A Marketing idea for DCI (for open class)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know I would be satisfied, some will want more some less, but I wuld be happy, it is the World class finals, however a mention of the entire activity including the Open class is not only an 'educational' aspect, an idea DCI seems to be all over the last few years, education, but also shows that with hard work, those that wish can move through the ranks of corps at various levels and appear on the telecast. besdies, it is just plain good drum corps, and I ask again, same as the poster before me, Would it be that much of a detrement(sp) to DCI to use a couple minutes in the telecast I mean like 2 minutes 120 seconds to show some open class with a brief explanation of the structure of the class?

I know I would be satisfied, some will want more some less, but I wuld be happy, it is the World class finals, however a mention of the entire activity including the Open class is not only an 'educational' aspect, an idea DCI seems to be all over the last few years, education, but also shows that with hard work, those that wish can move through the ranks of corps at various levels and appear on the telecast. besdies, it is just plain good drum corps, and I ask again, same as the poster before me, Would it be that much of a detrement(sp) to DCI to use a couple minutes in the telecast I mean like 2 minutes 120 seconds to show some open class with a brief explanation of the structure of the class?

So that's it? 120 seconds and all this discussion goes away and everyone in Open Class is happy as a clam?

So that's it? 120 seconds and all this discussion goes away and everyone in Open Class is happy as a clam?

IF that is the case, I will personally send an e-mail to Mr. Achason and request a meeting on behalf of all Disgruntled Complainers Planet participants, and I will rationally and calmly present our collective request for a mere 120 seconds of credit to the "other" half of the DCI universe. I could almost do it on my lunch hour.

IF that is the case, I will personally send an e-mail to Mr. Achason and request a meeting on behalf of all Disgruntled Complainers Planet participants, and I will rationally and calmly present our collective request for a mere 120 seconds of credit to the "other" half of the DCI universe. I could almost do it on my lunch hour.

I actually think Open Class will be featured on next year's broadcast. I think it would be a better use than some of the corps director interviews from this year. I guess parents may want to know who is running some of these corps, but I see the point of getting information about these 20+ corps spread around the country.

But, I also think the corps need to get their audition schedules ready so when these kids are clicking DCI.com, they find plenty of Open Class corps audition opportunities in addition to the World Class auditions.

I'd say yes...2-5 minutes of a....what 70 minutes of air time minus commercials...would be great...leave it up to the Open Class corps directors on how it should be used.

I'd say yes...2-5 minutes of a....what 70 minutes of air time minus commercials...would be great...leave it up to the Open Class corps directors on how it should be used.

I'm with you on this one. But, there is a big difference between 2 minutes and 5 minutes when we're talking about broadcast TV. Even on cable.

Yeah...5 might be asking the powers for too much. Maybe this can grow to 5 minutes over time.

By the way....and this is not related to you at all...but i might be a snarky you-know-what, but my real name is on every post. I don't hide from anyone when I speak my mind. If people want to hate, that' fine, but I've posted my credentials on DCP before and people who know me know that I've continued to support Div. II/III since 1995. I've seen a lot in thi time, but it's too bad that the best corps in Open Class have to leave just to better support themselves. Imagine what Open Class would be if all of it's past champions were still making it work in Open Class. It would be a great line-up to be sure.

I remember for a number of years it was Pioneer and Mandarins....year after year with those two corps.

Well actually probably not, however, 120 seconds is still a lot better then what there was on the 2006 and 2007 broadcasts. If all the marketing and effort by both DCI and the corps themselves increases the amount of interest in Open class, the broadcast will include more over time as that is what will be determined by the activity and DCI, as it becomes better known, more 'accepted' DCI will obviously use this as a marketing tool to promote drumcorps which in turn will promote World class etc.... In the end, a small start and if everyone does their part it will increase over the years. And let's be realistic, for the first time in many years, DCI will not spend 5 minutes of air time on Open class, maybe in a few years but I really can not see that happening next year. Air time is too costly and there is already enough 'human interest' involved in drum corps that it could be 3 hour tv show and never actually see a single highlight. So for DCI to take a few or couple minutes to show Open class, this I can see happening during the 2008 DCI Championship highlights of World Class corps.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know I would be. For that matter, I would be content with less than that.

Here is the vision I had when I started this thread...

Take the highlights shown of the bottom two World Class corps from last year (bottom two from semifinals scores of course because we know Colts moved up in finas). I timed each of those highlights and they each came out to be about 35 seconds long. That's 70 seconds.

My suggestion for the Open Class is to cut that in half (there is no way they would show more of Open Class than those two World Class finalists anyway...and they shouldn't). Split that number in half...giving both of the Top 2 from Open Class about 15 to MAYBE 20 seconds each. Making for about 30-40 seconds.

That's not asking much. It's not taking away from much that is already on the broadcast (and again...cut the corners on some of the documentaries anyway...there are just way to many now). It's not taking the focus away from the World Class top 12. And it's just enough for the viewers to see the top 2 Open Class corps and say "HOLY CRAP! I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE THAT GOOD! I WILL HAVE TO GO TO A SHOW NEXT YEAR AND OR BUY THE DVDs". Then, DCI makes more money, the Open Class corps don't feel like the ugly step child to DCI and everyone is happy with what becomes a win win situation for everyone in the activity.

And again, I'm talking REAL short. 30-40 seconds total. Would I LIKE to see more? Sure. But it wouldn't be practical...and definitely not 5 minutes. Again, I would love to see it but it won't happen. Just show enough of the top 2 Open Class corps to showcase a couple of strong ending chords of the closer or a dazzling run and maybe a good drum break and I think it would do MIRACLES for the overall marketing of Open Class.

Some may say "but dsb, you said yourself they did it in the 80s and 90s and it didn't make much of a difference.". In the 80s and 90s, you didn't have corps like Academy, Blue Stars, Magic, Spartans and Jersey Surf fielding more than 50 horns and approximately 120 members with state of the art designs like Open Class has had in the last 5 or so years. Open Class corps these days would leave a much longer lasting impression than the Division II/III -Class A/A60 corps of the 80s and 90s.

This NEEDS to be done.

I can't speak for anyone else but I know I would be. For that matter, I would be content with less than that.

Here is the vision I had when I started this thread...

Take the highlights shown of the bottom two World Class corps from last year (bottom two from semifinals scores of course because we know Colts moved up in finas). I timed each of those highlights and they each came out to be about 35 seconds long. That's 70 seconds.

My suggestion for the Open Class is to cut that in half (there is no way they would show more of Open Class than those two World Class finalists anyway...and they shouldn't). Split that number in half...giving both of the Top 2 from Open Class about 15 to MAYBE 20 seconds each. Making for about 30-40 seconds.

That's not asking much. It's not taking away from much that is already on the broadcast (and again...cut the corners on some of the documentaries anyway...there are just way to many now). It's not taking the focus away from the World Class top 12. And it's just enough for the viewers to see the top 2 Open Class corps and say "HOLY CRAP! I HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE THAT GOOD! I WILL HAVE TO GO TO A SHOW NEXT YEAR AND OR BUY THE DVDs". Then, DCI makes more money, the Open Class corps don't feel like the ugly step child to DCI and everyone is happy with what becomes a win win situation for everyone in the activity.

And again, I'm talking REAL short. 30-40 seconds total. Would I LIKE to see more? Sure. But it wouldn't be practical...and definitely not 5 minutes. Again, I would love to see it but it won't happen. Just show enough of the top 2 Open Class corps to showcase a couple of strong ending chords of the closer or a dazzling run and maybe a good drum break and I think it would do MIRACLES for the overall marketing of Open Class.

Some may say "but dsb, you said yourself they did it in the 80s and 90s and it didn't make much of a difference.". In the 80s and 90s, you didn't have corps like Academy, Blue Stars, Magic, Spartans and Jersey Surf fielding more than 50 horns and approximately 120 members with state of the art designs like Open Class has had in the last 5 or so years. Open Class corps these days would leave a much longer lasting impression than the Division II/III -Class A/A60 corps of the 80s and 90s.

This NEEDS to be done.

I don't see 35 seconds being an outrageous thing to ask for. And, I've been able to do some math with the FANtastic FIVE ticket for 2008. Let's say 5-6K FANtastic packages are sold. Also, let's say that $20 from each goes to open class for their two tickets. That's $100 - $120K going into the Open Class pool that never used to. Corps shares would be much better than they have ever been and that may help Open Class substantially. I know in the past it's about $50K a year for Div II/III just to break even with DCI and it appears this could help a great deal if my math is correct.

So it may not matter if there are butts in seats (although that would be nice for the corps) as much as tickets sold.