Let's start being specific about narration!

We are getting alot of generalized arguments for narration. Things like "it enhances creative design", or "It tells a story". What I would like to hear are specific moments where narration has blown a crowd away. Where was that moment where a crowd threw babies or peed (it won't let me say the other word) :P in their pants due to narration?

I contend that all the things I've heard from narration are just sophomoric spoon feedings of the shows idea. Example: I got the Crown show just fine without it being explained to me. I was disappointed to hear they added the narration. I didn't like it when I heard it later.

Edited by Lancerlady

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are getting alot of generalized arguments for narration. Things like "it enhances creative design", or "It tells a story". What I would like to hear are specific moments where narration has blown a crowd away. Where was that moment where a crowd threw babies or peed (it won't let me say the other word) :P in their pants due to narration?

I contend that all the things I've heard from narration are just sophomoric spoon feedings of the shows idea. Example: I got the Crown show just fine without it being explained to me. I was disappointed to hear they added the narration. I didn't like it when I heard it later.

Bluecoats "Drop your weapons" moment.

Bluecoats "Drop your weapons" moment.

That moment made you pee in your pants? :P

Edited by Lancerlady

Stephanie- Hopefully it wasn't a #2. b**bs

Followed by the silent drill work after "You have the right to remain silent!"

The Blue Coats are the only case where I thought to myself, "Now that worked!" Very clever.

My thinking is Naration is when a person on the field in on mic explaining what is going on in the show. In my view this contributes nothing to the show and is irritating. If your show needs explaining then scrap it and do another show.

Now Sound effects are not narration which does not irritate me, however, the use of amps makes me sad.

If i had to choose I'd pick sound effects over someone making a speech.

My thinking is Naration is when a person on the field in on mic explaining what is going on in the show. In my view this contributes nothing to the show and is irritating. If your show needs explaining then scrap it and do another show.

so basically you arent going to give any narration a chance? so in other words you dont want DCI to progress?

crown and bluecoats narration worked, they went with the show, and didnt over power the playing on the field. the cadets narration was too much in my oppinion.

EDIT: cant spell!

Edited by r3vo

so basically you arent going to give any narration a chance? so in other words you dont want DCI to progress?

crown and bluecoats narration worked, they went with the show, and didnt over power the playing on the field. the cadets narration was too much in my oppinion.

EDIT: cant spell!

Where did the idea come that DCI can only progress if it adds narration? Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't there like... an infinite number of other things in this world that a corps could do? I don't see why we've chosen narration as our highway to the next state.

And we DID give narration a chance. You don't want us to give it a CHANCE, you want us to LIKE it. Sorry, I don't. I don't mind singing or the small effect bits (like Bluecoats) but long winded narratives like what happened with The Cadets this year, Boston with their color shows, you get the idea, detract from the product in my mind. So no, I do NOT want that to become the norm.

Narration of any degree is bad, with the exception of impact points, and short phrases that don't overwhelm those of us schmucks who bought a ticket.

It's way too BOA, and corny the way the Cadets carry on.

And I think the more we obsess about it here, the worse Hopkins' is going to lay it on us next year. That's the kind of guy he appears to be.

And if anybody thinks that narration is some sort of evolutionary step up as far innovation and creativity is concerned, you are foolish.

Edited by siuehist

And we DID give narration a chance.

when did you give it a chance? ive read posts all season saying "i hate the cadets narration" when most had not even seen the show! same with crowns narration. not many gave these two corps chances to proove narration can work. get the dvd, watch the shows from finals, then say if you like or dislike narration.

dont be a hypocrite, its not cool.