Spirit Reorganization

tpt43

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great move on Spirits part.........and so glad that Ken will still be apart of this program......it would be ashame to loose him.

It would be sort of difficult to "lose" Ken without losing our home at JSU. Our move to JSU in the fall of 2000 was entirely Ken's brainchild. As the university's Director of Bands (that was his title BEFORE the corps' move to JSU), I imagine he will always be a part of the organization in some form as long as Spirit calls JSU home.

Not to dog the corps...but can I without being verbally crucified say that I am a little skeptical? I've been hoping to see Spirit make a move to higher ground competitively for years and this kind of a change up scares me a little because it makes me wonder if they could lose momentum. Especially when it seems as though momentum is not on their side right now. It was all they could do last year to hang on for dear life to that number 12 spot. They definitely earned it but it seemeed like they did it running on fumes. I would think consistency and patience with their current resources would be neccesary to gain momentum. I just worry that a big change up could cause them to slide. Maybe in the long run it will pay off but for 2008...? Hmmmm. Like I said, I'm skeptical. I wish Spirit all the best and hope they prove my points invalid.

Not to dog the corps...but can I without being verbally crucified say that I am a little skeptical? I've been hoping to see Spirit make a move to higher ground competitively for years and this kind of a change up scares me a little because it makes me wonder if they could lose momentum. Especially when it seems as though momentum is not on their side right now. It was all they could do last year to hang on for dear life to that number 12 spot. They definitely earned it but it seemeed like they did it running on fumes. I would think consistency and patience with their current resources would be neccesary to gain momentum. I just worry that a big change up could cause them to slide. Maybe in the long run it will pay off but for 2008...? Hmmmm. Like I said, I'm skeptical. I wish Spirit all the best and hope they prove my points invalid.

Not verbally crucifying you, but there was no lack of patience on anyone's part.

An opportunity arose for the corps director to earn his Ph.D (something that's pretty valuable in the education field, BTW). For him to take advantage of that opportunity meant he would be in school all summer. To be in school all summer, he needed to scale back his hands-on involvement with the corps for the season. His responsibilities are being shifted to other very qualified and capable staff members, and he's taking a position that still keeps him involved in the organization.

I don't see that any of that should cause a loss in momentum or constitute a lack of consistency.

I can understand your concern, especially seeing how organizational in-fighting has affected some other groups in the past. But trust me, that's absolutely not the case here, and I don't think your hopes of seeing Spirit make a return to higher ground competitively should be dashed by these developments.

It seems like this will be a great thing for the corps, as the positions are more specialized, but I am just a little curious what will happen if there is ever a discrepancy between the two directors.

Fisticuffs in front of the JSU music building? :D

I would think consistency and patience with their current resources would be neccesary to gain momentum. I just worry that a big change up could cause them to slide.

I don't see why you would think that there will be any lack of consistency. The three individuals involved in this re-assignment of duties have been with the corps for a number of years. The former Assistant Director has become the Operations and Management Director...which is basically the same job only he's where the buck stops now. The former Visual and Program Coordinator is now the Director of Programming and Creative Design, which really isn't that far away from his former duties, and with Randy's resume, I'm sure he'll handle it well.

I doubt anyone will notice any difference, as most of these changes have to do with behind the scenes stuff.

Soon today?

Soon next week?

Inquiring minds want to know!