It's called DRUM & BUGLE Corps

Maybe we are talking over each other, not to each other...lets' see....

Yup...no disagreement there.

OK...no prob there either.

OK...don't see anything to disagree with there either. We're doing OK! :)

OK...I guess we don't disagree as much as our initial impression. :)

I didn't think so.

Just bad writing on my part, I think.

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One nice thing about having a pit is the incessant clanging of the bell parts of the 70's was eliminated, as they can be used as appropriate. Back then, since they were carried the arrangers had to write what were, in effect, xylo parts for the marching bells, in order to get PA credit for demand...and to give the players enough to do.

Ok, I'll give you this one.

However, I fail to see when those annoying things are ever appropriate.

Maybe we are talking over each other, not to each other...lets' see....

Yup...no disagreement there.

OK...no prob there either.

OK...don't see anything to disagree with there either. We're doing OK! :)

OK...I guess we don't disagree as much as our initial impression. :)

017.gif:ph34r:

That's right. You have to live ina district that has a competitive band. However, according the historical data I've seen posted, there were at it's peak 440 competitive field corps in the country, around 1971. That servedeven less of the total population, numerically.

I suggest you misread that 440 figure - as well as the "peak year"...

Do you have a cite?

I suggest you misread that 440 figure - as well as the "peak year"...

Do you have a cite?

do you have a ball park figure? i thought there was about 300 in n.y. state alone?

do you have a ball park figure? i thought there was about 300 in n.y. state alone?

Here's a (partial) listing of NYS corps thanks to Harry Raines:

http://www.dbcna.com/States%20NY-ND.htm

There were a few hundred in the '60s (dozens in NYC alone)...

PA, NJ, MA, CT, IL, WI, CA et al had similar numbers during the same time period - plus the Canadian Provinces...

I'm willing to bet there were well over 1000 active corps at one time in the '60s - but I'm too lazy to go through all the lists and sort by year!

:)

My bugle has valves - 3 of them! It's a bugle because that is what it is called by people that make them and people that play them. People determine definitions.

Exactly. And YOUR definition of what a "bugle" is, and which types of "bugles" should be allowed in a "drum and bugle corps," is your definition. There are those who might argue that the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps is the only "pure" drum and bugle corps in existence, because the Marines play on two-valve G instruments.

My point is.... that many people have many definitions of what a "drum and bugle corps" is. You have yours, and I have mine. The Marines have theirs.... and since they also carry weapons, I'll go with their definition. :P

So....if people determine that modern-day corps, using B-flat instruments, amplified pit percussion, and using narration, are "drum and bugle corps".... than I guess that those groups are just that: Drum and bugle corps.

And if a group comes out playing kazoos, and the people performing with that group say they are a "drum and bugle corps"..... then that group should be considered a drum and bugle corps. Because after all, people determine definitions.

You and others seem to be trying to say I don't like modern drum corps.

WRONG. You've never said you don't like modern drum corps. In fact, you have stated you like modern-day drum corps. Even if they are bands. :P

I sure as heck have never "seemed to try to say" anything... at any time, anywhere, about anyone. Not my style at all.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about all this........ and maybe we can continue our discussion over a cold beverage after an alumni show sometime. That would be cool! Iced tea or soda for me, since it looks like I'm going to be Mrs. Haring's driver for a while.

Fran

Exactly. And YOUR definition of what a "bugle" is, and which types of "bugles" should be allowed in a "drum and bugle corps," is your definition. There are those who might argue that the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps is the only "pure" drum and bugle corps in existence, because the Marines play on two-valve G instruments.

My point is.... that many people have many definitions of what a "drum and bugle corps" is. You have yours, and I have mine. The Marines have theirs.... and since they also carry weapons, I'll go with their definition. :P

So....if people determine that modern-day corps, using B-flat instruments, amplified pit percussion, and using narration, are "drum and bugle corps".... than I guess that those groups are just that: Drum and bugle corps.

And if a group comes out playing kazoos, and the people performing with that group say they are a "drum and bugle corps"..... then that group should be considered a drum and bugle corps. Because after all, people determine definitions.

I keep responding because everytime I give "my" definition of drum and bugle corps, certain someones have to make a point of reminding me it IS only "my" definition, which leads me to believe that they are saying that "my" definition isn't a valid one.

The bugle analogy is really only a partially valid one because the bugle is really a "family" of instruments, just like the trumpet. And I've never had a problem with corps using either because I'm more concerned with the style or manner in which a group performs more so than the equipment it uses. Those that approved each generation of instruments, I feel, also saw that the instrument itself didn't define the activity, since the word bugle really does encompass so many different variations. Again, not to say there wasn't heated debate and controversy over each rule change.

The Marines are a drum and bugle corps not because of their 2 valve bugles or their weapons, it is because they are true to the military tradition of a drum and bugle corps.

People do determine definitions through their usage of a word or term. I don't think a group playing kazoos calling themselves a drum and bugle corps would catch on as far as usage is concerned, In other words, I don't think that will make it into the dictionary, but every year new terms are added due to common usage.i.e, "ain't" IS in the dictionary, now.

I'm not doing a, this is better or worse thing here - just pointing out a difference that I perceive and have only said as much. The constant responses of, "I don't think so. That's only your opinion or definition", compromises something that I feel is a valid point. One style is overtly more military than the other. Not saying everyone has to agree, but simply saying, "that's just your opinion", is not a real argument, since I already know it's my opinion/definition. In other words, there is no need to point out the obvious, unless you have something to add.

WRONG. You've never said you don't like modern drum corps. In fact, you have stated you like modern-day drum corps. Even if they are bands. :P

In a certain generic sense and definition of the word "band", drum corps, even drum and bugle corps are bands. I think this word as an insult is a one way street, although it never really bothered me.

I sure as heck have never "seemed to try to say" anything... at any time, anywhere, about anyone. Not my style at all.

We'll just have to agree to disagree about all this........ and maybe we can continue our discussion over a cold beverage after an alumni show sometime. That would be cool! Iced tea or soda for me, since it looks like I'm going to be Mrs. Haring's driver for a while.

Fran

I usually respond in kind to how someone has responded to my posts, or at least how I perceive their response. In print, it is sometimes hard to tell if someone is serious or not. Whether they're smiling or frowning when they write.

Whenever, you comment on anyone's posts, you are saying something about the person you are responding to, or else there is no point to the response. I'm OK with that, I hope you are also. I enjoy the give and take of a good discussion, but if I was offensive, I apologize.

Also, just had some back surgery last week and have been in a bit of constant pain, (nothing I can't handle), but may have made me more surly than normal. If that sounds like an excuse, well...it is.

For me, this was much more enjoyable than just reading another Hawaiian Shirt comment.

Glad to hear your wife is making strides.

Edited by Martybucs

[

The Marines are a drum and bugle corps not because of their 2 valve bugles or their weapons. The Marines are a drum and bugle corps not because of their 2 valve bugles or their weapons, it is because they are true to the military tradition of a drum and bugle corps.

It is my understanding that if the USMC D&B switch to B-Flat horns, the Corps will disband the Drum Corps and incorperate them into the band.

Back in 1966 I attended the Field Music School at Parris Island. It was a school for the USMC Buglers and Drummers. There were very few tunes that we could play with the Parris Island Band. We used single valve with rotor (G-D) horns. We would end up marching at the back of the band and played seperatly from them. It's kind of funny that the 25 person Drum Corps could sound twice as loud as the 60 member band.

Jim Ormiston, Park City Pride :mmm: :mmm: :mmm:

Edited by Scarlet Knight