A Marketing idea for DCI (for open class)

I was thinking earlier. It has been OVER A DECADE since the last time DCI showed highlights of the Division II/III corps on the TV broadcast. The sad part about that is that during the time they were doing it, there were no Division II/III corps that had over 90 total members (let alone a full corps like several have today). Today, you have corps who are full size with name staff designing state of the art shows. Unfortunately, not enough people know about them because not enough people see them (yadda yadda...we have all said that).

Now, I have no doubt that the Open Class plan is going to open some doors and fix some of those problems. But why not add one more thing to the plate that could help it along?

Suggestion: Put a 30 second highlight of the top two Open Class finalists on the 2008 TV broadcast like you used to do for Division II and III in the 90s

I know there are many reasons they don't anymore. The biggest reason is TIME. DCI has only so much elotted time for the TV broadcast that they hardly have enough time to fit in all of the top 12 (and as it is they really only have enough time for the top 10 with 30 second highlights of 11 and 12).

BUT!!!!!

How about in return we cut the corner on all of the documentaries. Documentaries are cool and I know why we have added so much more in the last number of years (to help those who are watching for the first time on ESPN to understand what the activity is). But is it safe to assume....THEY GET IT NOW? I know I for one could stand to have less documentary time on the broadcast. When I watch my taped recordings of the broadcast, my "FF" button is on full speed during the documentaries just like it is for the commercials. I would much rather see more corps performances and lastly...

...with the top two Open Class corps having a short highlight, I have no doubt more people would come to the Open Class shows because they've seen it on TV and actually know how good it is. It ALSO would boost sales of the Open Class DVDs. Again, people would see the top corps for themselves and realize that it's not just a 20 member hornline out there doing retro drum corps.

I know this has all been brought up before but I wanted to bring it up again because it's a new day with a new division with a new plan. Consider it?

BTW, yes I know. DCI has a website and email and I could have done this privately. But, I wanted to do this here because I KNOW DCI people read this site and I wanted to hopefully petition for this idea a little to help the process along.

30 SECOND HIGHLIGHT OF THE OPEN CLASS TOP 2 DURING THE FINALS BROADCAST IN 2008!!! LETS HAVE IT!!!! PLEASE!!!

Edited by dsb2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldnt call it 30 seconds, but in 2000 they showed very short segments of a few shows, in 2001 they showed maybe 10 second clips of each champion and thats the last ive ever seen of high lights.

so it hasnt been a full decade, only since 00/01

but it would be nice to have the honorable mention of "open class" back in the mix of the broadcast

I think the broadcast is fine as is. You place high enough, you get the bonus of being on the broadcast. Open Class corps are no worse off than many World Class corps who also get no mention on the broadcast. It's a corps responsibility to recruit. The DCI broadcast should not be given as a gift to corps who actually score lower than the 13-17 place World Class corps. The broadcast appearance is now earned by a corps...as it should be.

I think the broadcast is fine as is. You place high enough, you get the bonus of being on the broadcast. Open Class corps are no worse off than many World Class corps who also get no mention on the broadcast. It's a corps responsibility to recruit. The DCI broadcast should not be given as a gift to corps who actually score lower than the 13-17 place World Class corps. The broadcast appearance is now earned by a corps...as it should be.

:doh::doh:

That's fine and dandy for world class corps.

But if Open Class corps don't make World Class Finals then they didn't earn it?

Sheesh.

So, if what you say here is true, that means that "Open Class" corps dont "score" as high as the top 12. But honestly, I've seen higher scores in Open Class Finals then that of half the top 12. A 95 or 96 shouldn't earn you a 30 second tease? If the two seperate classes are suppoed to seem "equal", to some degree, then they should get a broadcast also. Maybe have two seperate broadcast!? WOW what an amazing idea.

No offence intended, sinply using your post as an example for me to write off of. :doh: B)

So, if what you say here is true, that means that "Open Class" corps dont "score" as high as the top 12. But honestly, I've seen higher scores in Open Class Finals then that of half the top 12. A 95 or 96 shouldn't earn you a 30 second tease? If the two seperate classes are suppoed to seem "equal", to some degree, then they should get a broadcast also. Maybe have two seperate broadcast!? WOW what an amazing idea.

No offence intended, sinply using your post as an example for me to write off of. :doh: B)

ah...scores...ON DIFFERENT SHEETS...

there is ZERO score comparison between World and Open and I don't think the proposition of putting them on same sheets is headed for the DCI BoD anytime soon.

So, the top Div. II corps this year...Spartans...they would have been sub 90...most likely an 82 or so in last year's Div I.

It's different sheets and so there can be NO comparison.

:doh::doh:

That's fine and dandy for world class corps.

But if Open Class corps don't make World Class Finals then they didn't earn it?

Sheesh.

An Open Class corps will never make World Class Finals because they are not able to be in Quarterfinals for World Class. If you are not World Class, you can't compete in the World Class Finals.

By the way...corps should recruit, it's not DCIs job. DCI is there to build overall awareness and to feature the BEST corps in the activity...not the corps that go on at 4p in the afternoon.

That's fine - everyone's entitled to an opinion. But shouldn't DCI do something to market "open class"?

This re-packaging of the divisions is being presented as part of a re-marketing strategy. What shape will that marketing take? Granted, it's only been 10 days....but DCI.org still describes divisions I/II/III in their "corps" section. Looks like the marketing approach is still a work in progress, so expect to hear suggestions from people in the meantime.

Personally, I wouldn't insist on show highlights for "open class", but I would insist that the division be mentioned on the telecast at some point in the next five years....

That's fine - everyone's entitled to an opinion. But shouldn't DCI do something to market "open class"?

This re-packaging of the divisions is being presented as part of a re-marketing strategy. What shape will that marketing take? Granted, it's only been 10 days....but DCI.org still describes divisions I/II/III in their "corps" section. Looks like the marketing approach is still a work in progress, so expect to hear suggestions from people in the meantime.

Personally, I wouldn't insist on show highlights for "open class", but I would insist that the division be mentioned on the telecast at some point in the next five years....

Agreed. However, I believe Div II/III (now Open Class) should have had a mention each year behind us as well in order to promote the activity as a whole.