 100 since nobody is being paid to march/participate and being critical of non-professionals should be removed from the activity.

Edited by Tekneek

Have you ever seen a visual judge in the corner of the stadium?

I did mention that it is conceivable that catches were evaluated in GE. But, if there was a .10 penalty for each drop or step-out, more attention would be paid to making sure catches were made in the correct spots.

Why would a drop be panalized like that? Luckily that went out with the late and UNlamented ticks.

How many of the other members are "trained" or "professionals" at what they are doing on the field? If a corps decided to use people who weren't trained drummers, preferring instead to field a snare line selected from the guard members that could hit a drum with a stick, should they get a pass on their execution of that part of the show? In all my time as a corps fan, I've never heard or read people say, "Man, that was a very good solo, considering he is not a professional." They either say it was a very good solo or they don't. They don't say, "That was a very good drum line, for being amateurs." It was either very good or it wasn't. Likewise, I don't think we should give speaking parts a pass simply because they aren't professionals at it. It was either very good, or it wasn't. It is assumed in drum corps that you are not professionals. It is also assumed that drum corps will put members on the parts that they should have the greatest success at. Not parts they won't do well at with the hope that the "they aren't professionals" excuse will bail them out.

I have nothing against any members of any corps. I have issues with the use of those members by the staff and those who might attempt to excuse mistakes by hiding behind the 'amateur' level of the activity. Maybe everybody should just get a 100 since nobody is being paid to march/participate and being critical of non-professionals should be removed from the activity.

This takes us into another interesting discussion that has hit drum corps in recent years: Is it education or entertainment?

More and more, we hear corps members referred to as students and that the overarching goal of the activity is the educational advancement of same.

If that's true, then entertainment isn't the goal of drum corps. Instead of teaching the corps members how to be entertainers, how to be showmen, how to play music that connects with people, instead it's all an exercise in learning about music and composers and drill forms and working as a team and meeting new people, etc. To take this to its most cynical conclusion, then audiences aren't required; drum corps is purely an academic exercise.

But if drum corps is entertainment, then the goal is simple: Do stuff that the crowd enjoys. Any "education" is education about how to be a better entertainer. Now to take this to its most cynical conclusion, then things such as safety on tour, proper nutrition, learning about musical forms, proper technique, etc., are secondary; the only goal is to pander to the lowest common denominator, and no matter what, "the show must go on."

Of course the truth is that drum corps is both entertainment and education. But some people feel the education part is eroding the entertainment part more and more, to the point where audiences feel like they're being treated with disdain if that don't "get" a show and show designers are more concerned with impressing the judges or each other than with connecting with the fans in the stands.

<snip>

I agree with David on this point. In fact, I'd really like to see a revamp of the judging system to transition to an updated combination of the tic system and the current build-up system - maybe not as much emphasis on tear down (point allocation wise) as the old days, but some compelling emphasis on execution - especially in the visual and guard captions.

:wub: <using my soldering iron to seal this worm can I may have inadvertently opened> :wub:

I can understand your lack of interest in narration...to each their own. But, I find it difficult to understand why you think the Cadets narration this year was "done badly." When you think about certain members of the corps marching upwards of 205 BPM for extended periods of time to then speak CLEARLY, SLWOLY, DISTINCTLY, and ARTICULATELY, without losing breath...I find that quite amazing!

And HOW they delivered their lines was also impressive. These are not trained actors or stage professionals. These are young adults who happen to have very good speaking voices.

Hate narration...fine. But please don't hate the PERFORMERS who did a magnificent job.

Well said, Christopher! ^OO^