A Marketing idea for DCI (for open class)

i wouldnt call it 30 seconds, but in 2000 they showed very short segments of a few shows, in 2001 they showed maybe 10 second clips of each champion and thats the last ive ever seen of high lights.

so it hasnt been a full decade, only since 00/01

but it would be nice to have the honorable mention of "open class" back in the mix of the broadcast

They were not "clips" in 2000 and 2001. They were basically slow motion animated photographs with no audio. Not the same thing at all. And while I would be happy if Open Class just had that, I would much rather see a full video clip so that people can actually see how good these corps are.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the broadcast is fine as is. You place high enough, you get the bonus of being on the broadcast. Open Class corps are no worse off than many World Class corps who also get no mention on the broadcast. It's a corps responsibility to recruit. The DCI broadcast should not be given as a gift to corps who actually score lower than the 13-17 place World Class corps. The broadcast appearance is now earned by a corps...as it should be.

Who is to say the broadcast ABSOLUTELY HAS to be centered aroind "World Class Finals". Afterall, the broadcast is listed simply as "The DCI Championships" (a VERY BROAD title). Open Class is a part of the "DCI CHampinships Event". Why can't a segment of Open Class finals be included? And like I said, they HAVE done this before. Why not do it again?

And Tom, it has NOTHING to do with "recruiting". I don't even know why you brought that up...I didn't. It's about elevating the level of prestige for Open Class and marketing the Open Class activity ITSELF...which last I checked...was the whole reason for changing the Divisions this year.

Edited by dsb2007

ah...scores...ON DIFFERENT SHEETS...

there is ZERO score comparison between World and Open...

Actually, that's not exactly true. The difference between the World Class and Open Class sheets is basically a 10 point handicap. Which means that a 95 in Open Class is equil to an 85 in World Class. And lest anyone think that is a myth (which can be myth busted anyway if you just look at the sheets themselves and compare the numbers), Magic proved this in 2002 (which was the last year a Division II corps was allowed to compete in the Division I Championship activities). I also think Academy proved this pretty weel considering they were right about the same level both in 06 and 07 (some suggesting 06 possibly being a little better) and their 06 score was a 95 and their 07 score was a high 84.

With that in mind, it's very safe to assume that the top Open Class corps are very close to the level of a DCI finalist...so why can't they have a shot at some TV time. And I'm only talking a few seconds here. Not much to ask in the grand scheme of things.

That's fine - everyone's entitled to an opinion. But shouldn't DCI do something to market "open class"?

This re-packaging of the divisions is being presented as part of a re-marketing strategy. What shape will that marketing take? Granted, it's only been 10 days....but DCI.org still describes divisions I/II/III in their "corps" section. Looks like the marketing approach is still a work in progress, so expect to hear suggestions from people in the meantime.

Personally, I wouldn't insist on show highlights for "open class", but I would insist that the division be mentioned on the telecast at some point in the next five years....

Yeah, I really think though that it would be better (and not that hard) to include a short highlight. Heck, ok...maybe lets not give them the full 30-50 seconds the 11 and 12 placing corps get. How about 15-20...REAL short. Something just to show what's going on. The level of prestige for Open Class would shoot through the roof if they did.

I think the broadcast is fine as is. You place high enough, you get the bonus of being on the broadcast. Open Class corps are no worse off than many World Class corps who also get no mention on the broadcast. It's a corps responsibility to recruit. The DCI broadcast should not be given as a gift to corps who actually score lower than the 13-17 place World Class corps. The broadcast appearance is now earned by a corps...as it should be.

Score lower according to who tom? They are not judged on the same sheets...so its not proven that the 13-17th place corps are better than the top two.

So, if what you say here is true, that means that "Open Class" corps dont "score" as high as the top 12. But honestly, I've seen higher scores in Open Class Finals then that of half the top 12. A 95 or 96 shouldn't earn you a 30 second tease? If the two seperate classes are suppoed to seem "equal", to some degree, then they should get a broadcast also. Maybe have two seperate broadcast!? WOW what an amazing idea.

No offence intended, sinply using your post as an example for me to write off of. :doh: B)

I can't see two separate broadcasts. Costs too much. And I don't think I would like it if they did that because an exclusive Open Class broadcast would lower the leve prestige which is the opposite of what I hope for. Like I said on an earlier post. The broadcast is listed as "The DCI Championships". Open Class is part of that event, why not include a couple of the Open Class finalists in there as well?

I can't see two separate broadcasts. Costs too much. And I don't think I would like it if they did that because an exclusive Open Class broadcast would lower the leve prestige which is the opposite of what I hope for. Like I said on an earlier post. The broadcast is listed as "The DCI Championships". Open Class is part of that event, why not include a couple of the Open Class finalists in there as well?

Why aren't the 13 to 17 corps screaming for coverage and all of Open Class is? Just curious?

Why aren't the 13 to 17 corps screaming for coverage and all of Open Class is? Just curious?

It's about "finalists", is it not? It's about those that have made it to the top! Well, why not feature the top of BOTH divisions and if a corps really wants coverage badly enough, apply for the division that would most likely get you that coverage and you can earn it.

But even if that's not valid, all of the world class 13-17 placing corps get some GREAT airtime already. Quarterfinals are broadcast in movie theaters...THE WHOLE SHOWS! The Open Class finalists get NOTHING (some of which ARE BETTER than some of those 13-17 placing corps without a doubt)! All I'm suggesting is 15-20 seconds of the top two from Open class. I'm not asking for an entire hour of coverage! And again, they USED to do this anyway...why can't they do it again? I really don't think it's asking much.

Edited by dsb2007

Who is to say the broadcast ABSOLUTELY HAS to be centered aroind "World Class Finals". Afterall, the broadcast is listed simply as "The DCI Championships" (a VERY BROAD title). Open Class is a part of the "DCI CHampinships Event". Why can't a segment of Open Class finals be included? And like I said, they HAVE done this before. Why not do it again?

And Tom, it has NOTHING to do with "recruiting". I don't even know why you brought that up...I didn't. It's about elevating the level of prestige for Open Class and marketing the Open Class activity ITSELF...which last I checked...was the whole reason for changing the Divisions this year.

I wasn't just quoting you...others mentioned DCIs "obligation to recruit."

And BEFORE any Open Class corps is featured, I believe the World Class corps 13-25 should be included with highlights. Why would those corps, many of whom would score higher than the Open Class corps on the same sheets, not be highlighted while Open Class corps would. That would make no sense that a Madison Scouts would not be highlighted this year but Spartans would be.