Audition reports

TrishDish1002

from what I heard Shen is absolutely breath taking and they are performing on another VELVET floor!!! this year its brown!!

ugh. . .I feel like Shen has fallen into a rut of doing the same show over and over again with the only change being their music and some colors. Don't get me wrong, they are a super talented group, but after a while. . .yawn. I'd like them to step outside the box a little. . .I can remember them doing that quite a bit when they were an IA group. I dug their psycho show!

Another group that has fallen into this rut is Flanagan...and James Logan use that rut, but has since really started morphing themselves and that has been really nice to see!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ugh. . .I feel like Shen has fallen into a rut of doing the same show over and over again with the only change being their music and some colors. Don't get me wrong, they are a super talented group, but after a while. . .yawn. I'd like them to step outside the box a little. . .I can remember them doing that quite a bit when they were an IA group. I dug their psycho show!

Another group that has fallen into this rut is Flanagan...and James Logan use that rut, but has since really started morphing themselves and that has been really nice to see!

yeah i know what ya mean, back when they first started competing in Open in 2003 they did a really cool origami show, and in 04 they did a cute lil show it was different and 05 they did the pretty josh groban show and they found there style that works really well for them, and they are sticking to it lol... if they ever did a fast paced show thats not pretty I think I would scratch my head and wonder if its the same shen i am used to...

yes i agree.

world class units should be trying to reinvent themselves somewhat yearly.

I dont like seeing the same..(formula) if you will from the same groups year in and year out. flannagan being a good example. the guard is very talented. but stylistically look the same year in and out.

I've seen Flanagan's 'Post Secret' show and I have to say the show is awesome. The show had a whole different feel than 'Crash' or 'Waiting For It to Hit Me'. They didn't have their floor yet .... it's supposed to be based on secrets that were sent in anonymously. I heard that they received hundreds and hundreds of them. In spite of being in a 'rut' the SW has had a meteoric rise to the top. The school itself is only 11 or 12 yeard old, their SW placed 8th in 2004, 5th in 2006, and 4th in 2007. Not too shabby.

unfortunately the trend for success in the Scholastic World class is to find your niche and stick to. Bishop Kearney stuck to the same formula for 5 years with different costumes and props and was rewarded for it. James Logan stuck to a formula for the first 8 years and was rewarded for it. Don't get me wrong I loved every single show that both of these guards put out...however they were all very similiar.

I applaud guards like Avon and Center Grove who re-invent themselves every year. It makes things more interesting.

I applaud guards like Center Grove who re-invent themselves every year. It makes things more interesting.

me too!

and center grove has done this for over 20 years!

unfortunately the trend for success in the Scholastic World class is to find your niche and stick to. Bishop Kearney stuck to the same formula for 5 years with different costumes and props and was rewarded for it. James Logan stuck to a formula for the first 8 years and was rewarded for it. Don't get me wrong I loved every single show that both of these guards put out...however they were all very similiar.

I applaud guards like Avon and Center Grove who re-invent themselves every year. It makes things more interesting.

I think the midwest SW guards have always done a really good job of reinventing themselves year after year: Avon, Centerville, Center Grove, Miamisburg, Northview.

Also, Choctaw comes to mind too. . .but they're not in the mid-west! :-)

PS....these are also the programs that have stood the test of time!

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay

PS....these are also the programs that have stood the test of time!

and that's not small task in this day and age of staff transitions,rising expenses,budget cutbacks and back room diplomacy! :ph34r:

Edited by dugg

I personally don't think guards like Flanagan or Logan have "fallen into a rut" with their shows. I think of it more as their personal signatures that set them apart from everyone else... and although, their "formula" is similar every year, each show has kept me at the edge of my seat! I love their styllistic approach to their show designs and apparently it's working in favor for the both of them - James Logan with their decade reign in SW and Flanagan moving up in place every year since their debut at WGI. :)

Edited by pawn shoppe heart

I personally don't think guards like Flanagan or Logan have "fallen into a rut" with their shows. I think of it more as their personal signatures that set them apart from everyone else... and although, their "formula" is similar every year, each show has kept me at the edge of my seat! I love their styllistic approach to their show designs and apparently it's working in favor for the both of them - James Logan with their decade reign in SW and Flanagan moving up in place every year since their debut at WGI. :)

Well, I guess if you define success as placement. . me, not so much.

formula shows to me are booooooooooring and do nothing to expand the activity, it should not be acceptable from world class group, but more importantly their staffs. With the talent that all of these groups have, stepping outside of the box should not be hard for them.

Flanagan, Logan, Shen...all their shows have blended together for me. While I enjoyed them, by the 4th year of seeing the same thing, I'm ready to see something new....

The group that really is starting to re-invent themselves year in and year out is: Avon. they blew everyone away with their innovation last year, people need to step up and follow their lead.

Edited by PrfctTimeOfDay