A Drum Corps Contest this weekend

Top Cat

Why no Marines D&B Corps? Is it an academy thing only?

I think Jeff Weir of the Naval Academy corps explained it in another thread...... the Marines have a prior engagement that keeps them from appearing at this show.

And if they were at this show, they would be in exhibition, since they're a professional performance unit and the academy corps are not.

Fran

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And if they were at this show, they would be in exhibition, since they're a professional performance unit and the academy corps are not.

We have the Marine Corps D & B at the Dixie Stinger most of the time and I believe that, technically, the public does not have to pay to see the Marines D & B and could walk into the show, see and hear only the Marines D & B and leave. In other words, there is no charge to see the Marines even though they are part of our line-up of corps. I don't think anybody who comes to the show does this but I think they can.

I think Jeff Weir of the Naval Academy corps explained it in another thread...... the Marines have a prior engagement that keeps them from appearing at this show.

Fran

Fran;

Well, It really does not matter what you, Jeff or anyone here "thinks" or say.

The ** FACT ** is they are NOT a Service Academy and NOT Allowed to compete.

So, if they have a "Prior" thing, does not matter.

Fran;

Well, It really does not matter what you, Jeff or anyone here "thinks" or say.

The ** FACT ** is they are NOT a Service Academy and NOT Allowed to compete.

So, if they have a "Prior" thing, does not matter.

Did you notice I said if the Marines were to perform at this show some year, they would perform in exhibition?

No need to get all huffy about it. :P

Fran

Remember 64, the Penn Jersey Championships were on September 6th and the Livingston Hilltoppers competition was Sept. 20th. Of course you do. Plus, we started in mid to late May.

That's long in the tooth I'd say.

"Of Course You Do":

We certainly do remember "How it was", "Way Back When". Thanks for all the great memories of Randalls Island, Newark Schools Stadium, Hinchcliffe Stadium and Fairlawn HS Field in October's of so long ago.

Elphaba

"Of Course You Do":

We certainly do remember "How it was", "Way Back When". Thanks for all the great memories of Randalls Island, Newark Schools Stadium, Hinchcliffe Stadium and Fairlawn HS Field in October's of so long ago.

Elphaba

I'm surprised more people don't bring up Newark Schools Stadium. Seem's there was a contest there every other weekend. That and the joint in Union City. That little old concrete/or brick stadium with the high walls.

One thing I remember about Newark Schools Stadium are those hot dogs the vendors out on the street sold, with the red onion sauce. That made the trip worth it, even if ya didn't win the show.

I'm surprised more people don't bring up Newark Schools Stadium. Seem's there was a contest there every other weekend. That and the joint in Union City. That little old concrete/or brick stadium with the high walls.

One thing I remember about Newark Schools Stadium are those hot dogs the vendors out on the street sold, with the red onion sauce. That made the trip worth it, even if ya didn't win the show.

"Little" Roosevelt was the stadium in Union City ... used to sponsor the "Free Show" on the 4th of July ... always a stellar lineup ... you're right about Newark School Stadium ... I think it hosted the majority of the Penn-Jersey Circuit shows ... BTW ... I know the last P-J championship was held in 1965 but, when was the circuit actually formed - and who were the original corps? ... anyone know? ... I found an old ad from 1958 for a 2nd Annual Mid-Winter Penn-Jersey show featuring: St. Vinnie's, Liberty Bell, Paterson Cadets, Holy Name Cadets and St. Patrick's ... was 1957 its first year? ... the CT corps didn't hook up with them until 60 or 61 ...

Andy

Edited by ajlisko

"Little" Roosevelt was the stadium in Union City ... used to sponsor the "Free Show" on the 4th of July ... always a stellar lineup ... you're right about Newark School Stadium ... I think it hosted the majority of the Penn-Jersey Circuit shows ... BTW ... I know the last P-J championship was held in 1965 but, when was the circuit actually formed - and who were the original corps? ... anyone know? ... I found an old ad from 1958 for a 2nd Annual Mid-Winter Penn-Jersey show featuring: St. Vinnie's, Liberty Bell, Paterson Cadets, Holy Name Cadets and St. Patrick's ... was 1957 its first year? ... the CT corps didn't hook up with them until 60 or 61 ...

Andy

Don't know when the circuit was started. What puzzles me is who were the Pennsylvania corps? I don't recall any. Don't remember Vasella ever competing at Penn Jersey's.

Edited by gsksun4

Remember 64, the Penn Jersey Championships were on September 6th and the Livingston Hilltoppers competition was Sept. 20th. Of course you do. Plus, we started in mid to late May.

That's long in the tooth I'd say.

I was in the Hilltoppers..dad signed me up in 64, at age 10. I was in the feeder to the 'big corps'. First show I ever saw was as a runner at the September show.

I was in the Hilltoppers..dad signed me up in 64, at age 10. I was in the feeder to the 'big corps'. First show I ever saw was as a runner at the September show.

And here's the results for that show Mike.

Sunday September 20, 1964

Livingston NJ Music on the March

Position Corps Score

1 Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights 82.570

2 St. Lucy's Cadets 81.730

3 Selden Cadets 81.670

4 PAL Cadets (CT) 77.980

5 Newark Woodsiders 76.450

6 Manhattanaires 67.300

Exhibition

0 Ballantine Brewers

0 Hilltoppers