Who moved the most.......

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know you already came to your conclusion and apparently singlehandedly ended the thread, but theres no way i'd believe that.

But, he said it was true, so, doesnt that mean it is??? :doh:

Back on subject, I had this discussion at a few different shows with some people around me. General consensus was that Cadet's were marching and playing the most, with BD in second. Let's see some times!

Well this is a completely relevant discussion, because obviously this is what the score sheets look like:

dciscoresheet.jpg

Demand doesn't mean <insert expletive here> unless it's executed flawlessly. If a corps does a company front jazz running at 1 to 5 while playing 32nd runs from the trumpets to the tubas (which would look and sound like crap) they don't automatically take the cake because their demand was insanely higher than other corps. Unless it's executed flawlessly, demand is rather unimportant.

Where demand is important is when the level of execution is the same. If corps A and B execute at the same level, but corps B had a higher demand, then corps B takes the cake because they were performing harder material at the same level as corps A.

Also, the marching and playing element is rather irrelevant as well. I could march an entire show at 8 to 5 playing the entire time and probably barely break a sweat, but if I was marching at 6 to 5 or larger with some jazz runs and standing still for half the show, that would be much more physically and mentally demanding.

Never underestimate the demand of playing long tones while standing still. On the surface it seems stupidly easy, but any experienced player will tell you that those are sometimes the most difficult parts of the show.

You all can simplify it down to stupid metrics like this if you want, just be aware that they statistically mean nothing and there's a reason the score sheets are far more complicated than the one above.

I think it's a much more complicated equation than simply "marching/playing."

I haven't seen the DVD's yet, and otherwise, definitely haven't seen any of the shows live (at least none as they were finals week) so I won't use specific examples...

I think it is just as difficult to play at a halt after running around the field for a bunch of sets as it is to play while marching a moderate step size at a quick tempo. Obviously, running around the field while playing is more difficult than both. All three are harder than marching a little bit, park and bark, and off again at a medium tempo. My point is, a corps doesn't have to necessarily be marching while playing (or playing while marching?) for the physical demand to add difficulty to a horn book, it depends highly on what occurs before and after every section of the show. If there's going to be some sort of "scientific study" on this topic, this should at least be taken into account.

And I agree that bottom line is execution. Regardless of whether fans can tell a show is extremely difficult or not, it's who sounds, looks and affects (the audience and judges) who gets the points.

But as far as the simple "marching/playing" stop watch, I'll believe whatever numbers you guys record. Doesn't mean show a or show be is necessarily more difficult or not, though.

based only having seen a couple live performances I'd have to go with Cadets and then bd and phantom in a general but sure second behind cadets as far as pure marching and playing. Generally I like to wait for dvds to really figure it out.

Sorry, Blue Devils played and marched the most... hands down, end of discussion. Making easy things look hard isn't their style.

hahahahhahah good joke.

based only having seen a couple live performances I'd have to go with Cadets and then bd and phantom in a general but sure second behind cadets as far as pure marching and playing. Generally I like to wait for dvds to really figure it out.

hahahhaha good joke.

I wish to give a nod to Blue Knights who had their horns do some very respectable movement and or dance. It read very well in their live performance! Good Job BK