No Love for JAZZ ?

Hi All,

If you have read my posts in the past you will have an idea at how much I believe in MODERATION. I always say it is the key to everything in life. This is no different when looking at the drum corps activity. My questions is fairly simple.....Where did the idea of corps choosing to play straight all-jazz shows go out the window? In the top 12 alone.....there use to be 3 or 4 corps that presented jazz. Now there is....ahh....none ? Most of them have gone symphonic.....

Why no love for jazz ? Doesn't anyone who gets a degree in music enjoy AMERICA's music.....JAZZ anymore ?

Curious to see what you all think.......

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so while this iis my first year in the DCI subculture, (i know a lot of you have just stopped reading LOL ) I can totally understand this. The medium lends itself to Jazz much more. I mean, I love when the hornline blasts, but there were few who actually preformed that way this season. The closest I remeember is Bluecoats program. But yeah, I can definatly see enjoying getting my face blown off in a high energy jazz program.

Okay, picture if you will...Blue Devils coming off of the line blowing...this!

I am soooo there!!! B)

I think the Blue Devils show was actually considered Jazz. We can tell however, that it's not a very jazzy arrangement.

I miss those Madison shows featuring Ballet in Brass, and Lupon, and other great jazzy tunes.

I think the Blue Devils show was actually considered Jazz. We can tell however, that it's not a very jazzy arrangement.

yeah dont know about that one.....maybe some parts of the opener, but as a show, most definitely not.

didnt academy play a swing piece this year?

true, true. symphonic jazz, but jazz i guess.

Edited by Jared_mello