Blue Stars' "Move"

Not intending to say that the sky is falling, but I think it is just this kind of thing that hurts growth of the activity (referring to number of corps). There are constant attempts to move into other areas, having auditions and camps in multiple states and so on. It seems like it meant a lot more when corps were generally in their "home area" and those who wanted to march there would get there by whatever method was required. I would much prefer new corps be developed in other areas instead of having established corps put their footprint on it.

Edited by Tekneek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not intending to say that the sky is falling, but I think it is just this kind of thing that hurts growth of the activity (referring to number of corps). There are constant attempts to move into other areas, having auditions and camps in multiple states and so on. It seems like it meant a lot more when corps were generally in their "home area" and those who wanted to march there would get there by whatever method was required. I would much prefer new corps be developed in other areas instead of having established corps put their footprint on it.

But what if a corps cannot get any facilities in their "local area"? It is becoming more and more difficult to get people to allow drum corps the use of their schools, local or otherwise, for overnight camps. If a corps can work out a deal with a facility that will save them thousands of dollars a year, and allow their members and staff to get discounted airfares, does it really matter that it is not "local"?

And the corps hold tryouts in other states so that more young adults can afford to try out and be exposed to the drum corps activity. For example, what corps can a kid from Idaho hope to march in if he has to stay "local"? What about Montana? Or Kansas? Oklahoma? Nebraska? How about half the states on the east coast now?

And people have been trying to start new corps in areas such as those I mentioned above for years. But the costs are high for everything (i.e., fuel, food, instruments) and there are very few areas that give the financial support towards things such as corps in order for them to stay solvent. There are new non-profits springing up ever day, but there isn't a whole lot more $$$ being donated to non-profits as a whole. Typing "I would much prefer new corps be developed in other areas instead of having established corps put their footprint on it" on the internet is easy, actually doing something to create corps in all of these places is very hard.

But what if a corps cannot get any facilities in their "local area"?

Why not just move the corps to this new area completely then? Make it the new home for the corps since they actually support the corps.

For example, what corps can a kid from Idaho hope to march in if he has to stay "local"?

I never said anything about "kids" having to "stay local." If they want to march with a corps a thousand miles away, find a way to get there. I don't believe corps have camps in multiple areas for the convenience of potential members. I think they do it because they don't want to "settle" for those who would come to a single location.

Typing "I would much prefer new corps be developed in other areas instead of having established corps put their footprint on it" on the internet is easy, actually doing something to create corps in all of these places is very hard.

Gee, that is so obvious that I wonder why you even bothered to type it yourself.

By the way, I stated that as sort of my ideal preference. I thought it seemed rather clear by my actual word choice, but perhaps not.

Edited by Tekneek

Did you consider the logistics involved of actually getting to a city like La Crosse, especially during the winter? If you are flying there, you cannot get direct flights - period. So that means connections, which add a couple of hours to the flight. That means you arrive severfal hours later (assuming all the flights and connections make it on time), and you have to leave a couple of hours earlier and hope to god you make it home for schol the next day. Ever fly in and out of small regional airports during the winter?

Did you consider the cost difference between a local facility? Should a corps spend money unnecessarily on facilities, when there are cheaper alternatives available to them? Must corps hurt themselves financially, so that you can feel good about the fact that they are "local"?

Come on, these arguments are nonsense! Holding rehersals in a location that is easiest for hte members to get to, is cheaper transportation wise, is cheaper facility wise, is closer to staff, and is equidistant for existing members and staff is a smart decision.

Did you consider the logistics involved of actually getting to a city like La Crosse, especially during the winter? If you are flying there, you cannot get direct flights - period. So that means connections, which add a couple of hours to the flight. That means you arrive severfal hours later (assuming all the flights and connections make it on time), and you have to leave a couple of hours earlier and hope to god you make it home for schol the next day. Ever fly in and out of small regional airports during the winter?

Did you consider the cost difference between a local facility? Should a corps spend money unnecessarily on facilities, when there are cheaper alternatives available to them? Must corps hurt themselves financially, so that you can feel good about the fact that they are "local"?

Come on, these arguments are nonsense! Holding rehersals in a location that is easiest for hte members to get to, is cheaper transportation wise, is cheaper facility wise, is closer to staff, and is equidistant for existing members and staff is a smart decision.

:wub::wub::doh:

What I tried to say....only in better English :P .

Makes me wonder why they have their corps headquartered in such a place anyway then. Maybe it is time to make a permanent move.

Makes me wonder why they have their corps headquartered in such a place anyway then. Maybe it is time to make a permanent move.

But a "pemanent move" may be disaserous if/ when your corps changes staff (if you base gaining a facility on a staff member teaching there)...La Crosse is where the Blue Stars came from, where the main office is, where the MAIN support comes from.

When someone is financailly limited, as I am, location is a large factor in the decision in where I march. I can't afford to fly to Indy every month. A 14 hour car ride in a carpool is the only way I could get there. I guess Scouts are my only option.

Look up some of your favorite corporations out there...you may be surprised how many of them are not based in the location where they are registered as a corporation.

Just sayin'...there's precedent for it out there.

That's because there's nothing that says you can't. In fact, I'm surprised more corps don't take advantage of it. Delaware and Nevada are two states I can think of with very friendly tax laws regarding corporations. Maybe it doesn't work for non-profits?

United Airlines, forever associated with Chicago since the meerger of three airlines to form UAL, is incorporated in Delaware.

Regarding local vs imports, by the time a corps gets to repeat finals appearances, local often give up on auditioning for their local corps because they are intimidated by the number of people coming to audition. I think corps should be free to audition in their own way, but I wish there were more of a community outreach. I find it hard to believe that SCV and BD need to audition out of state with the population base in the Bay Area. Same for Cavaliers, Cadets, Crusaders.

Forgive me for the old pharte redux, but these same areas used to field multiple corps with only local membership. Yes, not all of them fielded what we would consider a full Div I corps, but considering there is only one surviving corps in some of these areas, there should be a huge recruiting base in Chicago, Boston, Eastern PA, Santa Clara (South SF Bay) and Concord (North SF Bay).

Even in a smaller market like Seattle/Portland, I remember going to a competition in Eastern Washington in the early 70's. Pasco Scores Three corps were from SoCal, one from Colorado. The other 14 were from the NW, and that didn't even include the Imperials. Now there is only the Cascades, Oregon Crusaders and Spokane Thunder. The Crusaders are a rebirth of an earlier NW corps, and Thunder is a recent addition.

Garry in Vegas