A Marketing idea for DCI (for open class)

I don't see 35 seconds being an outrageous thing to ask for.

Hey! Are you suddenly turning a corner on this whole idea?

COOL! ^OO^ Good for you! :rock:

You are right. It's probably not "outrageous" and hey...I wouldn't complain if they did air that much. I don't see it happening as easily though as 15-20 seconds and I guess the way I'm looking at it, I feel like this would have to be presented to the powers that be in a way that they would be easlily sold on. So I guess that's why I'm thinking "low". But I guess 35 seconds per Open Class corps is low enough where they wouldn't imediately say no. It's low enough to be negotiated.

And, I've been able to do some math with the FANtastic FIVE ticket for 2008. Let's say 5-6K FANtastic packages are sold. Also, let's say that $20 from each goes to open class for their two tickets. That's $100 - $120K going into the Open Class pool that never used to. Corps shares would be much better than they have ever been and that may help Open Class substantially. I know in the past it's about $50K a year for Div II/III just to break even with DCI and it appears this could help a great deal if my math is correct.

Sure!

So it may not matter if there are butts in seats (although that would be nice for the corps) as much as tickets sold.

Well, I think it does matter. There are other factors I think that go much deeper. But I understand what you are saying.

HOLY COW! Did I actually just sort of see eye to eye with Tom Brace on a dialog for once?

Edited by dsb2007

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! Are you suddenly turning a corner on this whole idea?

COOL! ^OO^ Good for you! :rock:

You are right. It's probably not "outrageous" and hey...I wouldn't complain if they did air that much. I don't see it happening as easily though as 15-20 seconds and I guess the way I'm looking at it, I feel like this would have to be presented to the powers that be in a way that they would be easlily sold on. So I guess that's why I'm thinking "low". But I guess 35 seconds per Open Class corps is low enough where they wouldn't imediately say no. It's low enough to be negotiated.

Sure!

Well, I think it does matter. There are other factors I think that go much deeper. But I understand what you are saying.

HOLY COW! Did I actually just sort of see eye to eye with Tom Brace on a dialog for once?

I know...who would've thunk it.

True, but drum corps is not as well known as college football or pro baseball. The existence of other divisions isn't common knowledge.

I don't follow baseball at all, but I know there are minor leagues. However, the average Joe who doesn't follow drum corps won't know there's an "open class" unless the broadcast tells him so.

OK, I have been away from the topic for several days. The reason the NCAA comparison does not work for me, is because even though they do not show the non-championship level teams on NCAA play-offs, the entire fiscal reality of NCAA sports cannot be compared to DCI with any level of equality. Now, I think you could argue that ESPN2 could forego showing Div II/III (open) highlights altogether and that OTHER marketing devices could be used - that that is a different argument.

OK, I have been away from the topic for several days. The reason the NCAA comparison does not work for me, is because even though they do not show the non-championship level teams on NCAA play-offs, the entire fiscal reality of NCAA sports cannot be compared to DCI with any level of equality. Now, I think you could argue that ESPN2 could forego showing Div II/III (open) highlights altogether and that OTHER marketing devices could be used - that that is a different argument.

So, in other words, you don't agree with the facts, therefore you choose not to accept the comparison.

The bottom line: the national championship broadcast of NCAA sports is set up to promote the very top of the premiere NCAA Division I schools, competing for the title. They are not obligated to mention the tens of thousands of athletes "who worked just as hard" (as we hear here so often) as the Division I teams. The mission of the broadcast is to promote the TOP teams.

As has also been explained here countless times, (and sorry if I'm coming off as being combative -- that it not my intent) ESPN2 doesn't choose what goes on the air. The corps who comprise DCI do.

But the NCAA does have those cute commercials that promote all the thousands of NCAA student-athletes who major in something other than sports. DCI could buy one of their own comercial spots during the broadcast to promote open class.

But the NCAA does have those cute commercials that promote all the thousands of NCAA student-athletes who major in something other than sports. DCI could buy one of their own comercial spots during the broadcast to promote open class.

Hey. That's not a bad compromise. You would still see clips of the corps even though it's not on the broadcast. Though I don't know if it would be more expensive that way. It may be more economical to just add them to the broadcast. Maybe I should do some asking around and get some opinions from some people who really know the inside of which idea would make the most financial success.

So, in other words, you don't agree with the facts, therefore you choose not to accept the comparison.

The bottom line: the national championship broadcast of NCAA sports is set up to promote the very top of the premiere NCAA Division I schools, competing for the title. They are not obligated to mention the tens of thousands of athletes "who worked just as hard" (as we hear here so often) as the Division I teams. The mission of the broadcast is to promote the TOP teams.

As has also been explained here countless times, (and sorry if I'm coming off as being combative -- that it not my intent) ESPN2 doesn't choose what goes on the air. The corps who comprise DCI do.

Exactly. What he ^ said is absolutely 100% correct. So maybe it's time for us to petition some of the corps directors in Open Class to present use of Open Class in the broadcast as an option.

Edited by dsb2007

Exactly. What he ^ said is absolutely 100% correct. So maybe it's time for us to petition some of the corps directors in Open Class to present use of Open Class in the broadcast as an option.

Maybe it's time for some of us to get together and chip in a few bucks to help raise the money to help with this. What could it be? $10 grand?