2008 Final$ package ticket price preview

Excellent post.

It is not the end of the world if not every drum corps fan or family can afford the super premium 5-pack of tickets.

It won't be the end of the world if drum corps no longer exists either. But that's not what we really want, is it?

And I'm the one who got called an elitist. WOW! :blink:

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not if you are buying them individually, as you have suggested.

Where are you getting the individual ticket price from? I don't see individual ticket prices listed anywhere on dci.org.

Exactly, while you are trying to make it look like its not.

What? No I'm not. All I'm saying is that the price per ticket in the package is only $7 more than the price per ticket in last years package. You're the one bringing a family of 4 into the discussion. I don't see a reason to do so because I don't see a point in saying the price increase is 4 times as much to buy 4 packages than buy a single package. That is just common sense and completely unrelated in my opinion.

It won't be the end of the world if drum corps no longer exists either. But that's not what we really want, is it?

OMG the sky is falling the sky is falling...

Like someone else said. Go. Don't go. We're not here to tell you what to do, and if you found your breaking point, that sucks. But the simple fact of the matter is that you CAN spend less than last year IF YOU WANT to. It just seems as if you're enjoying the complaining more than anything else, especially when you're comparing the highest-premium tickets.

I'm not the one decrying the death of drum corps because of a $40 change in the cost of the most expensive tickets for 5 shows.

I'm not an elitist, I'm a capitalist.

Not everyone can afford everything they want.

Where are you getting the individual ticket price from? I don't see individual ticket prices listed anywhere on dci.org.

I'm saying that if you buy individual tickets, you will not get nearly as good seats as you would if you buy the package, since the package goes on sale first. People buying the package get first choice at seating, as it should be IMO. Those who wait for individual tickets will not even have an opportunity to buy the best seats even if they want them.

What? No I'm not. All I'm saying is that the price per ticket in the package is only $7 more than the price per ticket in last years package. You're the one bringing a family of 4 into the discussion. I don't see a reason to do so because I don't see a point in saying the price increase is 4 times as much to buy 4 packages than buy a single package. That is just common sense and completely unrelated in my opinion.

Actually, you responded to my comments on a family of four and tried to minimize it all to an individual ticket. Well that's just great if only one member of the family is only going to go to one show. That's why, although what you say is true, what you say is misleading. The cost per family is exactly what I said it was. Furthermore, you base your pricing scheme on not including the Open Class shows, which must be included when buying the package this year. So that cost still exists even though you eliminated it.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

OMG the sky is falling the sky is falling...

Like someone else said. Go. Don't go. We're not here to tell you what to do, and if you found your breaking point, that sucks. But the simple fact of the matter is that you CAN spend less than last year IF YOU WANT to. It just seems as if you're enjoying the complaining more than anything else, especially when you're comparing the highest-premium tickets.

I've already made my decision. As you can tell, nobody else is going to tell me what to do. Yes you can spend less if you basically want to sit in the endzone.

The sky is not falling. I never claimed it was. However, DCI has determined that they want their product to be for the smallest viable niche that excludes many if not most people, whether it be members or fans...even corps. Back in the day, drum corps was for anyone and everyone. Membership costs were minimal and ticket prices allowed families to even treat friends to the best the activity had to offer. The same simply cannot be said today. For those of you who say that's the way it should be, don't call me an elitist. I would like to include as many as possible.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

I'm not the one decrying the death of drum corps because of a $40 change in the cost of the most expensive tickets for 5 shows.

I'm not decrying the death of drum corps either. Show me where I said that or stop putting words in my mouth.

I'm not an elitist, I'm a capitalist.

Not everyone can afford everything they want.

I will let those words speak for themselves.

Edited by DrumCorpsFan27

I'm saying that if you buy individual tickets, you will not get nearly as good seats as you would if you buy the package, since the package goes on sale first. People buying the package get first choice at seating, as it should be IMO. Those who wait for individual tickets will not even have an opportunity to buy the best seats even if they want them.

Actually, you responded to my comments on a family of four and tried to minimize it all to an individual ticket. Well that's just great if only one member of the family is only going to go to one show. That's why, although what you say is true, what you say is misleading. The cost per family is exactly what I said it was. Furthermore, you base your pricing scheme on not including the Open Class shows, which must be included when buying the package this year. So that cost still exists even though you eliminated it.

Actually I responded to Liam, not you, and said that it was a $13 increase per ticket if you completely ignored the Open Class tickets. You then jumped into that conversation accusing me of "accounting slight of hand" or whatever it was.

As for the ability to get the best tickets individually, you should check out this little known site I found. I bet you can find some of the best seats available for Quarters and Semis there, and some really good ones for Finals too. There are ways of getting tickets other than directly from DCI.

However, lets just ignore that for a second.

Lets assume that you are completely correct and that there is absolutely no way to get the best seats if you don't buy the package...

Wait a second, that would mean... *gasp* people actually bought the package!

If DCI is pricing itself out of selling the 5 pack then better tickets will be available when individual tickets go on sale because people won't buy the package.

So you see, the people who are willing to pay the price for the best seats will get the best seats and the people who are unwilling or unable to pay the price for the best seats will get whatever seats they are willing to pay for. That's the way it should be.

I'm not decrying the death of drum corps either. Show me where I said that or stop putting words in my mouth.

Here is a post talking about drum corps changing into something completely different (or in other words, the death of drum corps)

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me ... :P

Frankly DCI's slobbering all over the scholastic marching music education community seems more like pandering than a simple marketing effort to me ... All of a sudden we have a round of applause for the high school band directors at every show and discussions of "quality of education" creeping into discussions about the activity instead of the traditional references to "performance levels" (taking the emphasis away from the performers and putting it on the instructors/educators which, IMO, is BS. You can have the greatest instructors in the world, but if you don't have kids with talent and drive, it doesn't matter.) There are a whole lot of subtle and not-so-subtle vocabulary and focus changes happening in the DCI activity that borders on Orwellian "Newspeak".

I think you're right ... DCI has decided that the marching band crowd is where the most money is, and is headed towards servicing that as their primary market segment at a break-neck pace. Although OnQ seems to be going nowhere fast, I have no doubt that within 5 years you will see woodwinds and other vestiges of marching band firmly entrenched on the "drum corps" field (hey we have woodwinds in individuals already, where did you think that was going?) With finals slated to be in BOA-central for 10 years, one might well expect the evolution of the activity away from anything recognizeable as Drum Corps to happen very quickly.

The result might be highly profitable for DCI, and its members ... Not so sure about the "die-hard" drum corps fans. DCI probably realizes they can fill a lot of seats with Band Directors writing off the trip to DCI Finals as a business or continuing education expense, with school districts possibly picking up the tab. So what if they lose the current fan base as long as they replace it with a crowd that is equally, or potentially more, lucrative? Not to mention having a potiential audience that is less demanding and particular about the content and structure of the product being delivered than the "die-hards."

Bottom line is Drum Corps won't be buggy whips anymore ... They'll be something of equally marginal value to the majority of mainstream interests, but they will have also lost most of the buggy whip fanatics in the process.

Here is your response to said post about the death of drum corps.

:whistle::lol::lol::lol::lol: What he said. :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Granted the original post is only partially related to the $40 increase, so my post was a bit unfair.

I will let those words speak for themselves.

OK, because they are inherently true.

I want a new car. I can't afford it. I won't get a new car because of this.

Some people want the best finals tickets. They can't afford it. They won't get the best finals tickets because of that. This is nothing new, it has happened every year.

That is how the world works whether you like it or not.