Who moved the most.......

For the REASONS of the original thread, and the proof behind it, please read my INITIAL post which has where I dervied the info (proof) I speak of.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is the mathematical and visual proof you speak of?

I went and took 3 hrs last night and watched all my downloaded videos, including the DCI Premiums and came to the conclusion that of all the shows I watched -- Phantom PLAYED the MOST while seemingly MOVING the MOST WHILE DOING SO. The Cadets were a close 2nd. BD & Cavies about the same and SCV was 50-50 as well. Crown was higher than I expected BUT --- the top 4 was what my objective was.

Now, I know that BD's drill was challenging, and Cavies were always on the move, SCV has some good drill, and Crown was running all around too -- but again, I was timing the PLAYING MUSIC WHILE MOVING aspect. ----- I definately saw more stand still playing while the guard was stationery, or, vice-versa while the pit is playing. So, with that in mind, I timed the top 5 shows on a whole -- each one separately, start to finish, and THEN, I took the stopwatch and hit stop/pause each time they stood still and played on the 2nd viewing. The average was astounding! In the top three there was more standstill playing -- and movement while other things occurred (than playing brass/perc WHILE doing it) I WILL NOT divuldge the results of each corps as it would be futile to do so as 1,000,000,000 people here would complain, diss or say it was incorrect, so I say ---- DO IT YOURSELF!

What about not having dot books?

I've definitely marched my fair share of either uncharted drill, or largely uncharted drill. Heck, at Regiment pretty much everything Tony Hall does is off the top of his head (and I've heard similar stories of staging from BD). It's just another approach. After a few reps things begin to normalize, and you figure out what forms you're going to guide. It puts a lot more stress on the members, and can be frustrating in the creation process, but it is a valid way to do drill.

It just cracks me up how people are so convinced that their way is the only way to do something, and that there couldn't possibly be other equally valid ways in which to do it.

I've definitely marched my fair share of either uncharted drill, or largely uncharted drill. Heck, at Regiment pretty much everything Tony Hall does is off the top of his head (and I've heard similar stories of staging from BD). It's just another approach. After a few reps things begin to normalize, and you figure out what forms you're going to guide. It puts a lot more stress on the members, and can be frustrating in the creation process, but it is a valid way to do drill.

It just cracks me up how people are so convinced that their way is the only way to do something, and that there couldn't possibly be other equally valid ways in which to do it.

Exactly :)

I went and took 3 hrs last night and watched all my downloaded videos, including the DCI Premiums and came to the conclusion that of all the shows I watched -- Phantom PLAYED the MOST while seemingly MOVING the MOST WHILE DOING SO. The Cadets were a close 2nd. BD & Cavies about the same and SCV was 50-50 as well. Crown was higher than I expected BUT --- the top 4 was what my objective was.

Now, I know that BD's drill was challenging, and Cavies were always on the move, SCV has some good drill, and Crown was running all around too -- but again, I was timing the PLAYING MUSIC WHILE MOVING aspect. ----- I definately saw more stand still playing while the guard was stationery, or, vice-versa while the pit is playing. So, with that in mind, I timed the top 5 shows on a whole -- each one separately, start to finish, and THEN, I took the stopwatch and hit stop/pause each time they stood still and played on the 2nd viewing. The average was astounding! In the top three there was more standstill playing -- and movement while other things occurred (than playing brass/perc WHILE doing it) I WILL NOT divuldge the results of each corps as it would be futile to do so as 1,000,000,000 people here would complain, diss or say it was incorrect, so I say ---- DO IT YOURSELF!

So, any data other than what you felt you saw or what "seemed" to happen on these videos?

The word "seemingly" makes the whole think very subjective...

And, are these videos high cam? From what part of the season?

ftw

Hmmmm............ could only mean ONE thing. (:))

No, these were NOT all high cam vids or downloads/streams. I guess my point was merely this: IF visual performance/music etc IS JUDGED upon how well a product is performed visually, technically while moving and playing -- that the finals captions scores seemed a bit off. I didn't expect/desire everyone to run the gauntlet of "I'm biased"... but I did come up with interesting numbers, that I felt could pose a good discussion on how music & moving provide a good portion of what a judge sees/hears and, obviously scores upon.

Looking at the finals captions for visual, all of them, and doing what I did, made the scores seem very 'off kilter' for thos that move/played the most. That was all I was trying to get from the input of others.

I was NOT dissing or demeaning ANY CORPS, staff or programs, just stating what I came up with in a quaint little experiment I tried doing for my band camp in October.

Yes, I REALLY DO put that Masters of Music to good use !

Hmmmm............ could only mean ONE thing. (:))

No, these were NOT all high cam vids or downloads/streams. I guess my point was merely this: IF visual performance/music etc IS JUDGED upon how well a product is performed visually, technically while moving and playing -- that the finals captions scores seemed a bit off. I didn't expect/desire everyone to run the gauntlet of "I'm biased"... but I did come up with interesting numbers, that I felt could pose a good discussion on how music & moving provide a good portion of what a judge sees/hears and, obviously scores upon.

Looking at the finals captions for visual, all of them, and doing what I did, made the scores seem very 'off kilter' for thos that move/played the most. That was all I was trying to get from the input of others.

I was NOT dissing or demeaning ANY CORPS, staff or programs, just stating what I came up with in a quaint little experiment I tried doing for my band camp in October.

Yes, I REALLY DO put that Masters of Music to good use !

Then, for god sakes, post them!