Using 2007 The Cadets as an introductory tool

2007 The Cadets show  

123 members have voted

1. 1. Given that The Cadets show for 2007 was somewhat "introductory" to drum corps, would you use it to introduce a newbie to drum corps?

• Yes
    • No

I would show it with a disclaimer saying "This is one mans idea of drum corps, not drum corps in reality. Its a highly volitale idea that should never have been allowed to take place. Its a total misrepresentation of what drum corps should be and cheapens the fact that drum corps is about music. Talking throughout the entire production is a cheap trick to lure people in without having to utilize real creativity and talent. The real talent, the kind the kids are displaying while moving at breakneck speed, playing mature, pleasing musical passages are going unrecognized due to some amateurish words being uttered through a microphone to satisfy the ego of one person and his vision.

You have world class brass, percussion, visual and colorguard being presented to you and in dynamic contrast, a trite, second rate diatribe being forced on you not giving you the option to enjoy what is happening behind it."

Then I would show it. After that, I would show 99 Blue Devils, 00 Cadets, and 04 Cavaliers so they wouldnt run out of the room screaming :blink: ^0^ b**bs

~G~

I wasn't crazy about the Cadets narration, however, I feel posts like yours are really overstated and exagerrated

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is the show not drum corps in reality? That makes absolutely no sense.

yeah....G, i agree with a lot of what you say, especially the comparisons in quality between the narration vs the other elements, but Im pretty sure it is drum corps - at least until they get kicked out or something....

Couldn't this be said of many drum corps shows?

Yes.

Im not saying its right or wrong, but the example used here is pretty silly.

Pretty silly, huh? Thems fightin' words! Why I aughta!! :blink:

:P

Yes.

Pretty silly, huh? Thems fightin' words! Why I aughta!! :blink:

:P

No seriously...i just watched the show again on espn. Im guessing any new fan would think the show was amazing, get some of the narration, and probably comment on the cheese factor of the other lines. Most newbies i've exposed to this show have thought it was incredible, but not been huge fans of the narration. Just my experience...

NO WAY! Been there, done that. Unanimous negative reaction taught me a lesson.

I changed jobs this year, and was in the process of indoctinating a whole group of people to the activity. I used the mid-season DVD to illustrate what my daughter was doing for the summer, and where I was going every weekend. Overall reaction to what they saw was good, but the reaction to Cadets was unanimous. Everyone had negative reactions to the constant talking. I said nothing about any of the corps on the DVD in advance, so as to not taint anything. No more than 2 individuals watched at a time, so there was no "mob" mentatily to the reaction. There was only one positive comment made about Cadets visual program ( a cool drill move near the end of the show), otherwise the only comments were negative about the narration. All of this came from people that knew nothing about drum corps (though a few do know college marching band pretty well from their college football games) or the controversy regarding the use of narration.

Edited by SkyRyder_FMM

I would show it with a disclaimer saying "This is one mans idea of drum corps, not drum corps in reality. Its a highly volitale idea that should never have been allowed to take place. Its a total misrepresentation of what drum corps should be and cheapens the fact that drum corps is about music. Talking throughout the entire production is a cheap trick to lure people in without having to utilize real creativity and talent. The real talent, the kind the kids are displaying while moving at breakneck speed, playing mature, pleasing musical passages are going unrecognized due to some amateurish words being uttered through a microphone to satisfy the ego of one person and his vision.

You have world class brass, percussion, visual and colorguard being presented to you and in dynamic contrast, a trite, second rate diatribe being forced on you not giving you the option to enjoy what is happening behind it."

I can choose differently... but I choose to take your disclaimer offensively. It's very rude and almost hurtful how personal your disclaimer is. I don't believe that any of the members or staff made personal attacks to you. The entire "disclaimer" is virtual a garbage bin label. Personally, I would have you neither show anyone the dvd or watch it yourself, so that such hurtful messages aren't spread around. There's one thing of saying your opinion and there's another to almost verbally embarrass a performer.

You sir, yourself a good favor, and don't show anyone the 2007 if it was such garbage to you. In fact, do me a favor, take the dvd out, copy out the blue devils, and smash our performance. Take a torch and burn the living daylights out of it. That would be easier for me to swallow than to watch you give that disclaimer to someone.

I can tell you that I didn't like the narration, most of the members laughed in the beginning. But as the summer progressed, it became natural, thus, we virtually ignored it because we had much more on our plates. Trust me, it was just like any other drum corps show that didn't use narration. We, as members, on the field, rehearsed on making the darn thing clean as possible.

Sometimes the format and the manner in which you post makes me, as a member, feel that all we had in our show was only and solely, narration. I hope you realize that the narration wasn't 100% of the show nor 100% of the arduous summer cleaning process. However, this could be the way you see the program.

But I'd like you to take multiple looks at the program. Your ears and eyes are yours but it's in your hand to choose if the narration would overshadow anything that we were doing down there. As you said, there is "real talent", I guess if that's what you call it. I don't think the narration hid foot phasing or inconsistencies in playing.

Edited by Mouthpiece1234

I can choose differently... but I choose to take your disclaimer offensively. It's very rude and almost hurtful how personal your disclaimer is. I don't believe that any of the members or staff made personal attacks to you. The entire "disclaimer" is virtual a garbage bin label. Personally, I would have you neither show anyone the dvd or watch it yourself, so that such hurtful messages aren't spread around. There's one thing of saying your opinion and there's another to almost verbally embarrass a performer.

You sir, yourself a good favor, and don't show anyone the 2007 if it was such garbage to you.

I can tell you that I didn't like the narration, most of the members laughed in the beginning. But as the summer progressed, it became natural, thus, we virtually ignored it because we had much more on our plates. Trust me, it was just like any other drum corps show that didn't use narration. We, as members, on the field, rehearsed on making the darn thing clean as possible.

Sometimes the format and the manner in which you post makes me, as a member, feel that all we had in our show was only and solely, narration. I hope you realize that the narration wasn't 100% of the show nor 100% of the arduous summer cleaning process. However, this could be the way you see the program.

But I'd like you to take multiple looks at the program. Your ears and eyes are yours but it's in your hand to choose if the narration would overshadow anything that we were doing down there. As you said, there is "real talent", I guess if that's what you call it. I don't think the narration hid foot phasing or inconsistencies in playing.

bravo and well stated! :blink:

I'd go with Cavaliers 2004 if it was a complete "n00b"....the James Bond theme is almost universal, and there's enough of old school/new school in there to get the point across about the activity.

It helps to give people a reference point...and as great as the Cadets brass book was, not a lot of new people are going to be able to take that in on first blush, especially with narration the whole time.

Blue Devils 2006, with the well-known "Godfather" theme, could work as well.

I'd go with Cavaliers 2004 if it was a complete "n00b"....the James Bond theme is almost universal, and there's enough of old school/new school in there to get the point across about the activity.

It helps to give people a reference point...and as great as the Cadets brass book was, not a lot of new people are going to be able to take that in on first blush, especially with narration the whole time.

Blue Devils 2006, with the well-known "Godfather" theme, could work as well.

I agree with you about 2004 Cavies. The recognizable music and accessible show really help the inexperienced fan get a good flavor for what the activity has to offer.