Most Exciting show you have ever seen?

he's thinking of JFK Stadium Across from the Spectrum...VFW's in 69 were prior to the Vet. And the Eagles played in Franklin Field which of course is a venue well known to us Drum Corps People.

Bingo! I guess it was pretty early in 1969 to have a stadium named after RFK.

They were building the Vet right next door during Nationals that year.

Its sad when you get so old you remember them building a stadium and then blowing it up.

Back on Subject: Argonne (who took 12th in 1969) also blew me away, their horn line was incredible.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you mean by "exciting".

In 1987 at the Budweiser stadium in St. Louis, the Scouts were on the field when a massive rainstorm hit. They played through their show brilliantly despite the sudden downpour. But when they started play "Stars and Stripes", LIGHTENING STRUCK INSIDE THE STADIUM. It created and effect as though the revolutionary war was on all over again, and it had the audience on its feet. It was like the fireworks from God was suddenly accompanying the show!

Edited by apoch003

Depends on what you mean by "exciting".

In 1987 at the Budweiser stadium in St. Louis, the Scouts were on the field when a massive rainstorm hit. They played through their show brilliantly despite the sudden downpour. But when they started play "Stars and Stripes", LIGHTENING STRUCK INSIDE THE STADIUM. It created and effect as though the revolutionary war was on all over again, and it had the audience on its feet. It was like the fireworks from God was suddenly accompanying the show!

It is really kind of amazing how many stories I've heard about corps doing great shows during bad weather conditions.

Although I wasn't there, my Commodore brothers who marched in 1973 tell a very similar story of their DCI prelim performance. They played "Russian Sailor's Dance" off the line that year and as they built up to their first big hit of the show, a soprano valve fluttering trill, right on cue with the hit came a bolt of lightning and huge thunder clap. It was an electric moment (pun intended) that they say helped propel them to their best performance of the year and right into finals.

You think they were good in Jersey, you should have seen them on Finals night in Buffalo

My ears are still ringing :)

I wish I could have seen the Scouts at Finals that year. What a powerhouse corps that year.

A few of my favorite shows happened in 1995.... Scouts, Cadets and Bluecoats.

Fran

I wish I could have seen the Scouts at Finals that year. What a powerhouse corps that year.

A few of my favorite shows happened in 1995.... Scouts, Cadets and Bluecoats.

Fran

I must have been sleeping through finals in 1995. I was bored throughout, except for Cavaliers. 1996, however, I loved every show, especially Magic, Crossmen, Madison, Cadets, and of course, Phantom. BD in prelims knocked me down. First hornline hit blew the stands back about 50 feet. Finals was kind of MEH. Most exciting ever - my vote - Madison Scouts 1988 DCI Finals. And yes, their opener was exciting to me. Not just Malaguena.

1995 Madison Scouts, at Giants Stadium in NJ. Absolutely overwhelming power and energy that night.

My DCI runnerup for this category: 1982 Blue Devils at the Bayonne, NJ, show. Flawless.

Fran

I remember that show well...managed to lose my 3rd valve slide snapping a horns down somewhere--at the end of La Danza I think--and marched the rest of the show thinking up alternate fingerings...

Anyway, Cadets went on after us (and that's still one of my favorite Cadets shows too).

After the show George Hopkins was walking back to the Cadets busses after retreat, and he walked right past a bunch of us. As he walked past, we heard him say "Man, we should really go on before them...maybe then we'd get some crowd response too."

We really wanted to sneak past Cadets at DCI, so the Blue Devils would have to go on after us. Turns out we managed to do that, but in reverse, by Cadets sneaking past BD...Good times, and what a fun show to march, and a fun corps to march it with.

It is really kind of amazing how many stories I've heard about corps doing great shows during bad weather conditions.

Although I wasn't there, my Commodore brothers who marched in 1973 tell a very similar story of their DCI prelim performance. They played "Russian Sailor's Dance" off the line that year and as they built up to their first big hit of the show, a soprano valve fluttering trill, right on cue with the hit came a bolt of lightning and huge thunder clap. It was an electric moment (pun intended) that they say helped propel them to their best performance of the year and right into finals.

I've often wondered what effect that had on their score. The judges absolutely put down their clip boards for about 10 seconds when that occured. Makes you wonder how many ticks went by before the panel got their collective heads back into the game. One thing is for sure - Stockton's score in prelims was up considerably compared to finals.

Another aspect of that performance that's always made me smile was the crowd reaction several minutes after that as Bonnie Ott beautifully played her solo of "Rainy Days and Mondays". GE by God - hard to beat it!

After the show George Hopkins was walking back to the Cadets busses after retreat, and he walked right past a bunch of us. As he walked past, we heard him say "Man, we should really go on before them...maybe then we'd get some crowd response too."

I think it's a testament to how powerful and appealing that '95 Scouts show was....that night at Giants Stadium, at a Cadets' home show, and with the Cadets performing their "Americana" show which was, IMO, loaded with audience appeal, it was the Scouts who pinned the applause meter that night, not the Cadets.

Fran

he's thinking of JFK Stadium Across from the Spectrum...VFW's in 69 were prior to the Vet. And the Eagles played in Franklin Field which of course is a venue well known to us Drum Corps People.

Ah, alright.

Sorry if I seemed smug. I know I wasn't around for that but...I'm a Washingtonian through and through so...I had to pipe up. :)

Anyway...horray for Franklin Field! '75 and '76 were great drum corps years.