Who moved the most.......

But last I checked, the topic of this thread is "who moved the most". Not "who's show was more demanding/difficult".

Also last I checked, the sub-title is "who pushe the envelope..."

How on earth do you pushe an envelope?! JK :wub:

Edited by DKracing

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're correct. I will never know "first hand" how hard it is to march a drum corps show. I hesitated even bringing up the high school thing because I know the two can't be compared as you so graciously pointed out. I'm fully aware of this.

But last I checked, the topic of this thread is "who moved the most". Not "who's show was more demanding/difficult".

I think most drum corps fans are capable of stating their opinion on this, regardless of whether they marched or not. Saying BD didn't move the most this year takes nothing away from the caliber of corps they are.

I didnt even read the whole topic, i dont even know what you said about bd. I'm just saying that theres more to "moving" than how much time you are moving for. Difficulty also plays a role in it, and for that factor, you need the experience. You can do 8 to 5 the whole show and appear to move the most... you can stick a few good jazz runs in and appear to move the most... but you can also move 4 to 5 for a while, halt, and continue on moving at 6 to 5 for a while... halt... and they dont appear to move as much. i guess if we were to accurately decide who really does move the most we'd have to take every set, every persons step size, how many counts and over what period of time those counts are in relation to the whole shows total time and distance covered in that time.

THEN we'd know for sure.. ^0^

I didnt even read the whole topic, i dont even know what you said about bd. I'm just saying that theres more to "moving" than how much time you are moving for. Difficulty also plays a role in it, and for that factor, you need the experience. You can do 8 to 5 the whole show and appear to move the most... you can stick a few good jazz runs in and appear to move the most... but you can also move 4 to 5 for a while, halt, and continue on moving at 6 to 5 for a while... halt... and they dont appear to move as much. i guess if we were to accurately decide who really does move the most we'd have to take every set, every persons step size, how many counts and over what period of time those counts are in relation to the whole shows total time and distance covered in that time.

Exactly! Depending on the way the drill is written, things can be pretty deceiving.

He may not be taken seriously by you, but again, it does not take a braintrust to see BD stood still a high amount in comparison to most corps marching this summer. That is not a discussion about the speed of their movement or how big a portion of their show they moved. That is a completely seperate issue. To ignore the obvious only shows your bias.

In the end, marching experience or not, the dvds will tell the story.

Should i be afraid of my bias? I'm not. I'm also not ignoring the obvious... i know there are quite a few halts and whatnot. I also do know that the shows i did see, which was really only cadets and cavies.. they stood still quite a lot too. The difference was that one section was halted playing something, then the next section adds in and halts and plays.. etc. Everybody stands still and plays... its just not so obvious all the time.

Is there anyone else out there who is tired of people saying how hard jazz running is? Personally I find marching 6-5 with straight legs at 212bpm way more diffcult to execute. Im not posting to say whos better than who at what, i just want to know what your personal preference is. :)

I agree. But then we'd have to start a whole 'nother topic about what defines "moving". We talking about tempo? Distance covered? Step size? What they're doing while moving? All these things? On and on and on. And there would never be an accepted all-encompassing definition because requirement A would mean Corps Z isn't the best and Corps Z fans would protest its inclusion. Meanwhile requirement B may give an edge to Corps Y and Corps Y fans would ##### if it wasn't included.

This forum would simply implode if an agreement on any kind of grand scale actually happened.

I think it's a much more complicated equation than simply "marching/playing."

I haven't seen the DVD's yet, and otherwise, definitely haven't seen any of the shows live (at least none as they were finals week) so I won't use specific examples...

I think it is just as difficult to play at a halt after running around the field for a bunch of sets as it is to play while marching a moderate step size at a quick tempo. Obviously, running around the field while playing is more difficult than both. All three are harder than marching a little bit, park and bark, and off again at a medium tempo. My point is, a corps doesn't have to necessarily be marching while playing (or playing while marching?) for the physical demand to add difficulty to a horn book, it depends highly on what occurs before and after every section of the show. If there's going to be some sort of "scientific study" on this topic, this should at least be taken into account.

And I agree that bottom line is execution. Regardless of whether fans can tell a show is extremely difficult or not, it's who sounds, looks and affects (the audience and judges) who gets the points.

But as far as the simple "marching/playing" stop watch, I'll believe whatever numbers you guys record. Doesn't mean show a or show be is necessarily more difficult or not, though.

Jeez, I said all this stuff back on page 3... pffft!

Should i be afraid of my bias? I'm not. I'm also not ignoring the obvious... i know there are quite a few halts and whatnot. I also do know that the shows i did see, which was really only cadets and cavies.. they stood still quite a lot too. The difference was that one section was halted playing something, then the next section adds in and halts and plays.. etc. Everybody stands still and plays... its just not so obvious all the time.

Hmmm. . .off the top of my head, it seemed the stoppage time between Cadets and BD are in different leagues. I may feel differently once I see the dvd's.

There's a simple answer here...... go cadets, leave your logic at the door.

This thread is just getting silly now.

No one is changing their minds about anything, so why keep arguing it? Especially when everyone just starts repeating the same things over and over... just worded slightly differently.