Start-up and Reactivated Corps 2008

Judging from what I've been reading here, it would seem there are several start-up, as well as re-activated, corps on the horizon.

if you are one, please tell us about yourselves -

area? type? concepts?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The President's Drum and Bugle Corps

Greeneville, Tn

The Presidents was Tennessee's first drum and bugle corps and was formed in 1950. The Corps has participated in numerous drum and bugle corps contests, two Presidential Inaugural parades, several Gubernatorial Inaugural parades, and many special parades and exhibitions. They placed eighth, seventh, and fourth in three National Drum And Bugle Corps Contests. The Presidents were deactivated in 1972 but were reactivated in November, 1999. The Corps has a very rich heritage, a large number of alumni, and some talented new instructors ready to build The Presidents Drum And Bugle Corps back into a National Contender. Please join us and be a part of a great experience.

Although many of our current members are local, our Corps is a multi-state organization consisting of businessmen, music directors, corps instructors, drum corps enthusiasts, drum corps members, and alumni from several areas in Tennessee and Virginia. The Presidents Drum and Bugle Corps has a Board of Directors, is a registered non profit organization (IRS tax deductible) with the State of Tennessee, and all corps members will be insured by The Boy Scouts of America. The Corps was formed to be a competitive participant in Drum Corps International (DCI), provide a fun-filled safe environment for the participants, and grow to become a top National contender - again. We are not affiliated with the Volunteers Drum and Bugle Corps or Chris Jenkins. The Presidents training program for music and marching will be combined along with a leadership, citizenship, and an individual achievement building program which has challenge, excitement, fun, and teaches self discipline.

The Corps is seeking male and female members over 18 years of age to play and march in DCA South competitions in 2008. Training is provided free of charge in the use of brass and percussion musical instruments and color guard equipment. Potential members are invited to tryout who can play valved brass instruments; percussion instruments; spin and choreograph with rifles, flags, and/or auxiliary equipment; have experience in drum majoring; or members who have no experience - but have a desire to learn. We also want to solicit alumni, parents, and anyone else interested in helping the Corps with instruction, the Board, or the various Committees, regardless of age.

We have some of our own equipment (drums, bugles, guard), some which has been borrowed, and some which we are currently procuring. We have ordered 7 snares, 4 tenors (quints), and 5 bass drums in the traditional Presidents black diamond pearl. The required writeups have been completed and will be sent to the 21st Century Foundation to procure more bugles. A conceptual corps uniform has been designed by Michael Cesario which retains some of the old corps design and the colors of green, white, and black. Our tentative music for this year has been written by and received from a former instructor of The Cavaliers Drum And Bugle Corps. To improve our monetary outlay, Corporate contributions and Grants will be continually solicited for our equipment, uniforms, corps trips, and members.

I wish you guys luck in your quest to return to the field. I've been checking your website for years and things keep popping up preventing the Presidents from moving forward. I hope your current staff as the dedication and talent that move you forward and not three steps backwards. Once again, let 2008 be a great one for the Prez.

Desert Fire is going to have a program in 2008, but I don't think you'll see us very much this first year. We'll be spending most of our time in the neighborhood doing parades and gigs and getting our program established for 2009.

but, gee, everybody here keeps saying that dci is dying faster than lindsay lohan's career. what gives, corps are "dropping like flies" remember?

^OO^

Corps HAVE BEEN dropping like flies...especially the Division II/III units.

I know a couple of Canadian corps are hoping to hit the field in 2008. Can I say who? No. Everyone will have to wait! ;)

OK man - that's just cruel - great news, but cruel....

Corps HAVE BEEN dropping like flies...especially the Division II/III units.

I have a US Open programme from 1977 in front of me right now - sigh...

So I'll take any news about any corps starting/restarting. It's all good!

I'll go ahead and ask the inevitable...is Magic coming back or are they doomed? And if so, does this bode well or not have any effect whatsoever upon Tampa Bay's Teal Sound? And isn't there a group called "Thunder"???