Slim pickings for DCA corps in the South......

I guess you haven't really looked at their website. WGM seems to be vehemently anti-drum corps. The founding members actually started the organization as some sort of "anti-marching in the summer" activity.

Anti-marching in the Summer (meaning personally not wanting to march in the Summer)? Yes. Anti-drum corps? Hardly.

Edited by Kev

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but to be honest, New Orleans is just too hot to do anything in the summer.

Aww come on....its not any hotter than Houston is in the summer time. Come on out and join the rockin'-est DCA corps in the South!!!

We have several people from New Orleans marching in DCA corps. One of my band students marched with GCS last season and plans to do so again thgis year possibly taking a few others with him.

We really enjoyed having Dylan and Thomas both with us this year and if the folks they are planning on bringing with them are half as good as those two then its going to be a great year for the Gulf Coast Sound drum line.

Aww come on....its not any hotter than Houston is in the summer time. Come on out and join the rockin'-est DCA corps in the South!!!

We really enjoyed having Dylan and Thomas both with us this year and if the folks they are planning on bringing with them are half as good as those two then its going to be a great year for the Gulf Coast Sound drum line.

Problem is, we usually have a football game on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. I can't excuse too many kids for DCA. It's one of the reasons "I" can't be involved.

Problem is, we usually have a football game on the Friday night of Labor Day weekend. I can't excuse too many kids for DCA. It's one of the reasons "I" can't be involved.

THE OTHER MIKE!!!!! Good to see you on DCP!

Fran

Who was the drummer that marched Southern Rebels in 74 ?

I marched SR 70-74 before switching to Bleu Raeders.

On a side note, after my 69 days in the hospital back in 04, I stepped aside from Ex Director of GNODCA. The year after that, Katrina wiped out many of the people who were involved.

GNODCA is still alive and does at least one Mardi Gras parade as well as sponsoring a winter percussion group. Many members of the percussion section have also formed a drum line and tried out for the Hornets. No word yet on that yet.

but to be honest, New Orleans is just too hot to do anything in the summer.

Maybe someday a formal mini corps will come out to play. Several people are interested in doing one but so many people are still rebuilding they just don't have the time.

One of the main problems we had in the beginning was a split of those who just wanted to come out and have a good time with old friends, and those that wanted to be super serious about performing. It's difficult to get a good common ground for both so we were pushing for a mini corps for the serious and an alumni corps for everyone.

But alas, Katrina.

We have several people from New Orleans marching in DCA corps. One of my band students marched with GCS last season and plans to do so again thgis year possibly taking a few others with him.

A MAJOR problem for us with DCA is the fact that we start school and have football games the Friday night of DCA weekend. It's only once in a great while that I have that Friday night off to attend. No, "I" can't go but my principal and his wife go EVERY year.........all the while saying, oh what a shame you have to stay for the football game.

The snare drummer from Southern Rebels was Jared Cullota. (SP?) He lasted one year of that military drill/pagentry stuff and had enough. Didn't stick around long enough to see the corps style era at LSU begin. I stuck it out because I was a huge LSU fan and was just giddy to be in LSU and marching at the games, even if it wasn't corps style. I knew that was coming, so I just toughed it out and waited.

We had some Blue Raeder drummers coming in (Clayton Kaul, Fred Molekamp, Jay Pennison)and started using their street beat in 77.

I've been in Houston since Katrina. My house in Mandeville is just a slab of concrete on a vacant lot now. I plan on moving to Pensacola as soon as my house here sells. I want to try and get "Something" going over there if possible. I had planned to be out of here by now but it has taken longer than I thought it would to move. I never got involved with GCS because I knew I would be moving and didn't want to play for 1 or 2 years and leave......

The snare drummer from Southern Rebels was Jared Cullota. (SP?) He lasted one year of that military drill/pagentry stuff and had enough. Didn't stick around long enough to see the corps style era at LSU begin. I stuck it out because I was a huge LSU fan and was just giddy to be in LSU and marching at the games, even if it wasn't corps style. I knew that was coming, so I just toughed it out and waited.

We had some Blue Raeder drummers coming in (Clayton Kaul, Fred Molekamp, Jay Pennison)and started using their street beat in 77.

I've been in Houston since Katrina. My house in Mandeville is just a slab of concrete on a vacant lot now. I plan on moving to Pensacola as soon as my house here sells. I want to try and get "Something" going over there if possible. I had planned to be out of here by now but it has taken longer than I thought it would to move. I never got involved with GCS because I knew I would be moving and didn't want to play for 1 or 2 years and leave......

WOW, I had forgotten about Jay.

By the way, the "street beat" that LSU still uses today was written by Richard Flagg and I think the Schepengrill brothers.

THE OTHER MIKE!!!!! Good to see you on DCP!

Fran

Hey buddy ole pal, check my member number. I've been around for awhile. I've just had to much fun ####### people off on RAMD to spend much time posting here, but I've been luking in the shadows.............................................

Plus, my Georgie the ###### ### poster thread that ran George off RAMD ( or at least one of the reasons ) makes me keep a low profile here.

As an aggorant ##### that I am, I get in way too many "debates" ( cough cough ) to be on a censored site as this.

Back when George first started DCP, I made it my duty to find the way around his rules and censorship such as putting a dash between letters so I could say #-#-#-#-#-#-# if I wanted to just to #-#-#-# him off.

See, I'm still the OTHER Mike ^0^

MikeD: Edited filter circumvention

FW arrived in 80. Not sure when LM got there, but it had to be 83 or after because 82 was my last year.

That all seems like ancient history now..........

Linda's first year teaching was 85, I believe, because I was a freshman that year. She was a gradass the year before. I know she took some time off in the 90's to go to washington and work on her doctorate. It seems like (I don't know for sure) that she is seriously being groomed by Frank to take over when he needs to retire. They brought Roy on sometime after '95 because he was a gradass that year.

Good discussion. Thanks for all the responses everybody. (Even the ones from you Yankees)

BTW, I didn't know there was a corps based out of Baton Rouge called Maquerade. I have both current and ex-LSU drumline friends in BR and nobody has said anything about a Corps there......

GEAUX TIGERS.....#1 in ALL the college football polls........

The Corps "Masquerade" is out of Ruston, I believe. They showed up at the Dallas DCA show and one other that escapes me at the moment.

The Corps "Masquerade" is out of Ruston, I believe. They showed up at the Dallas DCA show and one other that escapes me at the moment.

They were at Brass on the Bayou in Houston, and I think we saw them in another location as well (?). Small group, but really well balanced with a good sound. Crowd loved them here, and they threw beads out to make the fans yell even more. I suspect they will grow into a full class-A corps within the next 2 years. This was their first year out, so not many may know about them yet.

Send your friends out to their open house or camps---GCS needs some more corps and shows within an 12-hour drive :P