Who moved the most.......

This could be the stupidest thing I've ever heard. If you do something hard look effortless, you're doing it well. If you're doing something hard and it looks hard, well, you're not doing it well.Thanks

You're welcome.

Wouldn't this comment be equally stupid seeing as how you just completely agreed with me? I think you were so annoyed with what I said that you typed so fast and accidentally agreed with me. Or do you agree? Maybe agree to disagree? lol :worthy:

Edited by ingenious

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My whole basis for this thread was to mathematically & visually prove (to myself) that my assertation of the current "visual" system & the judging thereof, is totally out of whack. Simply put, corps of preference (proven in this analytical timing of shows) are scored higher for 'moving & playing' -- or-- in this year, lack of both simultaneously, while others, are scored lower for boing both in excess WITHOUT it hurting the brass/perc scores that's all.

The sense is in the watching! There is no doubt in my mind that the two (2) top brass lines were Cadets & Phantom. Which in turn were two of the corps moving & playing simulatneously. My whole point being to show how really skewed and bias the "visual" caption(s) reall have become.

END or Finis' in France!

My whole basis for this thread was to mathematically & visually prove (to myself) that my assertation of the current "visual" system & the judging thereof, is totally out of whack. Simply put, corps of preference (proven in this analytical timing of shows) are scored higher for 'moving & playing' -- or-- in this year, lack of both simultaneously, while others, are scored lower for boing both in excess WITHOUT it hurting the brass/perc scores that's all.

The sense is in the watching! There is no doubt in my mind that the two (2) top brass lines were Cadets & Phantom. Which in turn were two of the corps moving & playing simulatneously. My whole point being to show how really skewed and bias the "visual" caption(s) reall have become.

END or Finis' in France!

There is no doubt in my mind that the two (2) top brass lines were Cadets & Phantom. Which in turn were two of the corps moving & playing simulatneously.

They all move and play, silly. No doubt in your mind at all? What about the actual brass scores?

My whole basis for this thread was to mathematically & visually prove (to myself) that my assertation of the current "visual" system & the judging thereof, is totally out of whack.

Mathematically prove? I'd love to see how you could mathematically prove that current judging methods "are out of whack." Is there some DCI formula or are you talking about measuring distance traveled? If that's what you are talking about... it's not what everyone else thinks you're talking about.

My whole point being to show how really skewed and bias the "visual" caption(s) reall have become.

I think you have a lot of people confused here. Half the people in here think the thread is all about who "plays while marching the most".... others are talking about who had harder drill.... then you just threw in that Cadets and Phantom have the best brasslines. Yes they play and march... but so does everyone else. Also, how have you determined that the judges are biased in their judging? Do you know all the judges personally?

What was the point of this thread anyway? Ok ok... who had played and marched the most? This sounds like someone trying to justify a less than satifactory placement. Sorry if I'm wrong, but hopefully I'm saying what others might be thinking. I think it would've been a much more fruitfull discussion if it was about who marched while sounding good the most... or heck, lets just skip to the after-tour obligatory "who do you think really should've won?" At least that way we could have compared how each corps played at larger stepsizes. It will always come down to execution... and that is not my opinion, it is a fact. I'll have an aneurism if anyone mentions 'politics.'

I've talked a lot about attacking opinions in this thread and before everyone dogpiles me, I just wanted to say that I'm not attacking her but rather pointing out a multitude of logical fallacies. I think that we can all agree that this thread was highly miscommunicated.

Edited by ingenious

END or Finis' in France!

Where is the mathematical and visual proof you speak of?

Why not even consider the two corps that actually won the caption during finals week? Have you listened to Bluecoats? And how was the bias affected the "visual" caption... From what I understand, (I may be wrong) the visual performance judge doesn't take into account playing... at least not nearly as much as the brass performance judge takes into account visual demand.

Also, both of these judges are on the field, with the corps... I think they have a much better idea of the demand and achievement the individuals he/she judging than anyone in the audience.

IMO, the point of drum corps (from the stands) is not to emit demand and difficulty, it's to entertain (by achieving the demand as well as possible: if that means the difficulty is imperceptible then so be it...). Which is a benchmark that Cadets and Phantom seem to have reached, in your mind, which is perfectly ok, that's opinion.

But mathematically prove that the judging system is out of whack? Judges are as human as anyone else, they live in a complex analog world, as we all do. Anything is out of whack in the real world if you try to simplify it to an equation as simple as "marching time/playing time=best brass"...

It seems more to me that the real equation was: favorite corps = most marching/playing... Just as out of whack as the ""visual" captions" you're trying to prove as out of whack...

I've talked a lot about attacking opinions in this thread and before everyone dogpiles me, I just wanted to say that I'm not attacking her but rather pointing out a multitude of logical fallacies. I think that we can all agree that this thread was highly miscommunicated.

Huh? What do you mean? What are you trying to say??? :angel:

how about this as a premise...

which corps stand the most when they play?

see...this sport/art/activity/ is becoming more and more about movement.

otherwise let's just have chairs and stands and each corps can just arc up in front and play like it was a rainout.

so movement is important...the drill...the guard...etc.

now the premise is...which corps move the most while playing?

i am offering the antithesis...which corps move the least...cover the least ground...stand still the most?

btw, it's no caps tuesday for those of you grammar critics out there.

btw, it's no caps tuesday for those of you grammar critics out there.

oh noes! there r caps in ur sig!!!1!

at the end of the season, about the whole last minute of the show was never charted (atleast, it was never shown to us)

somehow that seems silly

somehow that seems silly

What about not having dot books?