Who moved the most.......

Just because someone is marching and playing simultaneously doesn't make it interesting or effective. In fact, I've seen a lot of shows where all it seems the hornline does is march and play. Not necessarily anything interesting, not necessarily quick or well-developed drill, usually at a medium tempo (160-170ish) . . . it's boring. Then, another corps may march and play for a bit, then run around for a bit, then do some coreography, then march and play some more, etc . . . if THAT is written and performed well, then it's probably a lot more interesting.

To assume that a show is more demanding because there's more simultaneous marching and playing is silly and reflects a lack of understanding of what some corps are being asked to do.

That's the most intelligent response in this entire thread, right there.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe we can't all be [insert corps], and that's okay (believe it or not, some of us are happy not being that way). I see no reason why doing more than you have to is a bad thing, in fact I find that very admirable (something you may have a hard time understanding).

Personal taste plays a large part of this argument, and no - I've not marched in a group where we stood still whenever we played anything of significance, ran for a bit while the drums played, and then rolled around on the gr...I mean performed choreography. Oh wait, I was in a group that performed choreography, but we normally did it in large groups where it was obvious if we weren't together, and oh yeah, we played while we did it.

Does the music/visual suffer a bit because you're doing both at the same time? Sure, but that's part of what makes it marching music. If all you want to do is play, I'm sure there are some world-class wind ensembles out there, if you want to march, yes there are drill teams of sorts...but don't criticize those of with the **** to do both at the same time.

So, I will agree to disagree - you find my types of shows slow to develop and boring, and I find your types of shows cheesy and gimmicky. To each his own, as long as we agree that we love corps. :)

agree to disagree.

Your Drum Corps Experience -- Wannabe

... 'Cause experience is necessary to actually see which corps moves more than another?

Here I was thinking two eyes would be sufficient.

Silly me.

Ok, ok ....OKAY !! We all know how we are "loyal till the death" to our corps' of preference, but if I werer to poll the respondees of this thread, and all that has been expressed/typed here etc, I will now as k y'all THIS:

Do you/we feel that Phantom regiment played well as well as marched their drill better than their scores reflected, or, did they march a poor show while playing well?

This is what burns me when I do an 'experiment' as I did in the initial stages of this thread, and look at what judges refer to as what they "look, listen and judge for". It seems to me, flame if you want,

BUT THE JUDGES ARE JUST AS LOYAL AND PREFERENTIAL TO THEIR CORPS OF CHOICE as we all are, and after doing this compariosn of sorts, feel, with all my being and two Masteres Degrees that the judging, and the judges have been and always will be........

PREFERENTIAL !

Theres my .02 on a Sunday afternoon!

... 'Cause experience is necessary to actually see which corps moves more than another?

Here I was thinking two eyes would be sufficient.

Silly me.

You have no corps experience and you're demeaning the physical demand of a top 12 corps (from 2007 no less, ouch). No sir, I don't think your two eyes are sufficient on any level at all.

Trust me, BD marches their ##### off. This is pretty apparent to pretty much anyone. Hell, even from the goal line in the nose bleed section at Semis I saw guys booking it for a good portion of the show. What else should I expect from them or anyone else in that tier.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

You have no corps experience and you're demeaning the physical demand of a top 12 corps (from 2007 no less, ouch). No sir, I don't think your two eyes are sufficient on any level at all.

Trust me, BD marches their ##### off. This is pretty apparent to pretty much anyone. Hell, even from the goal line in the nose bleed section at Semis I saw guys booking it for a good portion of the show. What else should I expect from them or anyone else in that tier.

Please point to where I said BD didn't march their ##### off. My comment was in response to another poster who stated that BD moved the most, hands down, end of discussion. I disagree. Perhaps I could've worded it better, but I felt that their show this year had more park and blows than others. If you want to take that as "demeaning", I can't help you. But it wasn't intended that way. I think the Blue Devils are a great corps.

As for experience, I know that there are those on this board who feel that marching in a corps is the only way to have a valid opinion on something, and it is true that I never marched corps. Single biggest regret to this day. But I am not oblivious to the activity. I know what it's like marching a brass instrument... I did it for 6 years. Many of my instructers marched corps. I currently instruct at a local high school. Obviously my opinion on this matter should not trump anyone elses, but I also don't think it should hold no weight just because I have no corps experience.

Now, if I were to weigh in on tour food, then yes. My never having marched would be an issue.

Please point to where I said BD didn't march their ##### off. My comment was in response to another poster who stated that BD moved the most, hands down, end of discussion. I disagree. Perhaps I could've worded it better, but I felt that their show this year had more park and blows than others. If you want to take that as "demeaning", I can't help you. But it wasn't intended that way. I think the Blue Devils are a great corps.

As for experience, I know that there are those on this board who feel that marching in a corps is the only way to have a valid opinion on something, and it is true that I never marched corps. Single biggest regret to this day. But I am not oblivious to the activity. I know what it's like marching a brass instrument... I did it for 6 years. Many of my instructers marched corps. I currently instruct at a local high school. Obviously my opinion on this matter should not trump anyone elses, but I also don't think it should hold no weight just because I have no corps experience.

Now, if I were to weigh in on tour food, then yes. My never having marched would be an issue.

I'm really not trying to be rude, just blunt, but to be honest, you will never be taken seriously on matters such as this that require experience to judge by those of us who have marched. You teach high school... so? Most of us do too. You played in marching band... woo... so did we.(and for the record, you cant even compare high school to top drum corps... high schools move like slugs compared to the demand of high placing drum corps... they may have their moments when they move, but its not for a large portion of the show, if not all of it, like a top tier drum corps). Most of your instructors marched corps... so? Most of ours did too. First hand knowledge of what it is LIKE to do shows like this is the only real thing that will give you the capacity to judge the show... why do you think good DCI judges are hard to find? Most of them dont know what its like... some do... but some dont have the level of training that the kids have and thus, are more often to make strange judgement calls or overlook a lot of subtleties.

Edited by FieldofBlueDreams

My comment was in response to another poster who stated that BD moved the most, hands down, end of discussion. I disagree. Perhaps I could've worded it better, but I felt that their show this year had more park and blows than others.

I agree. I thought they stood still a lot, especially for a championship show.

As for experience, I know that there are those on this board who feel that marching in a corps is the only way to have a valid opinion on something, and it is true that I never marched corps.

What I find funny about this is that one of the biggest offenders of said attitude never marched, and has told different people here on dcp that he has marched one corps, and then tells others he marched a completely different corps, assuming I guess that those people would never share that information. Yet, he is the first to spout off about how important his corps experience is and how important he is in the drum corps arena, and how unimportant an opinion can be coming from someone who never marched.

I will leave it at that before the mod squad slaps me on the wrist.

To be honest, you will never be taken seriously on matters such as this that require experience to judge by those of us who have marched. You teach high school... so? All of us do. (and for the record, you cant even compare high school to top drum corps... high schools move like slugs compared to the demand of high placing drum corps... they may have their moments when they move, but its not for a large portion of the show, if not all of it, like a top tier drum corps). Most of your instructors marched corps... so? Most of ours did too. The only thing that you can do to really truely know what is hard and what isnt is to experience it first hand. If someone came up to me and told me i didnt move as much as phantom or cavaliers and THEN told me they only teach high school, i'd laugh at them. If they marched, i might think about it for a few seconds... but then i'd still laugh at them. ^0^

He may not be taken seriously by you, but again, it does not take a braintrust to see BD stood still a high amount in comparison to most corps marching this summer. That is not a discussion about the speed of their movement or how big a portion of their show they moved. That is a completely seperate issue. To ignore the obvious only shows your bias.

In the end, marching experience or not, the dvds will tell the story.

To be honest, you will never be taken seriously on matters such as this that require experience to judge by those of us who have marched. You teach high school... so? All of us do. (and for the record, you cant even compare high school to top drum corps... high schools move like slugs compared to the demand of high placing drum corps... they may have their moments when they move, but its not for a large portion of the show, if not all of it, like a top tier drum corps). Most of your instructors marched corps... so? Most of ours did too. The only thing that you can do to really truely know what is hard and what isnt is to experience it first hand. If someone came up to me and told me i didnt move as much as phantom or cavaliers and THEN told me they only teach high school, i'd laugh at them. If they marched, i might think about it for a few seconds... but then i'd still laugh at them. ^0^

You're correct. I will never know "first hand" how hard it is to march a drum corps show. I hesitated even bringing up the high school thing because I know the two can't be compared as you so graciously pointed out. I'm fully aware of this.

But last I checked, the topic of this thread is "who moved the most". Not "who's show was more demanding/difficult".

I think most drum corps fans are capable of stating their opinion on this, regardless of whether they marched or not. Saying BD didn't move the most this year takes nothing away from the caliber of corps they are.