Calling all "legacy fans" who are disappointed in DCI...

I'm never quite sure what a "legacy fan" is, but I prefer the legal definition of "a gift."

fan of: PR 2003; SCV 2002; lower division I corps; IIs and IIIs (most of them)

not fan of: flaws in execution -- I am a visual/drill/M&M instructor after all; narration that pulls me out of the show (Cadets 2007; Boston color show: good shows, well marched, great playing, emotionally unsatisfying because they didn't let my imagination fill in the blanks). My personal theory of good design is that you always need to leave room for the audience to participate emotionally. An old exam question from my theatre teaching days: What do you need to do theatre? Actor/performer, audience, a space [where they interact].

There are great old shows, great middle-aged shows, great new shows, and I hope great shows to come. Not all will be great (life works like that -- bummer). Those that bring me (along with a couple hundred or thousand of my temporarily closest friends) into their creative process for 10ish minutes will be the ones I enjoy.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I find amazing is that people looked at Cavies Frameworks as being "Innovative": when all the really did was copy choreography from the "historically black colleges and their marching bands."

The half minute-or-so "Fight Club" sequence? I've been to the HSBC Battle of the Bands and that's the only part of the show (plus the very short reprise of the movements) that I can see any possible connection. Personally, I don't think that's "all" they really did.

Why would a drop be panalized like that? Luckily that went out with the late and UNlamented ticks.

Why not. It would have corps focus more on executing their tosses. Remember the incredible perfection attained by the 27th Lancers guard in the late '70s and early '80s? What's wrong with expecting that from the best drum corps in the world?

I can understand your lack of interest in narration...to each their own. But, I find it difficult to understand why you think the Cadets narration this year was "done badly." When you think about certain members of the corps marching upwards of 205 BPM for extended periods of time to then speak CLEARLY, SLWOLY, DISTINCTLY, and ARTICULATELY, without losing breath...I find that quite amazing!

And HOW they delivered their lines was also impressive. These are not trained actors or stage professionals. These are young adults who happen to have very good speaking voices.

Hate narration...fine. But please don't hate the PERFORMERS who did a magnificent job.

Is speaking into a microphone "performing"? I guess I never thought about that. Playing a horn, drum, or doing auxiliary equipment, skills that all take years of practice to develop, yes. I guess I never thought of speaking as performing, at least not in the context of a drum corps show. I'm not talking about the theater..

And, yup, it's my opinion only.

Is speaking into a microphone "performing"? I guess I never thought about that. Playing a horn, drum, or doing auxiliary equipment, skills that all take years of practice to develop, yes. I guess I never thought of speaking as performing, at least not in the context of a drum corps show. I'm not talking about the theater..

Aren't comedians considered performers? They speak into a microphone.

Speaking into a microphone certainly is 'performing' in the biggest possible sense, in that it is a solo. Is it as hard to do as the other things you mentioned?....well yeah, if you want it to be good. Were the speakers in the cadets 'good' in that sense - debatable...Oh, and there was at least one person in the cadets who had no prior experience in guard work and she made it just fine - it can be done.

...btw- i get what youre saying, and agree mostly. I just happen to think it isnt as black and white as you want to believe.

Why not. It would have corps focus more on executing their tosses. Remember the incredible perfection attained by the 27th Lancers guard in the late '70s and early '80s? What's wrong with expecting that from the best drum corps in the world?

Corps still focus on execution - probably more than you're giving them credit.. I doubt any instructor or judge blow off bad catches or drops, as they do affect the colorguard score. Half of the guard points come from achievement, which would include catching well. The other half is content, and the top color guards of today have a lot of that. I'm definitely not arguing that the great color guards of the 70s and 80s didn't execute amazingly well, but add 6 rotations and ballet jumps underneath tosses and things might be a little different. I love watching some of the top guards of today, like Crown and Phantom Regiment, because they are not only solid as far as technique and uniformity is concerned, but also move incredibly well, while constantly performing. IMO, it wouldn't be fair to use the same scoring.. both the scoring and the performances have evolved.

Edited by dutoutcatch

Speaking into a microphone certainly is 'performing' in the biggest possible sense, in that it is a solo. Is it as hard to do as the other things you mentioned?....well yeah, if you want it to be good. Were the speakers in the cadets 'good' in that sense - debatable...Oh, and there was at least one person in the cadets who had no prior experience in guard work and she made it just fine - it can be done.

...btw- i get what youre saying, and agree mostly. I just happen to think it isnt as black and white as you want to believe.

Thanks for not going after me on that one. I wasn't trying to evoke an attack, but this is quite a touchy subject. And you and I probably don't agree very often. But I bet we agree on the most important thing - we both love drum corps. Have a nice week!

Thanks for not going after me on that one. I wasn't trying to evoke an attack, but this is quite a touchy subject. And you and I probably don't agree very often. But I bet we agree on the most important thing - we both love drum corps. Have a nice week!

Drum corps sucks!! :worthy:

:P