Using 2007 The Cadets as an introductory tool

2007 The Cadets show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Given that The Cadets show for 2007 was somewhat "introductory" to drum corps, would you use it to introduce a newbie to drum corps?

• Yes
    • No

So, aside from all the drama, you are saying you dont agree with me, right ?? OK, thats fine and you are allowed to do that in a free country. Just like I can perceive the Cadets performane and vision from its director as I see fit and post my thoghts about it.

You honestly think I would say something like that because I didn't agree with you? I marched with Cadets.... I'm very well used to it, I knew and expected reactions that I didn't agree with since day one when the show was announced. I've had family and friends tell me they didn't like the show and the narration, from sea to shining sea, I've heard it all from absolute hatred to love.

But I've never heard it in such an insulting manner with such a disrespectful, condescending, and almost demoralizing tone. And you don't have to be a Cadet, a drum corps member, a fan, or even a performer to take that offensively or hurtfully.

It has nothing to do with a "free country" or not. There just has to come a point!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, aside from all the drama, you are saying you dont agree with me, right ?? OK, thats fine and you are allowed to do that in a free country. Just like I can perceive the Cadets performane and vision from its director as I see fit and post my thoghts about it.

Your thoughts are fine. Your post was insulting. I think that no matter how much you didn't like the narration, it's a foolish and brazen statement to say that the use of narration was intended to obfuscate talent. That's utterly ridiculous. You're implying in one breath that they are hiding their lack of talent, and in the next breath proclaiming their high talent and excellence.

If it were me, that's what I'd find insulting. It may have been a vision. It may have been a poor design, in our opinion. But you framed your statement in a way that I'm sure you'd rather have done a different way.

I would say no, not because of the narration, or any lack of ability level or demand (there was none of that), but because the way they portray the drum corps experience is, in my opinion, not true. The members and staff dont usually act that happy or excited during rehearsal. In my experience they are usually much more sarcastic and witty and much more quick to tell you when something was "not so great" and exactly how they felt about it.

I, for one, didnt join corps to make friends (though I have made some amazing ones) but to compete and have fun doing it.

Blue Devils 2004 or 1999 would be the way to go for me. Both have champion level hornlines w/ great feet

Lets put it this way, if I may. Suppose I had a friend who never ate Italian food before, I would want to take him to the best restaurant, give him the best, most authentic dish I could think of, and let him enjoy it. Now Cadets, right off the bat, sure a great metaphor for a good restaurant. Their brass and percussion this year, a great metaphor for a superb, delicate pasta dish, say Lasagne, howver add the narration and its like putting browm gravy, no smothering the food with brown gravy and not a good , fine homemade brown gravy, but a jarred version of a cheap brown gravy all over a fine italian dish...get my point ??

Why would you take your friend to an italian restaurant and tell them to get the lasagna with brown gravy? Why wouldn't you tell them to get the dish that DIDN'T have the brown gravy (staying with your metaphor, a different amazing show by the Cadets who are the fine restaurant, that doesn't have the brown gravy, or narration...)

You honestly think I would say something like that because I didn't agree with you? I marched with Cadets.... I'm very well used to it, I knew and expected reactions that I didn't agree with since day one when the show was announced. I've had family and friends tell me they didn't like the show and the narration, from sea to shining sea, I've heard it all from absolute hatred to love.

But I've never heard it in such an insulting manner with such a disrespectful, condescending, and almost demoralizing tone. And you don't have to be a Cadet, a drum corps member, a fan, or even a performer to take that offensively or hurtfully.

It has nothing to do with a "free country" or not. There just has to come a point!

If you think his statements were disrespectful, condescending and almost demoralizing, you should have seen what was on here while you were on tour.

You know your show was great so you don't need to feed into his statements. Trust me, I have learned the hard way about defending The Cadets passionately this past summer. So sometimes you just have to ignore statements like those. You guys had a great show, and as long as you know it and enjoyed marching it, and will enjoy watching it on the DVD, that's all that counts.

Maybe the "not drum corps" statement was a little harsh as there were indeed blood, sweat, and tears left on each and every practie field, bus, and gym floor.....I take that back, but Im not looking that deep, Im looking at it as an instructional tool.

Lets put it this way, if I may. Suppose I had a friend who never ate Italian food before, I would want to take him to the best restaurant, give him the best, most authentic dish I could think of, and let him enjoy it. Now Cadets, right off the bat, sure a great metaphor for a good restaurant. Their brass and percussion this year, a great metaphor for a superb, delicate pasta dish, say Lasagne, howver add the narration and its like putting browm gravy, no smothering the food with brown gravy and not a good , fine homemade brown gravy, but a jarred version of a cheap brown gravy all over a fine italian dish...get my point ?? Yes or no its ok, but the fact is. Narration cheapened the effect of the show fram a traditional standpoint. Narration was neither thought provoking, innovative, or groundbreaking. Sophmoric, annoying, and trite, covering up a brilliant show that in reality taking narration into effect, was designed poorly. The one thing anyone will definelty take away from this show is "people talkiong throughout the entire performance"

Again,a performance that is usually made up of brass, percussion, and colorguard, now oozed cheeziness with the human voice splattered all over it. Like a great kaiser roll with poppy seeds all over it...heck who cares if you like poppy seeds or not, right ? Just "overlook" it.

When revisiting this show, in the future, if I do, it will be because I desire to see a great drill, a wonderful brass line and vintage Cadets ensemble production. I will not be firing up the DVD for the vocal aspects of it.

I hope you enjoyed your season, you should feel proud, you worked hard. Just because I dodnt like it, doesnt mean someone else doesnt adore it. Its just one persons opinion, and if Im gonna have one, Im gonna be decisive about it. I truly do see the talent level this year, I do see ther awesome design of the drill, recognize the playing of the brass, the outstanding sopranos, wondeful last minute of drill, perfect or not. But, I also groan at the thought of having to hear "this I beleive" every single time for the rest of my life, if I ever choose to revisit that show again. And, it isnt an accurate representation of drum corps in general...not by a long shot if you have to start each conversation with a new person Its awesome, as long as you can get past......."

Sorry

~G~

You know, for a guy who talks such non-stop #### on an internet forum, you'd think you'd learn how to spell, type, and use proper syntax

Edited by dcpguy1111