Booing in drum corps

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!  

260 members have voted

1. 1. Have you booed at a drum corps show?

• Never have, never will
    • never have, never will, but I don't object to other people booing
    • I have, but I won't again
    • I have, and I might again if inclined to

Malarkey. The corps was booed.

I agree w/MikeD and many others. Oh that's right, I wasn't listening closely enough, when I thought you were booing the corps you were actually shouting -

"THIS IS ME BOOING THE CREATIVE CHOICES OF THE CORPS DIRECTOR, WHICH I DISAGREE WITH STRONGLY ENOUGH TO EXPRESS MY VOCAL DISAPPROVAL OF. THIS DOES NOT CONSIST OF ME BOOING THE EFFORTS OF THE PERFORMERS, WHICH IN FACT, I APPLAUD. PLEASE RECOGNIZE MY ACKOWLEDGMENT OF THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN THE TWO SO THAT YOU DO NOT MISCONSTRUE MY INTENTIONS."

You're mad at a director, be a sport and write him an email. You're not that obnxious guy with the beer hat at the Little League game. (Unless, I suppose, you are.) Don't act the fool.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, I find booing much less offensive then:

1. The people who are closely connected with a corps who talk through and ridicule every other corps performance, and then expect total silence during their corps performance.

2. The people who insist on screaming into their cellphone in the middle of a show and scream "Listen to this".

3. The people behind you who eat like pigs and then kick their trash into the back of your legs.

4. The people who scream in the middle of a final's show so that they can be heard on the CD/DVD.

I agree with that

after reading this entire thread, not one good reason was given not to boo

I really don’t care if someone thinks I’m classless. Is that really what someone said? Maybe I should review but calling someone lacking in class is elitist (like so much of Drum Corps has become) – similar to insulting someone by calling them trailer trash. Classless = lacking class, lowest member of society usually based upon economic conditions, eductaion or status of birth depending upon country. I wonder if they think the folks at the La Scala are classless? Really, classless? They are just trying to project their values upon other but by a means that is more repugnant than what they claim to oppose.

Booing been in the news a bunch this past week, the Cubs ace, big Z got booed for underperforming on his 93 million dollar contract. He chastised the Cubs fans that booed him and the next day, Cubs brass made him atone for his comments. He was getting ripped a new one for denouncing the fans boos all over the media, town and Cubdom. He was very humbled by his bosses, the Tribune company and fans.

I booed loudly at the Sox game on this past Friday; it has been happening a lot this year. Maybe going to full season instead of split season tickets is not going to be the best replacement for DCI after they pass electronics. They gave up 6 runs in the 9th to in a tie game. Most people booed and then left. I stayed because it was fireworks night and after 13 innings, they won. But I still booed them in the top of the 9th – I think it fired them up to get 6 runs of their own in the bottom of the 9th. Prove me wrong. Our booing inspired them they had only put up 4 runs before the booing.

I heard a lot of booing during the Michigan game on Saturday. Yep, a bunch of amateur that most likely saw their pro-aspirations fizzle.

I’ve tried the talk to the staff after a show thing only because I saw it suggested here (on DCP). And as crazy and silly as it sounded to me, it was. As polite as I was, they don’t want to hear it, they took it as being rude and replied in kind. So I don’t suggest anyone trying that unless you want to hear an overly defensive staffer get in a snit over what should have been a rather begin comment.

Also, I did not clap or stand for a corps this year and some people had a problem with that too. I guess it ruined their experience that I did not like their corps as much as they did. And as singularly odd as I thought that was, I read some guy on this site moaning about people leaving their seats during Blue Devils 2005. So you best stay and clap because if you don't like their corps as much as they do you are classless, close-minded, irrelevant, should stop going to DCI shows and are a big meanie that kill puppies, plus you just don’t understand art...hmmpft.

Really, I don’t like ‘GOOOO JENNIFER’ or “I’M So WET” being screamed during the ballad but hey, I’m in a stadium, I expect it and I move on. I find that far more rude than booing more so when I hear it year after year on the DVDs. Now if they booed during the ballad, but they haven’t…so.

And it’s all too common to hear other ‘homers’ rip on other corps shows around you in the stands – I hear this at all shows, always. I heard a big ZZZZZ durring what I thought was the best show at finals this year. But its does not bug me as much as some kid that was bored out of their minds being dragged to a show and forced to watch the entire thing as I hear the patter between he and his dad throughout the entire night 'when can we go...after cavies, when are they on, soon (this was before intermission - I wanted to tell the kid his dad was a liar)...are cavies next, no...I'm tired can we go...after cavies.. that was my backing track for Cavalcade of brass this year but I’ve heard it at other shows too.

So, I don’t understand what people are complaining about with the boos or what they think their rights are in a stadium or how certain infractions into my personal space are acceptable (jumbo seat backs, bratty chatty kids, over zealous staff and homers or HEY MICHELLE) while other infractions are not acceptable. I mean gee, I watching Santa Clara’s show and all of a sudden all these people shouted ‘Van Gough’ or something, I never felt the need to make them stop. It’s all or nothing, if you can shout you can boo – you can’t control content – well, it is illegal to shout fire and certain words will get you bounced from a ball game but that’s only 7+1= 8 words total that are outlawed in big crowds and none of them are boo.

I think I may start booing Drum Corps next year, some people really need to get over themselves or maybe I should just get a big sign that says boo - I can just see it - My eyes, my eyes after trying really hard all night, I finally saw the front of the sign and....my eyes, my eyes

I agree with that

after reading this entire thread, not one good reason was given not to boo

I really don’t care if someone thinks I’m classless. Is that really what someone said? Maybe I should review but calling someone lacking in class is elitist (like so much of Drum Corps has become) – similar to insulting someone by calling them trailer trash. Classless = lacking class, lowest member of society usually based upon economic conditions, eductaion or status of birth depending upon country. I wonder if they think the folks at the La Scala are classless? Really, classless? They are just trying to project their values upon other but by a means that is more repugnant than what they claim to oppose.

Booing been in the news a bunch this past week, the Cubs ace, big Z got booed for underperforming on his 93 million dollar contract. He chastised the Cubs fans that booed him and the next day, Cubs brass made him atone for his comments. He was getting ripped a new one for denouncing the fans boos all over the media, town and Cubdom. He was very humbled by his bosses, the Tribune company and fans.

I booed loudly at the Sox game on this past Friday; it has been happening a lot this year. Maybe going to full season instead of split season tickets is not going to be the best replacement for DCI after they pass electronics. They gave up 6 runs in the 9th to in a tie game. Most people booed and then left. I stayed because it was fireworks night and after 13 innings, they won. But I still booed them in the top of the 9th – I think it fired them up to get 6 runs of their own in the bottom of the 9th. Prove me wrong. Our booing inspired them they had only put up 4 runs before the booing.

I heard a lot of booing during the Michigan game on Saturday. Yep, a bunch of amateur that most likely saw their pro-aspirations fizzle.

I’ve tried the talk to the staff after a show thing only because I saw it suggested here (on DCP). And as crazy and silly as it sounded to me, it was. As polite as I was, they don’t want to hear it, they took it as being rude and replied in kind. So I don’t suggest anyone trying that unless you want to hear an overly defensive staffer get in a snit over what should have been a rather begin comment.

Also, I did not clap or stand for a corps this year and some people had a problem with that too. I guess it ruined their experience that I did not like their corps as much as they did. And as singularly odd as I thought that was, I read some guy on this site moaning about people leaving their seats during Blue Devils 2005. So you best stay and clap because if you don't like their corps as much as they do you are classless, close-minded, irrelevant, should stop going to DCI shows and are a big meanie that kill puppies, plus you just don’t understand art...hmmpft.

Really, I don’t like ‘GOOOO JENNIFER’ or “I’M So WET” being screamed during the ballad but hey, I’m in a stadium, I expect it and I move on. I find that far more rude than booing more so when I hear it year after year on the DVDs. Now if they booed during the ballad, but they haven’t…so.

And it’s all too common to hear other ‘homers’ rip on other corps shows around you in the stands – I hear this at all shows, always. I heard a big ZZZZZ durring what I thought was the best show at finals this year. But its does not bug me as much as some kid that was bored out of their minds being dragged to a show and forced to watch the entire thing as I hear the patter between he and his dad throughout the entire night 'when can we go...after cavies, when are they on, soon (this was before intermission - I wanted to tell the kid his dad was a liar)...are cavies next, no...I'm tired can we go...after cavies.. that was my backing track for Cavalcade of brass this year but I’ve heard it at other shows too.

So, I don’t understand what people are complaining about with the boos or what they think their rights are in a stadium or how certain infractions into my personal space are acceptable (jumbo seat backs, bratty chatty kids, over zealous staff and homers or HEY MICHELLE) while other infractions are not acceptable. I mean gee, I watching Santa Clara’s show and all of a sudden all these people shouted ‘Van Gough’ or something, I never felt the need to make them stop. It’s all or nothing, if you can shout you can boo – you can’t control content – well, it is illegal to shout fire and certain words will get you bounced from a ball game but that’s only 7+1= 8 words total that are outlawed in big crowds and none of them are boo.

I think I may start booing Drum Corps next year, some people really need to get over themselves or maybe I should just get a big sign that says boo - I can just see it - My eyes, my eyes after trying really hard all night, I finally saw the front of the sign and....my eyes, my eyes

Well, I think if I saw someone with a Boo sign at a drum corps show, my first thought would be they are looking for the esteemed Mr. Boo.....you know, kind of like a driver at the airport arrival lounge. :)

Truthfully, the more I read your posts, the more I'm sorry that you're so angry about what should be a fun pastime. It sounds like this isn't the only fun activity that you're angry about either. I don't know you from a hole in the wall, but if it were me, I would do whatever I could to not continue to live so angrily. The only options I know are 1. Do something concrete to cause change. 2. Live with it and get over it. 3. Walk away.

Life is short and drum corps is supposed to be one of the fun parts.

Peace,

CuriousMe

I boo corps in full uniform while drinking a beer and hitting on underaged girls. What are you going to do about it? It's my right as a fan to expel my distaste with DCI.

I have seen things like that happen...at least partially. It certainly wasnt my own corps though :ph34r:

What's sort of sad and funny at the same time is that 63 people (as of this post) feel booing in some form is okay.

... or they at least recognize the realities of the audience-performer dynamic, which is a reality that is not going to change, in any area of the Entertainment Industry, just because a portion of the audience thinks it's wrong or unfair to do so.

(1) I have NEVER booed a corps......nobody who works 8-14 hours per day in the heat to perform for an audience deserves to be booed............also, these are not professional performers, but are kids......if you don't like their show, then don't clap....if you really can't stand them, go for a Coke..............

(2) I HAVE booed scores/results of a show. The individuals who judge are paid professionals to make a call. Sometimes I don't agree with a call....sometimes I highly disagree.......and if that call places someone lower than I think is right, or I don't agree with the winner, that is the only way that I can voice my displeasure. I would do the same thing at a sporting event if it is a bad call in a big game, especially late in a tight game with all on the line.

(3) I do not think any yelling or booing during a corps performance is called for, and I consider it a disruption of the performance and improper behavior....not only to the performers, but the rest of the audience. If you did this at a golf or tennis match, or at an indoor jazz or orchestral concert, you would be shown the door.....in a hurry.......this is not a football game, but a musical performance. I think those who yell ANYTHING at inappropriate times during a performance, especially to "make the record" (like so many think they have to these days), and especially anything derogatory....should be shown the exit... I also feel that showing disrespect to any corps during their performance in the future has the potential to actually cause altercations in the stands........

GB