What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?

What place would Bucs take at DCI Championships?  

273 members have voted

1. 1. could they make finals?

• 1-6?
    • 6-9?
    • 9-12?
    • 12-15?
    • 15-24?

I've come to the conclusion that reading most of MikeD's posts is like subjecting myself to Catherine Burr's posts...just my opinion, of course....

I was thinking more of a hot poker in the eye,,,,,,

To be frank ,,,MikeD, go back to DCI,,You don’t belong here.

***PC information to follow***

That’s my opinion.

Edited by WayBackBuc

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in some interesting conversation with knowledgeable people thinking about this topic.

I am not trying to slight any of the corps that werent the DCA Champions, because all of the corps deserve better than that. I am just asking where the DCA winner this year would place. I spent the summer on the DCI tour and saw and heard some remarkable corps, with tremendous programming.

Go ahead and vote.

Donny

I voted 15 - 24. I don't think they would do as well as a lot of people think. The activities are very different. Especially recruitment and practice schedules.

I always wondered how well some of the DCI corps staffs in Div 1 would do if they had a corps with .......

18 guard

4 pit

4 snare, 5 bass, 3 tenor

14 sops, 7 mellos, 16 baritone, 5 contra

Consider the weekend only corps Pacific Crest as a comparison area for the Buc's. That's not bad company. DCA is not in the same league as DCI in precision but I am generally more entertained by the DCA corps. The judging, show design and amount of time committed are an apples and orange comparison.

It's all good! BTW, this year I watched every DCI DIV 1, 2 and 3 corps and all DCA alumni, A and open class corps from the press box. I found examples of greatness and entertainment in all. You just have to adjust your focus and take in what the performers are giving you!

This is the BEST reply of ALL.

They all have offer something.

AND the Best One Is .................................

The kind you like most!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Supply the quote where somebody "tear down the DCI members"! I'd like to see it.

I already did...you chose to ignore it.

(BTW, your quote of my post is outdated. I originally posted at 11:11AM. I edited my post at 11:24AM (after checking cire's post to make sure I accurately quoted him/her). Your post comes in at 12:02PM. In any case, a casual observer would probably conclude that my original statement "who've been at it" is equivalent to "who've been in corps". On top of that, my correction pulls the rug out from under your reply, which does nothing to answer what relevance DCI players being students for 10 years has to do with Marty's original statement, and besides, I've shown the claim of 10 years' experience to be not very true.)

No, you claim that. You haven't "shown" that.

It was Marty's opinion that DCI shows were (going on memory here) "flat, but well-executed programs". And that statement, to you, is somehow equivalent to "tear[ing] down the DCI members". Nobody is tearing down the DCI members, except in your fevered imagination. All Marty claimed (if I may summarize) was that the years of experience (gained only from doing senior corps) could help DCA corps be competitive with DCI corps from an audience perspective (and not necessarily in scoring).

And I disagree on 'flat', as it does denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows.

That is MHO. You and Marty can certainly, and obviously do, disagree.

You claim that everything is "IMO" or "my POV", but what concrete examples can you state unequivocally that support your POV? Let's start with my first challenge to you, and it should be easy:

Where does someone in this thread "tear down the DCI members"?

I already showed that,and you just mentioned it above.

So, if that advantage doesn't exist, how do they pull off those "wonders", hmmmm? What else could we DCA members have that gives us an advantage over those DCI kids? Or are the "real" wonders only performed by DCI corps, and you're just humoring us by calling our feats "wonders". Or is it only the great players who pull them off, and the rest of us don't matter? But if the rest do matter, then how is it not true on a "corps-wide scale"?

OK, Mike, answer those questions, if you dare.

Never said you had an 'advantage' over DCI members. DCA corps perform great shows, esp given the lack of time. Period. Why you see a need to try and create some sort of 'advantage' over DCI is beyond me.

And I disagree on 'flat', as it does denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows.

Well, the DCI shows I saw were "flat" it was on TV. Only 2 dimensions. :P

I used the word vapid also, but I hope it was obvious I was joking.

After watching thousands, (or at least hundreds and hundreds), of shows for so many years, they all become predictable. You know what they're going to do and they don't disappoint - they do it.

This observation and "my opinion" doesn't "denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows." BTW, I think it is unfair of you to characterize and turn around my opinion and observations as something that would be a put down of someone's hard work and passion, just because your argument has lost some of it's steam.

They perform their butts off, just like we did when we marched. It's the show designs and music writing that seems flat to me. To me, they all follow the same formula and it gets old and "flat."

i.e. Scurry around the field like a human screen saver or as if they're playing dodgeball, playing music that has little staying power, (as far as remembering what a corps played), and then wake the audience up once in awhile with a triple forte hit into the stands.

Now, DCA is following the same tack, so when I say DCA has an advantage in experience it's not that their shows are better. It's that their experience, (musicians that have some life experience and lot's have professional playing experience), lets them breathe more life into the music they're given. I'm not saying the advantage is enough for any DCA corps to be better than a DCI corps - just more entertaining, to me, in my opinion, which you disagree with.

What the kids do in DCI is insane and they do it well, very well in the top 5 or 6, but not perfect. However, I guess I'm the only one that sees that DCI shows actually contain flaws.

The members of both DCA and DCI give their hearts and souls to their performance and I applaud them. I just wish the designers and writers would do something more entertaining and memorable. It doesn't have to involve marching the whole show at 180bpm while doing m&m gymnastics; it doesn't have to involve dressing the guard up in strange costumes and having them do some interpretive dance on steroids. Gosh, I could go on, but that is the crux of my point. To me, all that stuff is "FLAT" because, for me, it isn't as entertaining as I think it could be.

That opinion, in my opinion, doesn't "denigrate the heart and soul the DCI members put into their shows."

It may insult the show programmers and writers and such, but it is just my opinion.

Edited by Martybucs

Why? I have been watching DCA corps since the 60's.

Quit frankly your posts are pompous and condescending, go back to the DCI forums, Im sure you can relate, Its full of people like you.

Quit frankly your posts are pompous and condescending, go back to the DCI forums, Im sure you can relate, Its full of people like you.

I can see by your avatar that being a rookie you're new to MikeD's posts. They're all like that. They're pervasive like mold or cockroaches - you hate it, you know it's wrong - and it won't go away.

Actually, I'm kidding. Mike's post just offer his opinions, usually disagreeable, with at least my own view on things drum corps.

My own views on modern, say post 1985-ish corps was very unfavorable and I still don't care for it as much as before that time frame, but I think through sparring with Mike he pointed out some things I was overlooking in their performances. It helped me have some appreciation for what DCI, in particular is doing. I still don't care for it, but I can accept it for what it is. THEIR version of drum corps.

Don't be so hard on him. You'll get used to it.

I can see by your avatar that being a rookie you're new to MikeD's posts. They're all like that. They're pervasive like mold or cockroaches - you hate it, you know it's wrong - and it won't go away.

Actually, I'm kidding. Mike's post just offer his opinions, usually disagreeable, with at least my own view on things drum corps.

My own views on modern, say post 1985-ish corps was very unfavorable and I still don't care for it as much as before that time frame, but I think through sparring with Mike he pointed out some things I was overlooking in their performances. It helped me have some appreciation for what DCI, in particular is doing. I still don't care for it, but I can accept it for what it is. THEIR version of drum corps.

Don't be so hard on him. You'll get used to it.

You mean like a rash that wont go away?

Yes, I am a newbie to this forum. My dig is that he always says something like "Umm.... no your wrong about Bla Bla Bla"!

What the #^&*%$ is up with that?

I am a straight forward guy that is going to voice an opinion. Its just that,,, Opinion. Its not right or wrong. Its my spin.

And most importantly, If someone takes a shot at a corps that I had marched in,,, Im not going to sit by and let it slide.

Thanks for the advice,,