Slim pickings for DCA corps in the South......

Hey dude, you're way way out there in left field. This has NOTHING to do with the Civil War. Using the term "Confederates" is just a little creative writing on my part. A lot of us "down here" refer to ourselves as Confederates, Rebels, Southerners and the like. You wouldn't understand unless you were born and raised here. That's just how we talk. Nothing about the Blue and Grey/Gray at all.

Have nothing against Rochester NY either. I'm just not going to get on a bus and ride all the way up there from Houston, New Orleans, or Pensacola for a competition. The point is that I shouldn't have to. Why aren't there competitions more centrally located further South. That's my point. The entire corps can't fly up to Rochester. Too expensive.

Just because DCA has "long been associated with the Northeast" is probably one of the main reasons there are so few corps in the South. That needs to change. A.S.A.P. There should be at least one DCA corps in every Southern state, even if they are just non-competitive or mini-corps............

i have 2 words for you..........YANKEE REBELS.............. :ph34r:

Edited by donincardona

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey dude, you're way way out there in left field. This has NOTHING to do with the Civil War. Using the term "Confederates" is just a little creative writing on my part. A lot of us "down here" refer to ourselves as Confederates, Rebels, Southerners and the like. You wouldn't understand unless you were born and raised here. That's just how we talk. Nothing about the Blue and Grey/Gray at all.

Have nothing against Rochester NY either. I'm just not going to get on a bus and ride all the way up there from Houston, New Orleans, or Pensacola for a competition. The point is that I shouldn't have to. Why aren't there competitions more centrally located further South. That's my point. The entire corps can't fly up to Rochester. Too expensive.

Just because DCA has "long been associated with the Northeast" is probably one of the main reasons there are so few corps in the South. That needs to change. A.S.A.P. There should be at least one DCA corps in every Southern state, even if they are just non-competitive or mini-corps............

Gulf Coast Sound (Houston.TX) does not seem to have a problem coming to the Championships up North. You left them off your list of Southern locations. Heck they even hold a show each year. Oh and by the way. Guess you did not get the Memo but Derby City Knights sent a mini Corps from Louisville, KY. Then too how about you look up Shenandoah Sound in Virginia. Also may have Gasparilla out of Tampa next season. Oh how about Masquarade trying to make a go of it out of the Baton Rouge, LA area. I just don't know what happened to Jackson, MS Generals. Maybe one day we will see them again also. Then lets not forget that Carolina Gold may be back in there also.

So STOP your whining and get looking around and get busy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P

OOOOppppss forgot about Austin Stars coming out next year also. (even may make Championships in Rochester!!)

So DCA South Championships could have about 6-8 groups in it.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

What with all the great corps style high school and college bands in the South, I find it hard to believe that there are so few all age corps below the Mason-Dixon line. Just about everything is up North and I mean way up there in the North. Why is that?

Lets see, we've got one corps each in Nashville, Dallas and Houston and two in Atlanta. That's it. I don't know if it's funding problems or lack of interest, but that needs to change. Maybe if there were more competitions down here, there would be more corps.

Corps are starting all over the place now! Problem is getting people in the stands. New Corps,equals little or no fan base yet. We don't have 30 years of shows, ex-marchers, and sponsors outside the North East. It will be a slow progression. Being seen in Jr shows will help. Ultimately it comes down to Quality and Entertainment.

All- Age Corps are the alternative to DCI in time commitment. Keep your job, see your family, turn on crowds on the weekend, have the love of a large drum corps family....and you don't have to stop at age 22.

Just need more time and exposure.

From a personal observation, a lot of the all-age activity in the south has been instigated by northern transplants who have either been a part of the all-age activity or always wanted to.

Not sure where you got that from.

I was a co-founder of Gold and I am from NC, never really heard of DCA before then, other than seeing the midwest corps.

MCL was founded by Brent, who also wasn't a northerner transplanted.

Frontier was founded by me

other corps I am not real sure of, don't know how many connections to the north there are.

The south is growing now because people down here see it as something they want. It takes time to build. I want more corps, but I also want the ones out there now to all take huge leaps forward in 08.

there are some folks down here that sincerely believe it isn't over....seriously..... :doh:

Yes there are. You can joke all you want, just make sure you've got yankee as the butt of the joke. I mean it's not like Gettysburg is in Pennsylvania or anything.

As far as southern corps there are pretty much at least one corps for each state. Plus or minus a few. You can't really say that about the NE. I mean where's the rhode island, maine, new hampshire, et cetera corps. Texas has two current DCA competitors. And a potential of four or five in coming years. Scream machine, Austin Stars, and somethings bound to happen in San Antonio eventually. Revo Alumni? LA has Masquerade, MS has/had Jackson Generals, GA has two, TN has MCL, the Carolinas have Gold, FL had some and will have others I guess, And KY has DCK which the .gov considers to be a southern state for some reason. Just don't expect them at DCA anytime soon with the 35 minimum rule in effect. Minicorps is fine and all, but Friday is a work day in the South.

Left field? Nawwwww. I am from the part of the country that "won the silly ### war" do I care? I have to tell one of my students to stop playing a "rebel" tune in band. It's a shame that people who were born 100 or more years after that war still carry on the thinking, but then I guess it all adds to the diversity of our country...whatever.

In time there will be more corps in DCA from every location. Speaking from left field though. Thankfully I brought my high-powered binoculars.

Gulf Coast Sound (Houston.TX) does not seem to have a problem coming to the Championships up North. You left them off your list of Southern locations. Heck they even hold a show each year.

And a good one too! Thank you!

Yes, you would think that there'd be a lot of interest in starting up more southern corps. Even with the huge amount of kids who march DCI that are from Texas (The University of Houston is a breeding ground for the Cavaliers). But sadly, when the fellas "age-out", they think that there is no DC life outside of DCI. However, that is slowly changing. I, myself, have been on Facebook inviting people to DCA shows, Open Houses, and just been telling people about marching in all-age corps. Another example, GCS has put some young 'uns on the field this year, which would spring-board them to DCI corps (Hope you guys make it), but they plan to return. We've charged them to spread the word of DCA to those who haven't heard. There, my friends, is a way to get some "fresh meat". :P

p.s. - its spelled "Y'all", a contraction of "You all". It even looks better as y'all.

Edited by G_Bass

The entire corps can't fly up to Rochester. Too expensive.

Several corps do that every year. Expensive? yeah. Worth it? ABSOLUTELY!!!

DCA won't be moving west or south anytime soon. That's where the fan base is.

Minicorps is fine and all, but Friday is a work day in the South.

you say that like it's not a work day in the North either. :ph34r:

it's called taking a vacation day or personal time off based upon hours accrued. pretty much all employers offer these perks! :)

Derby City Knights are right in the middle of it all and if you know of someone wanting to march in the area by all means let them know about us. we are all about having a great time while striving for excellence.

www.derbycityknights.org

Edited by jpalvey927