Staff Leaving SCV

Ahh, the old "many people" ploy.

Key is a hell of a guy and possibly the most successful arranger in history. We all have room for improvement, but unless you negsters are the ones out there creating the shows that the majority of the fans love, it might be good to lighten up on a major contributor to our activity.

Yes, Key writes for my corps. I enjoy working with him, and the product we create as a staff has been fun for the members as well as the fans.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that in recent years, a decent amount of the staff changes have been the result of the instructors and the alumni/front office being at odds. Some of the more big time staff that has been brought in from 2004 all the way till now has had problems with the front office people and the SCV alumni who are very vocal and opinionated about 'their' Vanguard and have made it hard for some staff members, ultimately resulting in their leaving. I don't know about the most recent staff, but this has been a recurring theme over the past few years (Gino Cipriani, Adam Sage, Myron Rosander, Jim Cassela, etc.)

Where do you get your information? I happen to know why each and everyone of those people that you mentioned left... and most of them are not for the reasons you stated!

They are fixing weak links to the corps... like their brassline. Notice the visual program has stayed in tacked.

Intact. And brass and the corps both finished 5th--not a good reason to replace brass staff! If Brad was #2, then the top two guys just both left, one for 'his' corps (Williams/Scouts), one for BCH post (Green/BStars--working with/for DVD from their Blast days). Both are understandable.

SCV had a fine product last year, and they've gotten a lot of love around here for the last couple shows they've done. Sometimes an LSU football coach will leave to go coach his alma mater, say, Notre Dame!

Look, not that this will be happening any time soon, but if I'm BCH at Boston Crusaders and I'm a vet of the Cadets, if Hoppy calls, I come running. Same if the names are Madison, Phantom, and Dan Farrell. Most of us know that we fell in love with the activity, but we bleed one corps. And almost all of us, if we had our druthers, would prefer staff positions with those corps. Exception would be that Brad probably couldn't get the BCH position at Cadets just yet. But give him a couple years. Geez, the guy's what--31? He'll get there PDQ!

So maybe SCV drops a spot or two next year. OK. They were 7th in 2006 anyways, right? They have a reputation, alright. They have a reputation for excellence, and it is going to continue. Don't get down on them b/c some staff made a decision that they feel will better them. Nick is Brad's Phi Mu Alpha Big Brother, for cryin' out loud--those two wouldn't have left without a better opportunity! And best of wishes to all corps involved as well as those two guys and anyone else who leaves SCV. They'll all survive!

What year recently did SCV play matched? I bet they didn't tilt their drums B)

I played matched 1 year marching corps ('98). It sucked. Then again, I played some tenors during the drum solo. So it helped there. ^0^

2005 when they played match, the drums were tilted.....forward!! hah

Wow....harsh sentiments by the many of which you speak. ( :blink: )

I didn't hear it that way at all. I thought they had an amazing book and played it very competently. They blew me away during the stage production at Lescher center in mid-June. Great bunch of kids with lots of class. I wish them the best next year.

definitely their most forgettable music book in the last...long while...in my opinion, of course.

Disclaimer: I love the work Murray has done with SCV as part of the percussion staff 94,96-04.

:beer::beer::blink:OH NO! Does this mean back to a match grip snare line?!!??.. <**> <**> <**>

You like 94 eh? But not 05 because it was matched. Did you happen to notice that 94 was matched too?

SCV had a fine product last year, and they've gotten a lot of love around here for the last couple shows they've done. Sometimes an LSU football coach will leave to go coach his alma mater, say, Notre Dame!

Les Miles went to Michigan

Nick did not leave SCV for Madison. SCV decided not to retain him (only god knows why) and then Madison picked him up.

Intact. And brass and the corps both finished 5th--not a good reason to replace brass staff! If Brad was #2, then the top two guys just both left, one for 'his' corps (Williams/Scouts), one for BCH post (Green/BStars--working with/for DVD from their Blast days). Both are understandable.

Look, not that this will be happening any time soon, but if I'm BCH at Boston Crusaders and I'm a vet of the Cadets, if Hoppy calls, I come running. Same if the names are Madison, Phantom, and Dan Farrell. Most of us know that we fell in love with the activity, but we bleed one corps. And almost all of us, if we had our druthers, would prefer staff positions with those corps. Exception would be that Brad probably couldn't get the BCH position at Cadets just yet. But give him a couple years. Geez, the guy's what--31? He'll get there PDQ!

So maybe SCV drops a spot or two next year. OK. They were 7th in 2006 anyways, right? They have a reputation, alright. They have a reputation for excellence, and it is going to continue. Don't get down on them b/c some staff made a decision that they feel will better them. Nick is Brad's Phi Mu Alpha Big Brother, for cryin' out loud--those two wouldn't have left without a better opportunity! And best of wishes to all corps involved as well as those two guys and anyone else who leaves SCV. They'll all survive!

They got 6th in 06 :)

You like 94 eh? But not 05 because it was matched. Did you happen to notice that 94 was matched too?
Yes but he was not the caption head, but good point, totally forgot how bad the 94 drumline was compared to all other SCV lines. Interesting how he wasn't part of the staff in 95. To see the 94 drumline in action on finals night, go to youtube. :blink:

It would be cool to see Murray along with Mr Hardimon returning to SCV. I would love to the tilt come back and keep the traditional grip. :blink:

Like I said before in jest,(Going by the last 15 yrs) it seems that whenever SCV snare lines play match exclusively, the drumline places poorly, ie 94-95, 05. :P

definitely their most forgettable music book in the last...long while...in my opinion, of course.

His music is not very effective. His band charts all sound the same and I have seen that tendancy in his SCV charts as wekll. He may be a good senior corps writer, don't know never saw the Renegades but the senior to Junior transition doesn't always work. Many examples of that.