Quick, I've got a Suncoast Sound question

t-mac

Gee.......I miss Suncoast.

A LOT.

That hornline in the years 1982 until 1985 or 86 was just monster good. Aquarius absolutely rocked and the "America/Can't Get No Satisfaction" juxtaposition is something that I, as an adult who has been playing and paying attention to music for about 35 years, appreciate more now than I did as a 21 year-old marching my final season of drum corps in 1984.

I do miss Suncoast. That hornline. That crisp uniform. Man, were they fine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...*sigh*...

Greatest Love...

:angel:

Gee.......I miss Suncoast.

A LOT.

That hornline in the years 1982 until 1985 or 86 was just monster good.

Definitely got to include 86 in that range. IMO 86 was their finest hornline, and one of the finest ever of any corps, any era.

The '84 show had the bomb form with the circle slash around it (No bombs) that came to the fifty and morphed into the mushroom cloud, and believe me. this show was very controversial for it's time. It has gotten way more love and respect over the years than it did in 1984, I can tell you that much.

I have never seen the '88 show, which I've heard was also very controversial, but it would appear that some images from '84 were carried over to '88.

Thank you for reminding me of that. I haven't had a chance to slap in the DVD. I just don't remember 1984 being all that controversial, but if it was, it was WAY overshadowed by the 1988 show.

Don't think the 88 show had the bomb to "shroom cloud" drill.

That was 84

There was a mushroom cloud in the 1988 drill. That's the one to which I was referring. I didn't remember the mushroom in 1984 until someone above reminded me of it.

After writing about a few hundred shows over the years, a lot start to blend together!

Some of my favorite instructors--ever--had been a part of Suncoast. I worked under them at a different corps, since I marched in 05, but I also live in Tampa Bay now and Suncoast has a special place in my heart. Some of the things that the design staff and instructors there accomplished were truly remarkable.

There was a mushroom cloud in the 1988 drill. That's the one to which I was referring. I didn't remember the mushroom in 1984 until someone above reminded me of it.

After writing about a few hundred shows over the years, a lot start to blend together!

Hey Mike, your write up of Suncoast during that time was so good that it is pasted on the Suncoast Sound alumni website.

To refresh your memory click here!

click on multimedia and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Really ........ well at least I remember I was with them in 88 even if I don't remember what I wrote.