What does Phantom Regiment have to do to win?

Not. :doh:

Dr. Dan's comment that they always seem to be playing catchup at the end of the season, and he doesn't know why.

You would have to have a rationalization, as a group, wouldn't you, but that sort of thing will take the competitive edge off, in my opinion.

They have the stuff to win. I just hope they do the tweaking a little earlier if possible.

-- Rick - Not Sarcastic ($2 to RocketMan)

And therein lies the problem. "we don't know why?" How freakin lame is that? <**> If ya haven't figured it out by now, perhaps it's time to "move on." I know corps "tweak" throughout the season. HOWEVER, it seems, PR is in a constant state of tweak and never gets to clean. Meanwhile, BD, Cadets, Cavies, are cleaning their ###e$ off. Of course this is JMO."

Looking back to this years show, like I said "On Air" was too vague. A better title might have been, "Flight" or "In Flight."

RM - Please return your stewardess to her original upright position

ampssuck

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone has said this I kind of flew through the writings but...

Wouldn't darker uniforms clean up the visual??? :doh:

well.. think about it.

when did phantom win?

okay...

now when did Phantom wear all black?

I think everyone on here is just overanalyzing.

The judges just simply do not want to give it to Phantom. Plain and simple.

Are we kidding ourselves? We put a show called "Machine" ahead of Faust? I mean - anyone in here with any college music degree defending Cavaliers scoring higher than Phantom in Music GE at Finals is just insane. There was no excuse.

1000 Airplanes on the Roof, Flower Duet, Diabolique, Firebird.............they lose to Billy Joel? Pegasus? narration????

Let's evaluate what the judges are rewarding:

2007 Champions - mostly original music for BD, if I'm not mistaken.

2006 Champions - original "music" (using the term loosely) of machine sound effects

2005 Champions - (Alice in Wonderland on crack), Kill Bill and Dancer in the Dark

2004 Champions - James Bond (I counted over 20 times they played the same Bond theme DUH DUH DUHNNNNNNNNNN, DUH DUH DUHNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)

2003 Champions - Phenomenon of Cool (this one I can accept as a winner)

2002 Champions - Frames on the field............frames..........

2001 Champions - Four Corners...................Four corners beat things like Awayday, and Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

Then look at the shows that got 2nd, 3rd, and 4th..................Phantom needs to stop playing real music. Maybe they should do a show called "Clocks" and the whole show they just make clock sound effects and different shape clocks with drill writing. That would probably give them what they need.

Sorry - but as long as PR doesn't change (and PLEASE DON'T!) they won't be winning championships. I don't want them to pander to the non-music stuff that's winning.

PS. It helps when your corps director is Chairman of the DCI Board of Directors too, doesn't it? Just coincidence I'm sure with those Cavies wins. :) Those 2 years up there Cavies didn't win - they were 2nd.......until this year. (and oddly enough he wasn't Chair this year).

Edited by PhantomPhanatic

PS. It helps when your corps director is Chairman of the DCI Board of Directors too, doesn't it? Just coincidence I'm sure with those Cavies wins. :) Those 2 years up there Cavies didn't win - they were 2nd.......until this year. (and oddly enough he wasn't Chair this year).

This seems a little bit "over-analyzed" as well. If this were true, wouldn't Glassmen be winning all the time? I think too much credence is given around here to conspiracy.

lets not let fanboy rage get the best of us. shows are not judged on where the music they play acme from, unless it is copyright infringing music.

all that is judged is how well they play said music and how much GE they can get out of it.

(i was going to say 'how much it affects the crowd' but then Phantom would win most years, and obviously they don't.)

Are we kidding ourselves? We put a show called "Machine" ahead of Faust? I mean - anyone in here with any college music degree defending Cavaliers scoring higher than Phantom in Music GE at Finals is just insane. There was no excuse.

1000 Airplanes on the Roof, Flower Duet, Diabolique, Firebird.............they lose to Billy Joel? Pegasus? narration????

2006 Champions - original "music" (using the term loosely) of machine sound effects

2005 Champions - (Alice in Wonderland on crack), Kill Bill and Dancer in the Dark

2004 Champions - James Bond (I counted over 20 times they played the same Bond theme DUH DUH DUHNNNNNNNNNN, DUH DUH DUHNNNNNNNNNNNNNN)

2001 Champions - Four Corners...................Four corners beat things like Awayday, and Short Ride in a Fast Machine.

Then look at the shows that got 2nd, 3rd, and 4th..................Phantom needs to stop playing real music. Maybe they should do a show called "Clocks" and the whole show they just make clock sound effects and different shape clocks with drill writing. That would probably give them what they need.

Sorry - but as long as PR doesn't change (and PLEASE DON'T!) they won't be winning championships. I don't want them to pander to the non-music stuff that's winning.

Sorry, Cavies deserved to beat Phantom in 06. I don't understand how that's questionable. But hey, I guess I'm just insane.

By the way, where do you get off with this "real music" mantra you keep reiterating over and over. Okay, so Phantom is the only corps that plays "real music"? What the hell is "real music" anyway? Do you have any base for this at? If you ask me, if you have a music degree and deny that what all corps are playing is "real music", then you are the one that's really insane. But honestly, this isn't about what's "real music", or who has a music degree (who gives a crap?) I think it's really unfair, almost bordering on ignorant that you refute the legitimacy of certain music (Cavies and some others in this instance) just because YOU don't like it. Well the world doesn't work like that, the amount of bias you have borders on sickening. Cavies played the same James Bond theme over and over? Actually, no they didn't. By the way, feel more than free to ignore Rhapsody in 2005, which is was actually incredibly repetitive (still one of my favorite shows from Phantom as of late). I'm sorry, but all of this, "The judges hate Phantom, the judges don't reward REAL music", that's bantered about all the time is just getting really old. And I love Phantom, I've always liked their shows, my high school band director who got me into drum corps marched there and they're pretty classy on tour. I have nothing against them, but give me a break man.

If it doesn't sound like Brahms it's not music, right? Oh wait...

Who's willing to give me an analysis and point out dot for dot why, say, Cavies 06 isn't music? There's melody, rhythm, harmony...hell, even artistic intent. You've got the basic foundation for what is accepted in the Western world as being music.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

PS. It helps when your corps director is Chairman of the DCI Board of Directors too, doesn't it? Just coincidence I'm sure with those Cavies wins. smile.gif Those 2 years up there Cavies didn't win - they were 2nd.......until this year. (and oddly enough he wasn't Chair this year).

Hmm, there are other corps directors on the Board, and their groups certainly aren't winning. Guess you'll have to find something new to pull out of your ###.

wrong. just wrong.

I can't even value that post as an "opinion" because opinions can never be wrong, and what you just posted is... well, it's completely wrong.

Phantom doesn't win because they're not as good as the corps that beat them. hell sometimes, they're lucky to be where they are. The argument that Phantom doesn't win because they play real music is just about as stupid and ignorant as they come.

and if you can seriously sit there and tell me that shows like Cavies 01, 02, and Cadets 05 shouldn't have won, then I'm sorry, but you're out of your mind. all 3 of those years were incredible, but there wasn't a corps in the bunch (yes, that includes Phantom) that were even close to those corps.

~>conner