Blue Stars' "Move"

Nope..Bloomington.

Remember, he is not the caption head, only an advisor. The actual BCH at Blue Stars (Matt Tye) lives in Wisconson, ironically.. :doh:

Actually ... the BCH at Blue Stars was Andy Tye ... Matt's brother.

Their mom

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, it stuns me the frequency that others prove my thoughts genius...and yet so humble I remain!

BD auditions in Dallas for Brass...

Blue Stars move from middle of nowhere to 5 minutes from a major International airport...

Anybody in Rockford paying attention to this stuff??

Yeah, but do they have great Mexican food there? :doh:

Don't the corps rehearse all over the country during the summer? just bustin your chops ryan.

...Mexican...

Everydays were held at the State Fairgrounds for a portion of everydays in 2007. The remainder of everydays were held at Ben Davis high school in Indianapolis.

I know, that's why I said "the majority of all-days." :)

So without having to go to Google Earth, is this close to LaCross in terms of driving time? Because...well...how are you "based" in one state and rehearse in another? That doesn't make sense to me. I mean...it makes SENSE...but it doesn't make sense to me.

No, LaCrosse is actually quite far away from Indianapolis. It's on the extreme western side of Wisconsin, and reasonably far north.

And I agree with those who say that corporations, etc can be "out of" somewhere, but not actually have too much activity there. Besides, the Blue Stars do fundraising and other activities in LaCrosse... at the LaCrosse home show, much of the audience is comprised of LaCrosse residents watching their Blue Stars... and only related to the organization through geographical location. There's a long history there.

Edited by Supersonic

It seems that most corps that hold auditions in other states do so because they have current/former staff who are band directors in those locations.

I would assume BD holds auditions in Dallas (or FW, technically Haltom City, yeah?) because of Van Mathews being a band director at Haltom HS, and Bill Watson at Richland HS, both of whom are on BD's brass staff.

Crown holds some auditions in Avon, IN due to Harloff being a band director there.

Cavaliers have a large contingent of FMMs and staff in and around both Houston and Chicago, so it makes sense to hold auditions in both places. Historically, Houston auditions have been at Waller HS in Waller, TX, where all three directors are Cavaliers FMMs. Auditions in Powder Springs, GA are held because of a visual staff member who has recently started teaching in GA.

The Blue Stars of Indiana... I can see it. =)

Sounds kinda Catchy! I like it! b**bs

So without having to go to Google Earth, is this close to LaCross in terms of driving time? Because...well...how are you "based" in one state and rehearse in another? That doesn't make sense to me. I mean...it makes SENSE...but it doesn't make sense to me.

Well, actually Blue Stars have been having their rehearsal camps out of state for years, at Irondale HS in the greater Minneapolis area. OK that's only about 2 hours out of LaCrosse Wi but still, it's a different state.

I'm not so sure. Can't even say 'Blue Stars' without thinking LaCrosse. Though IN is home to all things Star.

At one point this summer before the Indy show, the Blue Stars were staying at the former Star corps hall and using it's practice facilities. It was surreal to see a corps on those long fallow practice fields. Kids on the field, staff on the tower, food truck cooking away along side the building kitchen. Floods of memories of grand old times.

Speaking from a cook truck volunteer perspective, it was a bit surreal taking part in it. Although I suspect the kids were too busy marching to give it a whole lot of thought.

It was a privilege to use the facility and much appreciated by all. Not to mention the best by far sleeping accommodations of the year for volunteers! (Got to spread out on a plush carpet in an air conditioned office with lights that could be turned off!) b**bs

I can only agree with you Tim. It was a special experience to stay at the Star facilities. A place so full of history. It felt a bit like stepping on holy ground. Having shared the exact same room with you, I share your feelings about it, you forgot to mention the private bathroom though. Too bad the weather wasn't all that great, but hey, you can't have it all. :P

I just can't get over the fact that there really aren't any "local" corps left. Remember when the kids were mainly from the city that the corps is from.