Could I Be Happier?

glory

I've got two.

1. I was in the cafeteria at my college one day last year wearing my Boston Crusaders shirt. A woman walked up and asked if I was a corps fan. Said she marched with Bluecoats in the mid-90s.

2. A few months ago I was getting my cardio in at the Y with Crown 05 blasting away in my ears. Guy on the bike next to me taps me on the shoulder and asks if I'm listening to drum corps. He said he was a member of 2-7 in the mid 70s and both his son and daughter are current corps members.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I was in the cafeteria at my college one day last year wearing my Boston Crusaders shirt. A woman walked up and asked if I was a corps fan. Said she marched with Bluecoats in the mid-90s.

Oh cool! I saw from your info that you're from Charlotte so I'm guessing that you probably ran into Kim Schillaci (now Wise)

who also lives in Charlotte. She marched with me in 92 and 93 and continued to march through 96. She later married Jeff Wise who

also marched Bluecoats 86 through 92.

Oh cool! I saw from your info that you're from Charlotte so I'm guessing that you probably ran into Kim Schillaci (now Wise)

who also lives in Charlotte. She marched with me in 92 and 93 and continued to march through 96. She later married Jeff Wise who

also marched Bluecoats 86 through 92.

Haha very coincidental here. It wasn't her. But I know her. She was the assistant director for my high school band my sophomore year and still is. And Jeff was the visual tech.

Edited by AQFlamDrag

Haha very coincidental here. It wasn't her. But I know her. She was the assistant director for my high school band my sophomore year and still is. And Jeff was the visual tech.

Ha! Small world! :)

I've got one, I was in my chemistry lab the other day, and I randomly sit next to this girl, and it's on the day that we picked lab partners. I'm wearing my SCV shirt, and we get up and walk into the room, and we become partners I guess from sitting next to each other. We get about halfway through the lab, and she blurts out, "Do you march drum corps?" I was pretty shocked, as it was the first time a stranger had said anything to me about corps. I told her that I marched this summer and blah blah, then I learned that her boyfriend marched Blue Knights a few years ago. It was really cool, and now I have a drum corps buddy who's a lab partner too.

I'll give you the "short" version...

1976, Honolulu. I'm wearing a SKYLINER sweatshirt. Two beautiful young ladies (Seattle Imperials) strike up a conversation. Eventually led to the formation of "Na Koa Alii" Jr. Drum Corps, on Oahu.

Sweet memories...

Can't top some of the stories here but I'll give it my best shot -

I'm a board member for a brass band (proudly entering our 27th season this fall) in our area and about three years ago we were looking for an extra person to beef up the cornet section.......someone capable and willing to bounce back and forth between the 2nd and 3rd parts as needed.........grunt work actually to learn two folders and not get the glory of the solo guys up front.

So........my wife (also a drum corps vet) takes her car into the Saturn dealership for service and runs into a guy getting his car serviced who is wearing a Phantom Regiment sweatshirt. She strikes up a conversation with him and learns he was not a Phantom vet BUT had marched three or four seasons with Spirit of Atlanta in the mid-to-late 1980's. She invites him to the next brass band rehearsal and a week later we've got our utility cornet player for the brass band.......plus someone to swap drum corps stories with.

Edited by notelvis

One time I went to Universal's Islands of Adventure (i live in Orlando, so i've been quite a few times) and i was wearing a Cadets shirt. As I was walking of the Spider-Man ride, one of the employees approaches me and asks me if i marched, we then got into a brief conversation about corps until my party was leaving the gift shop. Pretty cool.

I have many drum corps fantasies. No. 1 on the list is I win the lottery and make a donation large enough to bring Phantom, BD, Cadets or whomever to my office for a lunchtime concert in which they hold forth with various favorites for the 2,000 or so staff at my location. This fantasy ends with everyone I work with coming up to me and saying with stars in their eyes that now they know what I’m talking about.

No. 2 fantasy is much more pedestrian and realistic. It’s “active” each time I put on a corps t-shirt in public. It assumes that someday, somewhere, someone will walk up to me and say “Isn’t drum corps great?”

No. 2 fantasy, it seems, was more possible than probable as for decades as I wore my shirts proudly but only a cappella. That changed in a very good way a week ago. And the change came in a fashion that would surpass my middle-aged fantasies when I walked into “Hooters” for the first time.

That’s right – Hooters. I’d never been before and in my first visit happened to have on a Carolina Crown shirt. Good thing too because a beautiful waitress comes immediately to my table and asks: “Do you like drum corps.” Dream come true, it’s a wonder I didn’t start crying right there. Here’s this gorgeous young lady leaning over my table saying she loved Crown’s show this year. And while her tables waited, we discussed the shows, our affection for various corps, Allentown, Pasadena, you name it.

A beauty I'd never met before walks up to me and wants to talk about drum corp. Does it get any better than this?

HH

I'm thinking that story could get just a LITTLE better... if the next paragraph starts with "Dear Penthouse Forum..."