Who would you rather see?

Easy answer. Acknowledge the existence of div. II and show the Spartans.

exactly.

think about it from a 2007 relative accomplishment standpoint.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not unfair at all. He's making the point that many people would rather highlight the rest of the non-finalists over the Open division champ because of various reasons.

How many 30 second spots are you going to see in the NLCS tonight of Tucson or C Springs? None. They might mention that a lot of the players are up from there, but they won't be showing any minor league highlights in this game or the rest of them. Similar, but not the same, of course, but his question is hardly unfair.

the minor leagues as a competitive system arent struggling for members, and exposure wouldnt really benefit them in any way.

This is a great debate, let's keep it civil and see what people think. Do we walk the talk and support Open Class or show nothing but World Class? I think we can interpret a lot from a question like this and its results.

I'd go with Spartans. Kill two birds with one stone. Promote the Open Class Champion and Division, and still see a quality corps in action.

exactly.

think about it from a 2007 relative accomplishment standpoint.

I'm not thinking about it in terms of which corps accomplished more in 2007, or which corps was more entertaining in 2007. I'm thinking about it from the standpoint of wanting div.II/III(now called "Open class") to get some exposure and some mention on the broadcast. Putting the Scouts on the broadcast would benefit the Scouts. Putting the Spartans on the broadcast would benefit ALL OF OPEN CLASS, and thus the entire activity.

Yes, and I believe he is trying to do it deliberately. Though he did re-post it in the Open Class forum too. Again, my recomendation is for you to read the thread that motivated him to start this one. It's right here..

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...howtopic=105814

So now you are a psychologist and can attribute my motivations. How gifted of you oh Frazier Crane of DCP.

Now, here's the deal. I've said as much elsewhere....but someone is trying to make this a debate on whether someone likes me or my opinions versus what the facts are.

I feel the DCI/ESPN2 broadcast has always been about raising awareness about the drum corps activity. DCI's elite corps (count the number of times Rondinaro said the word "elite" this year) are featured on the broadcast because it is not geared for drum corps diehards. It's meant as an introduction to a new audience.

My contention is that the 13-17 place corps score equal to or better than the Div.II champion would if on the same sheets. Also, the 13-17 place corps aren't out there belly aching for air time. They know that getting on the broadcast is an earned priviledge and not a right just because you are a Div. I corps.

So, if there was one 30 second spot, who should get it....Madison 15th place, or Spartans, Div. II champs. The main reason why I picked these two corps is Madison has the most name recognition of any of the 13-17 place corps, and Spartans is a reigning Div. II champion.