DCI 2007, 1st-4th

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 and 2 are no question. BD was just cleaner, so they win. But Cadets had a ridiculous show that just didn't reach the performance level of BD's... Last year, I think they beat out Cavies. Their show was just so absurdly hard and exciting... Definitely going to be one of my favorites for the ages. It just wasn't performed as cleanly - sort of a BD 97 vs. Cadets 97 type thing.

3rd I'd put Phantom. And I usually hate Phantom Regiment, but their show really won me over this year. The flock at the end was pretty cool, but I thought they were kind of at that odd step size where jazz-running looks kind of awkward... or maybe they just looked kind of awkward doing it. But still, the back half of the show was pretty #### cool.

4th I'd put Coats/Crown/SCV. Pardon my anti-Cavies bias (and I'd be the first one to admit I have one), but I just thought there were better shows out there. That's just me. Disagree/flame all you want. It won't change my opinion, just as I have no intent to change anyone else's opinion that thought Cavies should've won/came in second etc. Different strokes.

1 and 2 are no question. BD was just cleaner, so they win. But Cadets had a ridiculous show that just didn't reach the performance level of BD's... Last year, I think they beat out Cavies. Their show was just so absurdly hard and exciting... Definitely going to be one of my favorites for the ages. It just wasn't performed as cleanly - sort of a BD 97 vs. Cadets 97 type thing.

3rd I'd put Phantom. And I usually hate Phantom Regiment, but their show really won me over this year. The flock at the end was pretty cool, but I thought they were kind of at that odd step size where jazz-running looks kind of awkward... or maybe they just looked kind of awkward doing it. But still, the back half of the show was pretty #### cool.

4th I'd put Coats/Crown/SCV. Pardon my anti-Cavies bias (and I'd be the first one to admit I have one), but I just thought there were better shows out there. That's just me. Disagree/flame all you want. It won't change my opinion, just as I have no intent to change anyone else's opinion that thought Cavies should've won/came in second etc. Different strokes.

Rediculous? I think not. Cadets had a show that did reach the performance level of BD's, but just didn't have what it took to win the title. BD was really clean but Cadets could have definitely overtaken them. Phantom had a great show but I really wasn't out of my seat for it. Nevertheless, they had a great show. Cavies, I liked some parts of their show, but some parts I didn't. The guard was on fire though.

Cadets

BD

PR

Cavies

1-BD ... although it didn't "reach" me like I'd like winning shows should, they were VERY good

2-Cadets ... great group -- remember 1993 when Cadets won with "When Kings Go Off to War" and Star took second with a "controversial show" yet most people agreed the "best corps" was probably Star????? I don't know that this Cadets show will grow on people over time like that 93 Star show did b/c of the narration, but outside of the narration this was a great group with a very good show ... OTHER THAN the narration.

3-Cavaliers ... not as good as "usual" for them, which means lots of people wanted to see "their corps" ahead of Cavaliers, but they were slightly ahead of everyone else in the end.

4-BLUECOATS ... when exactly did "Drum & Bugle Corps" stop rewarded to best "drums" (2nd place) and "bugles" (4th, but should've been higher like the were all season, taking 1st in Quarterfinals and the only three Regionals with "everyone" there during the regular season). Granted, it works out perfectly for my corps, but I've found it funny for the last few years that visual packages seem to be more rewarded than musical packages ... this is called "Drum and Bugle corps", not "Drill and Color Guard Corps", right?

5-CCrown ... great show. Great concept presented in an awesome fashion. Nice job!!

6-Phantom

7-SCV

Edited by BlueR36

1- The Cadets, possibly one of the most amazing shows I've ever seen. Seriously, watching it over and over again, how could you not find hundreds of incredibly difficult parts. They marched and played some of the most challenging stuff at the highest tempos. In my opinion, it's been the most powerful Bb hornline I've ever heard. These kids marched and played their ##### off. Everything from the entire trumpet double tonguing to the rotating blocks at blistering speeds, these guys made clear that they were doing some of the hardest material seen. The last company front to the end of the show flying at 215 bpms has, in my mind, become the most challenging finish to a show I've ever seen. They just kept coming and coming and coming. This show was absolutely flooring in talent (with VOLUME) and a shear ###### off attitude.

2- Blue Devils - Clean performance and a great opener. However, I didn't really find the drill effective. They would get second mainly because of their execution. However, this certainly wasn't clean as past Blue Devils performances. I don't know, past the opener, it just became very lackluster towards the end. The closing few moves really didn't do it for me. I mean especially after what Phantom Regiment and the Cadets finished with, it was very weak. Though I did applaud the Blue Devils' outstanding spirit that they had within their performances. Started great but ended very very weak. They did do some demanding stuff out there, playing especially, however a lot of times it was simply park and blow. I'm not saying this show wasn't hard, it was not impressive considering what the corps put out before them. Again great opener.

3- Phantom Regiment - Absolutely wonderful. Great show with amazing energy, however I felt that were a little flat finals night. This one gorgeous ballad by the way. What I was most impressed was the great connection that the two players for the duet had with each other. I thought that playing, many things, were right on the money in terms of expression and demand. Though, I did find the drill most of the time to be ineffective. This lack off effect in the drill sometimes comes off a bit of a problem for the corps

4- The Cavaliers - Great great show. I loved every minute of it, except that it was missing some kind of oomph to the show. I was very happy that the cavaliers did attempt to play something of a different style. I wish that the Cavaliers would continue in such a manner of shows, something more musical and demanding at the same time. Wow was it a fast show! I was very happy to see that the Cavaliers weren't doing their typical 2000 "neo drum corps" music similar to 2000-2003, 2006. It was certainly a great divergence from the norm.